Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] So, knowing what you know now…

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well I am 72 and have been going for over 60 years. Just had to do this as another 'first' - and would certainly go back.
You must be hardier than I am. I'm five years younger and eight and a half hours standing (after a couple of hours walking around Marseille) left me shattered. I'm still feeling it now...and I thought I was pretty fit.

With the heat and exhaustion, I came close to fainting on the bus back. Far too much for me

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
It was a fantastic atmosphere but I wouldn't do it again. I was on my feet for eight and a half hours, nothing when I was younger, but at nearly 67, that was tough, still feeling it now. The thought of doing that again, when I'm even older, is enough to put me off
A couple of years older than you and as l was lucky enough to get a seat in the second row of the top tier I hoped to be able to sit for most of the match. Unfortunately not ! Then in the second half a young man dressed in black carrying three beers squeezed past me just as we scored our first ……all I saw was the ball in the net , I had no idea who the scorer was. Then a little later an elderly lady to my right was pushed over and fell head first in the row beneath. She had to be helped out and I did not see her return, I only hope she was ok. Finally after we scored our penalty I was treated to a beer rinse which somewhat detracted from what should have been pure joy. On the way down the stairs we had to stand in a throng for what seemed like an eternity and then was nearly pushed over myself when the crowd had to pass through a bottleneck. This morning I awoke and my poor ears were still ringing!
I have decided I am too old for all this shit and will never go to Marseille for a game again. At least until the next time.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
A couple of years older than you and as l was lucky enough to get a seat in the second row of the top tier I hoped to be able to sit for most of the match. Unfortunately not ! Then in the second half a young man dressed in black carrying three beers squeezed past me just as we scored our first ……all I saw was the ball in the net , I had no idea who the scorer was. Then a little later an elderly lady to my right was pushed over and fell head first in the row beneath. She had to be helped out and I did not see her return, I only hope she was ok. Finally after we scored our penalty I was treated to a beer rinse which somewhat detracted from what should have been pure joy. On the way down the stairs we had to stand in a throng for what seemed like an eternity and then was nearly pushed over myself when the crowd had to pass through a bottleneck. This morning I awoke and my poor ears were still ringing!
I have decided I am too old for all this shit and will never go to Marseille for a game again. At least until the next time.
Indeed the beer chucking is the exact reason we will never have beer in the seats at the Amex. What makes people think that’s OK?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
👏🤣

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Definitely would just to experience going to a game the sensible way by ignoring all the bollox and taking the Metro. I sensibly ignored ‘don’t go into Old Port’ bollox (wife with me on non football ticket was a help) and in 3 days here have not even seen Le Vieux Bill in OP except cooped up in a van, let alone been quizzed. Standing in square for 90 minutes and taking 70 minute ride to do 3 miles direct distance was crap. Our hotel is near Castellane Metro, just 3 stops from stadium, and should have followed my instinct and used it. Some Albion fans did with no problem.

But even with the bollox, it felt like an achievement and, now wise after event, look forward to a repeat another time.

Had great chat with OM fan this morning also staying in hotel. Lives in Paris, goes to most OM games, and also supports Strasbourg. His wife thought it was a stranger when he got home after last match.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here