So its Official! We are trying for the Premiership THIS YEAR!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
feet on the ground, this bubble has got to burst some when, we will get beaten, the question is how we pick ourselves up and carry on. Gus has installed the winning mentality in to the team, and last season we were winning everything in sight, right up until we got promotion, then we got beaten, and the rest of the season went to pot. We lost a game and then suddenly we struggled to hold on to a couple of draws, (colchester and Notts County spring to mind).

Maybe it was down to already having won the league, players took their foot off the gas, and went in to holiday mode (lets not get hurt) i don't know. But what i am getting at is with the team we have, it is a while since we have been beaten in the league, and it will be a test of the players (and Gus) to see if they dust themselves off and get on with it, or dwell on it, and form drops...

i suppose we will have to wait and see, but i would love it if we could get up to the premiership....

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Why shouldn't we be a premiership team?
Surely we can compete with the likes of Bolton,Wigan,fulham etc

Mestalla

Aug 31, 2011
Valencia
I think Villarreal is a good example for your club. Fernando Roig bought this small town club, created a good club structure and they went to the 2nd B (your equivalent to L1) in 1992 to 1st division in 1998, staying definitely there since 2000. Valencia helped them loaning young players like Albelda, Palop and Angulo and they signed a big name like Martín Palermo (in Jan 01, after the interest of teams like Chelsea and West Ham), the shocking signing of the moment. In 2003 they signed a big name like Riquelme, young players like Cazorla and Reina (and veterans like Marcos Senna or Robert Pires later) and the club played the UEFA Cup semifinals (losing to Valencia, who won the competitions agaisnt Olympique Marseille). Next season they signed Pellegrini and Forlán and played again the UEFA Cup (getting to the quarter finals). So in a very few years they went to the 2nd B to play European competitions. They ended in 3rd place in la Liga next season 2004/05, alowing them to play Champions League for the first time season 2005/06 and reaching the semifinals (beaten by Arsenal for only 1 goal and Riquelme missing a penalty in the last minutes) being the best debutant in the history of this competition and beating teams like Manchester United, Rangers and Inter Milan. Next seasons they have been a consolidated team in la Liga and playing European competitions regularly and even finishing 2nd in Liga 2007/08 after Real Madrid. After Pellegrini left to sign for Real Madrid in 2009, they have been working the same way under new manager Garrido (formerly, the reserve team coach). This year they are playing Champions League again.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I think Villarreal is a good example for your club. Fernando Roig bought this small town club, created a good club structure and they went to the 2nd B (your equivalent to L1) in 1992 to 1st division in 1998, staying definitely there since 2000. Valencia helped them loaning young players like Albelda, Palop and Angulo and they signed a big name like Martín Palermo (in Jan 01, after the interest of teams like Chelsea and West Ham), the shocking signing of the moment. In 2003 they signed a big name like Riquelme, young players like Cazorla and Reina (and veterans like Marcos Senna or Robert Pires later) and the club played the UEFA Cup semifinals (losing to Valencia, who won the competitions agaisnt Olympique Marseille). Next season they signed Pellegrini and Forlán and played again the UEFA Cup (getting to the quarter finals). So in a very few years they went to the 2nd B to play European competitions. They ended in 3rd place in la Liga next season 2004/05, alowing them to play Champions League for the first time season 2005/06 and reaching the semifinals (beaten by Arsenal for only 1 goal and Riquelme missing a penalty in the last minutes) being the best debutant in the history of this competition and beating teams like Manchester United, Rangers and Inter Milan. Next seasons they have been a consolidated team in la Liga and playing European competitions regularly and even finishing 2nd in Liga 2007/08 after Real Madrid. After Pellegrini left to sign for Real Madrid in 2009, they have been working the same way under new manager Garrido (formerly, the reserve team coach). This year they are playing Champions League again.

Don't, just don't, I already think my head will explode with excitement. If I stop and analyse the comparison you have just posted, I think I will have a heart attack.

spanish seagull92

Jan 25, 2011
southern Spain
Surely if he spoke Basque he'd speak Spanish (Castillian) as well? It's my understanding that a significant portion of people in the Basque region don't speak Basque as their first language, so it'd be somewhat strange if he spoke Basque and nothing else.

Yes, Basque is like welsh if you like it's an official language but only a small number of people actually speak it

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not sure how it translates but I like the cut of your jib Mestalla,
You are a welcome addition to this board and I will be making Los Che my favourite overseas team to watch out for this season

Mestalla

Aug 31, 2011
Valencia
Don't, just don't, I already think my head will explode with excitement. If I stop and analyse the comparison you have just posted, I think I will have a heart attack.

I just thought that the starting point was similar: Bloom/Roig building a good club structure and giving the manager Poyet/Pellegrini all the support and confidence to build the squad and the way Villarreal started, merging veteran big names with young promising players, can be the same. I don't know why your club can't get promotion to the Premier next year or the following if all of them work with the same idea and in a serious way. Teams like Blackburn, Wigan, Swansea, West Brom, QPR or Norwich can't be that far. So why not?

Not sure how it translates but I like the cut of your jib Mestalla,
You are a welcome addition to this board and I will be making Los Che my favourite overseas team to watch out for this season

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be around to see how he's doing and I'm sure a lot more of valencianistas around the world will be checking this site as well.

Valencia is a very entertaining team to watch right now. With Emery's kamikaze defensive line, they can be losing 0-2 with Racing and end wining 4-3 with 2 goals in the last 2 minutes, haha. Capable of the best and the worst in the same match (dominating the ball possesion and being better than Barça at the Camp Nou in the 1st half and throwing all that hard work in a terrible 2nd half).

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I just thought that the starting point was similar: Bloom/Roig building a good club structure and giving the manager Poyet/Pellegrini all the support and confidence to build the squad and the way Villarreal started, merging veteran big names with young promising players, can be the same. I don't know why your club can't get promotion to the Premier next year or the following if all of them work with the same idea and in a serious way. Teams like Blackburn, Wigan, Swansea, West Brom, QPR or Norwich can't be that far. So why not?

Oh don't get me wrong Mestalla, I am sure we are capable with Tony Bloom, Gus and a very good squad. I'm just worried about the state of my health with all this excitement.

Originally Posted by Mestalla
Thanks for the welcome. I'll be around to see how he's doing and I'm sure a lot more of valencianistas around the world will be checking this site as well.

That would be nice, I'd like to see some of you guys posting on here.

Mestalla

Aug 31, 2011
Valencia
Oh don't get me wrong Mestalla, I am sure we are capable with Tony Bloom, Gus and a very good squad. I'm just worried about the state of my health with all this excitement.

That would be nice, I'd like to see some of you guys posting on here.

I hope the team does well this season and that your health doesn't suffer for it, haha.

I'm sure that a lot more VCF fans will show up when he starts playing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports