Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So is this the year the DS start to get first team action?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I don't know how old you are Easy, but Kevin Russell was a product of our youth system in the early eighties before being released due to the club's financial problems.

I'd have been about 12 or 13 then. I vaguely remember the player but wasn't aware he came through the ranks at the Albion. Looks like he had a reasonable journeyman career mostly around the lower leagues.

I guess that really is just about the best striker we've ever produced! Depressing.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'd have been about 12 or 13 then. I vaguely remember the player but wasn't aware he came through the ranks at the Albion. Looks like he had a reasonable journeyman career mostly around the lower leagues.

I guess that really is just about the best striker we've ever produced! Depressing.

Kevin Russell was a Pompey lad who signed as apprentice for us when he was 16 years old approx. 1982, I cannot recall him progressing anywhere near the first team whilst here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I may be overstating it, having only seen the DS a handful of times last season, but whenever I've seen them play they really do look like kids and well out of their depth. The only exceptions were Goldson, Dallison, Harper (occasionally) and oddly Akindayini. The standard of strength and maturity needs to improve this season for them to make the step up.

It was their first season in that league which includes a lot of Premier League clubs. The Academy will take time to filter through the promising youngsters.
Dallison is making the step up this season.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Premier League Steve Cook & Grant Hall both came through our academy within the last five years. Elphick a while before that.
We make good centre-halves.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sorry, I'm one season out.

Wasn't the point more how many seasons those teams that have competed no longer than ourselves have then achieved significantly more in terms of league position, including Derby who won the league ...............

I am sure we have discussed this before and I am not after a fight here, but why do you think time will inevitabley deliver increasing success, is it a new recruitment strategy, new coaching methods, some unique aspect of our training centre, or perhaps a new evolving style of play, why exactly do so many expect positive progression and successful player development as only a matter of time ??

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wasn't the point more how many seasons those teams that have competed no longer than ourselves have then achieved significantly more in terms of league position, including Derby who won the league ...............

I am sure we have discussed this before and I am not after a fight here, but why do you think time will inevitabley deliver increasing success, is it a new recruitment strategy, new coaching methods, some unique aspect of our training centre, or perhaps a new evolving style of play, why exactly do so many expect positive progression and successful player development as only a matter of time ??

If teams don't improve over time, they go backwards, so the manager needs to be sacked if this isn't happening.
The clue is in the word development. Players should be developing with experience.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Peter Ward? (Alright, in those days it was the reserves or "stiffs" but roughly the same).

P.S. Was the Great One playing in your lifetime?

I was born in 71, but my love for the Albion didn't flower until about 86, so I never saw Ward play.

We didn't exactly develop Ward though did we ? We signed him as a 20 year old in 1975, and he was in the 1st team later that same season. That doesn't really count as a home-grown or DS talent that we've nurtured. Not in my book anyway.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If teams don't improve over time, they go backwards, so the manager needs to be sacked if this isn't happening.
The clue is in the word development. Players should be developing with experience.

It can be difficult to assess Development teams, results do not necessarily offer immediate answers to whether good practice is being done or not, however I think its reasonable to expect good work will at times be rewarded by some successes, but none has happened.

We havent done very well, without a single FA youth cup win in four attempts and hardly any successes for the Development team, yet we are a Cat 1 Academy with the relevant staffing numbers and a multi million pound budget, its worth noting that there is little progression from previous historic regimes and their negligible budgets and if I was Bloom I would be looking closely at our set up and those that run it.

Its illogical to say the future will be an improving picture if nothing tangible has changed.

el punal

I was born in 71, but my love for the Albion didn't flower until about 86, so I never saw Ward play.

We didn't exactly develop Ward though did we ? We signed him as a 20 year old in 1975, and he was in the 1st team later that same season. That doesn't really count as a home-grown or DS talent that we've nurtured. Not in my book anyway.

Fair enough. I suppose in that respect you could say that the progress of Goldson has run along similar lines. Hopefully many more Albion prospects will do likewise.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We havent done very well, without a single FA youth cup win in four attempts and hardly any successes for the Development team, yet we are a Cat 1 Academy with the relevant staffing numbers and a multi million pound budget

All the gear, no idea ?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Not exactly a striker, but Lewis Dunk was second-highest scorer two seasons ago, so that surely counts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here