Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So Gus might have considered another job!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It all seems pretty good to me.

Premier League club approaches Brighton and asks for permission to speak to our Manager.
Brighton say "Yep, go ahead, we wouldn't stand in anyone's way if they feel they can further their career".
Premier League club say "Hi Mr Brighton Manager, we'd like you to come and manage us, this is what we can offer and this is our plan for the next few years".
Brighton Manager says "OK, thanks for your interest, I'll go away and have a think about it". Then comes back after a day or so and says "You know what, thanks for your offer but I think I'll stay where I am, I've got a great job and I think my prospects are better where I am at the moment".

So what's the problem? The whole situation looks great for us a club. We have Premier League clubs after our our Manager, who is happy to turn them down to stay with us, and we don't stand in the way of any Manager who wants to further their career. It just makes the Brighton job look even more attractive to any potential future Manager, for when a club finally comes in that matches Gus' ambitions.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Premier League club approaches Brighton and asks for permission to speak to our Manager.
Brighton say "Yep, go ahead, we wouldn't stand in anyone's way if they feel they can further their career".
Premier League club say "Hi Mr Brighton Manager, we'd like you to come and manage us, this is what we can offer and this is our plan for the next few years".
Brighton Manager says "OK, thanks for your interest, I'll go away and have a think about it". Then comes back after a day or so and says "You know what, thanks for your offer but I think I'll stay where I am, I've got a great job and I think my prospects are better where I am at the moment".

So what's the problem? The whole situation looks great for us a club. We have Premier League clubs after our our Manager, who is happy to turn them down to stay with us, and we don't stand in the way of any Manager who wants to further their career. It just makes the Brighton job look even more attractive to any potential future Manager, for when a club finally comes in that matches Gus' ambitions.

This, some of the speculation on here over the last couple of days has been incredible I suspect some people have severe insecurity issues. To me its a great vote of confidence in our club and Gus has conducted himself in a dignified way and until anyone can PROVE otherwise I am sticking with that view.

Can we move on now and get back to gloating over Palace and talking about the Forest game, this could be spunn in a positive way by galvanising the team to go on and deliver for the rest of the season I am even more optimistic about the playoffs now.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave

Good summary - been there myself but the approach did not go to my boss first :). Time to find something else to fuss about on NSC.........

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
For me, the only flak Gus would deserve over this is if it was his advisors who gave the Independent the idea that it was virtually a done deal. However, I think it's more likely that was just the journalist taking a punt on it and over-egging what he'd been told, either from someone close to Poyet or the Reading end of things.

Otherwise, it all seems pretty straightforward. Who wouldn't listen to an offer if they were being head-hunted? It would be foolish not to, especially as those paths may cross again elsewhere in future. That's not the same as wanting to leave.

Believe it was a game of bluff that maybe went too far but has ended with Gus having an increased budget for players

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
TB had to give permission for him to speak to Reading anyway, just like he declined Wolves permission last season. Still doubt many jobs would attract him away, Reading was a decent option because he lives fairly near there and would have had a good transfer budget next season.

No, Reading is 80 miles away and Brighton is only 55 miles from Gus's house.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Believe it was a game of bluff that maybe went too far but has ended with Gus having an increased budget for players

Based on what? And how did it go too far?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here