Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, farewell then, menthol cigarettes

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good. My wife smokes menthol cigarettes. She started smoking again 3 years ago, after a 20 year break!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
somewhat daft. is there any actual evidence to back up the claim menthols are a "gateway" to smoking? i dont recall anyone starting to smoke menthols, only a few occasional smokers for novelty. usually girls, i remember the myth that they make you impotent keeping the blokes away.

If you work in retail you'll know that corner shops selling fags to kids in school uniform is fast becoming an urban myth. Test purchases made by Trading Standards , the local police authority , trade bodies and retail chains don't use volunteers who are clearly under age but a 17 year old who will pass for being 3 or 4 years older than they actually are.

so then were are all the children getting their smokes from? uniforms is pushing it but there must be either an awful lot of soft touch corners shops, alot of kids nicking their parents fags (nothing going to change that) or not many kids taking up smoking. which apparently isnt the case. imo, the main thing is to come down hard on those selling to underage - 1 strike big fine, two strikes shop is banned from selling them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
so then were are all the children getting their smokes from? uniforms is pushing it but there must be either an awful lot of soft touch corners shops, alot of kids nicking their parents fags (nothing going to change that) or not many kids taking up smoking. which apparently isnt the case. imo, the main thing is to come down hard on those selling to underage - 1 strike big fine, two strikes shop is banned from selling them.

For some kids they don't need to nick their parents fags because their parents are buying for them , "imported" fags don't normally get sold in corner shops but are easily obtainable. There is a 3 strike rule for shops , they either get banned from selling age restricted products or are restricted on what they can sell.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I dont know anyone who smokes tailor made fags now, those that still smoke,use smuggled baccy from across the channel

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
I don't know if I'm a bit drunk and want a fag I'll just end up buying 20 and then have loads over after a night out that I'll end up smoking during the week. If I bought 10 they'd be doen by the end of the night and I wouldn't smoke again for weeks until another big night out.

Not sure they've thought about this, people are just going to buy more then they want and then smoke them.

More tax.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
There used to be menthol cigarettes called Consulate which was good tobacco for skinning up with and made a more pleasant and smooth joint. I don't know if they're still sold in the UK.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Our lead guitarist smokes these and I am guilty of pinching one off him now and again as the evening wears on and the beer starts to work.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Looks like they do hypocrisy just like ours..........

oh i think they do it far more than ours. while pontificating on smoking they are subsidising tobacco growers in Spain, Italy and Greece.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
somewhat daft. is there any actual evidence to back up the claim menthols are a "gateway" to smoking? i dont recall anyone starting to smoke menthols, only a few occasional smokers for novelty. usually girls, i remember the myth that they make you impotent keeping the blokes away.

Yep. Apparently the menthol is added specifically to reduce the pain reflex in the lung which will discourage some first time smokers, this allows for deeper inhalation too. There is also ammonia involved which speeds up the nicotine transfer into the bloodstream.

Bloke from the EU Health regulators on the radio last night also claimed that studies have shown that mentholated fags are far more difficult to quit because of these elements.

It always really hacks me off when you see kids in their school uniforms tabbing away.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Then I shall correct you, the filter and tobacco are menthol flavour. Makes it a lot less harsh using menthol instead of normal cigs :)

It just isn't right though. Tastes so weird with menthol tobacco.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Then I shall correct you, the filter and tobacco are menthol flavour. Makes it a lot less harsh using menthol instead of normal cigs :)

I know someone who has just gone over to Menthol fags as " Its nicer on my throat as it does not feel so sore " So, I'm all for banning Menthols, that sore throat is just your body's way of saying " Help ! you are killing me ". Smokers need every little reminder they can get.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It won't come in for ages, so I wouldn't worry about it, also if there is a referendum in 2017 then who knows what will happen.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It won't come in for ages, so I wouldn't worry about it, also if there is a referendum in 2017 then who knows what will happen.

They want it in before the Euro elections next May.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here