Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So far we have signed.....:.!!!ONE!!! fullback

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Yes we did hit the roof as far as the player budget goes, now we all have hope the new manager can get the best out of lesser known names.
Personally I'm optimistic as I think that even if we don't make it to the promised land then I think we will entertained by his brand of football.

Yes we now have a coach who can, hopefully, use his skills to bring out the best in all our squad, including the youngsters who were overlooked last season. To me this is a more creative and alternative approach to achieving success than having a manager who, although talented, obviously felt he needed cash in order to show what he could achieve.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Barker and Agdestein are not good enough. Barnes is played in midfield. Leo is great, but CMS and Hoskins are injured. Hoskins has given back nothing so far for his 2 years wages.

So yes, another striker in my opinion ( on my planet that is ) is vital.

Maxsimenko is a CENTRAL defender. Chicksen is a rookie at this level.

We have lost 4 midfielders, so even allowing for JFC and March that is 2 to find.

Budgetwise we have the same as last year ( supposedly ), so we have the wages of Bridge, Vicente, Spanish, Hammond, and Dicker available, given that Painter's cover Chicksen.

Disagree about Agdestein not being good enough but the rest of what you say is pretty much spot on.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes we now have a coach who can, hopefully, use his skills to bring out the best in all our squad, including the youngsters who were overlooked last season. To me this is a more creative and alternative approach to achieving success than having a manager who, although talented, obviously felt he needed cash in order to show what he could achieve.

Quite right, Lawro. And with several weeks to go, and no doubt a quite different ambience between club and manager over all things, I'm relaxed about signings and very excited about the season ahead.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not sure if you're aware but the club is looking to cut costs in all areas and this will certainly include the playing budget

Barber has said on numerous occasions that the budget is more or less the same as last year. Last year we paid out over 2 mill in transfer fees. So that doesn't fit at all.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Ulloa, Barnes (yes a striker), CMS, Hoskins and Buckley that's 5 forwards and we play 1 or 2. Yes 1 or 2 are injured at a time but plenty of cover. Barker and Agdestein are marginally better than my Nan.

Maxi is a LEFTBACK who can play Centre Back so we have 2. JFC should be on the bench EVERY game. March too quite often. Ince is solid as 5th choice CB. We have plenty at RB.

I can only really see one immense Midfielder being needed personally. We cannot spend more than last season but if we spend similar I expect 20 of the other 23 will spend a bit LESS so by comparison we'd be up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Barker and Agdestein are not good enough. Barnes is played in midfield. Leo is great, but CMS and Hoskins are injured. Hoskins has given back nothing so far for his 2 years wages.

So yes, another striker in my opinion ( on my planet that is ) is vital.

Maxsimenko is a CENTRAL defender. Chicksen is a rookie at this level.

We have lost 4 midfielders, so even allowing for JFC and March that is 2 to find.

Budgetwise we have the same as last year ( supposedly ), so we have the wages of Bridge, Vicente, Spanish, Hammond, and Dicker available, given that Painter's cover Chicksen.

Barnes was played in midfield by Gus. If Oscar is as attack minded as reported, it's far more likely he will play further forward (if we don't sell him). Maksimenko is a left sided defender who is able to play left back. A few minutes late in a couple of games, I hardly think we can write off Barker. CMS is on the road to recovery, and he and Hoskins may produce better under an attacking head coach.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ulloa, Barnes (yes a striker), CMS, Hoskins and Buckley that's 5 forwards and we play 1 or 2. Yes 1 or 2 are injured at a time but plenty of cover. Barker and Agdestein are marginally better than my Nan.

Maxi is a LEFTBACK who can play Centre Back so we have 2. JFC should be on the bench EVERY game. March too quite often. Ince is solid as 5th choice CB. We have plenty at RB.

I can only really see one immense Midfielder being needed personally. We cannot spend more than last season but if we spend similar I expect 20 of the other 23 will spend a bit LESS so by comparison we'd be up.

I believe that Maxsimenko is actually a central defender - that is what the club have been quoted as on several occasions and where he played on loan at Yeovil. We only currently have 1 ROOKIE left back, and the make shift options won't see us through if he struggles.

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
The squad is good but it is not setting things alight. Still need more options at full back and a top signing in central midfield IMO:

GKs:
Kuszczak
Brez
Ankergren

Centre Backs:
Upson
Greer
Dunk
El Abd

Right Full Backs:
Bruno
Calderon
El Abd

Left full backs:
Chicksen
Upson

Central midfielders:
Bridcutt
Crofts
Harley
Orlandi
Forster-Caskey

Right midfielders/wingers:
Buckley
Lua Lua
Orlandi

Left midfielders/wingers:
Lua Lua
Buckley
Orlandi
Chicksen

Forwards:
Ulloa
CMS
Barnes
Hoskins

Oscar has not come here and turn down other offers if he hasn't got a budget ...........Id expect a big name will be signed and maybe one or two others

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was really impressed by the look of Agdestein in the highlights against Braga, looked technically very good. Forget a loan striker, give him a run.

Dave Lopez would be smashing to get back, and a left back. And that would do for me. Give our kids a go, they're here for a reason. FFP matters.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Barnes was played in midfield by Gus. If Oscar is as attack minded as reported, it's far more likely he will play further forward (if we don't sell him). Maksimenko is a left sided defender who is able to play left back. A few minutes late in a couple of games, I hardly think we can write off Barker. CMS is on the road to recovery, and he and Hoskins may produce better under an attacking head coach.

We had the funding and desire and had identified a need to sign another striker in the last transfer window, which fell through as Norwich backed out.

I have little faith that Barker will make it at this level, and even less that Hoskins will be anything other than a waste of wages and transfer fee - 2 years and virtually no return in that time except missed chances. At least he'll be happy woth the collar-less shirts I guess.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Maxi is a centre back who looked very uncomfortable at left back v Whitehawk. Orlandi can play there, but it's a bit of a waste.
Plenty at RB? Calde and a constantly unfit Bruno. Who else?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Calm down & keep the faith. We actually have a pretty decent team already, so any signings will need to be better than we already have. I assume this can take time, especially if were looking for something specific - Which I think we are.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Maxi is a centre back who looked very uncomfortable at left back v Whitehawk. Orlandi can play there, but it's a bit of a waste.
Plenty at RB? Calde and a constantly unfit Bruno. Who else?

He's actually a left back than can also play central.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Oscar will have probably had a decent look at the squad by the time the team returns from Spain. Then we might see some new faces.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
OK I forgot Upson which makes a mockery of the thread title. The point is, apart from our new manager, our new left back and the DS, who or what is going to make the difference this season from last season. Was Gus right to question whether we have reached the roof?

Gus reached his imaginary roof. We have not reached ours.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Oscar will have probably had a decent look at the squad by the time the team returns from Spain. Then we might see some new faces.

This is the reality isn't it. The players have a fair chance. Undoubtedly, we're talking with clubs about possible players coming in but Oscar will look at his current mob first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here