Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Snus - have you heard of it?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think nearly 20% of all men and maybe 10% or so of the women in Sweden use snus.

It is absolutely without a doubt the main reason we have the lowest smoking rates in Europe (7%). Naturally, the tobacco companies dont like this so they've put endless money lobbying it to be illegal in the EU.

Lots of footballers do it as smoking harm them more than it harms most people, and there's also been a lot of Swedes in the PL which has definitely made it more popular. I know Neil Lennon started because Johan Mjällby did it and anytime a Swedish player goes home they usually bring back loads for their teammates.

The increase in cancer is not established. There's a bit of Philip Morris etc. sponsored research that indicates it, and some research that indicates there are no issues. Most likely there is a small increase in mouth cancer. To believe it would increase performance in sports is just pretty dumb unless nicotine has some great effect in that regard, which is very doubtful.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I got given some in a pub by a friend and had a go, didn't really do anything just gave me a bit of a rush, then I went back to the incredibly healthy behaviour of continuing to drink pints, don't really get why footballers do it tbh, waste of time really.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Screenshot_Snarf.jpg

It is this guy right?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’m an old git who has never touched an illegal substance so no judge at all, but apparently there is a serious addiction problem in footballers to Snus, which apparently is some kind of tobacco product. It’s banned from being sold in this country but apparently is still widely used because it’s not banned from personal usage and available to buy from other countries such as Sweden.

Trevor Sinclair is calling for it to be added to the list of banned substances footballers can’t use. Apparently there is increased cancer risk associated with this.

These facts are as per Talksport so normal warning that this may be all nonsense.

Do you use it? What is it? Why would a professional sportsman want it? Do you think any players at our club use it? I guess it is inevitable if it is as widespread as they are saying?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Snus&amp=true

Diesel

Feb 27, 2020
Used to live with a Swedish chap who gave me a couple of pouches. Nothing much to write home about really, bit of a head rush and stinging gums, but I guess it must be better than fags?

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
First girl I ever kissed had a snus under her lip. I think I was 15, and it was the very definition of an anticlimax after daydreaming about kissing sweet Jenny for years.

Didn't kiss another girl for quite some time after that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just say no, kidz :nono:

Beat me to it.

Got any Jessup Jessup, or Clarkey Cat?

Edit: just watched a bit of it again. A real pleasure seeing some of the least-appealing self-serving weird predatory 'celebrities' making absolute life-shunts of themselves in full technicolour.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Some of these manufacturers have been giving out samples at the Isle of Wight festival and offering competitions with free boat trips etc. I am surprised that these incentives are not illegal - it reminds me when my Dad once saw a Silk Cut stand at Waterloo station in rush hour, handing out sample packets of fags in the early 1990s.

I must admit that vaping is more addictive than cigarettes so cannot imagine what these are like.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think nearly 20% of all men and maybe 10% or so of the women in Sweden use snus.

It is absolutely without a doubt the main reason we have the lowest smoking rates in Europe (7%). Naturally, the tobacco companies dont like this so they've put endless money lobbying it to be illegal in the EU.

Lots of footballers do it as smoking harm them more than it harms most people, and there's also been a lot of Swedes in the PL which has definitely made it more popular. I know Neil Lennon started because Johan Mjällby did it and anytime a Swedish player goes home they usually bring back loads for their teammates.

The increase in cancer is not established. There's a bit of Philip Morris etc. sponsored research that indicates it, and some research that indicates there are no issues. Most likely there is a small increase in mouth cancer. To believe it would increase performance in sports is just pretty dumb unless nicotine has some great effect in that regard, which is very doubtful.

Is it not a tobacco product then?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Is it not a tobacco product then?

Traditionally, and the ones still sold in Sweden, Norway and Switzerland - yes.

The tobacco-filled ones are banned in the EU (and the UK, as we've kept such laws), except Sweden, so the ones you can buy here are just nicotine-soaked filler

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Traditionally, and the ones still sold in Sweden, Norway and Switzerland - yes.

The tobacco-filled ones are banned in the EU (and the UK, as we've kept such laws), except Sweden, so the ones you can buy here are just nicotine-soaked filler

I don't get why Tobacco companies would be keen to have a tobacco product banned in the EU though, as Swansman suggests they are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here