Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snowdon

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I did it a few years back John, the last leg of the 3 peaks challenge. It's by far the easiest of the 3. I did it on behalf of the BHF so they had marshals etc on route. I think it took around 4.5 hours up and down. You should be able to do it if you put in a few miles practice.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
It's a fantastic climb - and not too strenuous. We did it as the third of the three peaks, I'll never forget the sight of the sun rising as we reached the summit.

Go for it mate - use it as a chance to get fitter, but as everyone says, gradually up the training - no excuses with the South Downs on the doorstep! You won't regret it...

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Done it 3 times, found it harder when I smoked but its relatively easy. Up the Pyg Track and down the Llanberis path I think is the best way for a beginner.. enjoy...

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
We went there a few years back and after deciding we wouldn't need to book the train up the mountain, it won't be that busy, promptly drove for 3 hours and was told the train was completely booked for the day. I had my mum with me so walking was out of the question.

If you're going, book the train.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
But did you die?

I think his point was: "hope for an awful weather forecast, so the wife decides to spend the day at the shops".

Seriously, aim to get fit!

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
I "climbed" Snowdon a few weeks ago. Went up the Ranger path, which is not too strenuous and has much better views than the railway route. You can always descend by a different path as there is a bus that goes in a circuit, stopping at the start of each one. However, I didn't reach the top, as snow came in really fast. Within 15 minutes I was walking in 6 inches of snow, which was not too bad, but there was thick ice over the bare rocks which was very trecherous. Could only see a few metres. Did the sensible thing and turned round, which was a shame as only about half an hour from the summit.

Really lovely part of the world. My favourite day out was walking around Lynn Crafnant and Lynn Geirionydd, just north of Betws-Y-Coed; stunningly beautiful, peaceful lakes and beautiful pine forests.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
The wife has decided that some time this summer we are going to go to Wales and climb/walk Snowdon.

Now, I am approaching 50, I am seriously unfit, I smoke WAY too much and drink heavily at any given opportunity.
I am overweight by nearly 2 stone (according to my Doctor) and regularly suffer Gout Attacks.

Anyway, has anyone here done it, was it easy and most pressing, am I going to die.
This is quite spooky.
I have just this very day, agreed to walk up Snowdon in July for charidee.
I am the wrong side of 50 and not quite as fit as I once was.

How hard can it be? :smile:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The wife has decided that some time this summer we are going to go to Wales and climb/walk Snowdon.

Now, I am approaching 50, I am seriously unfit, I smoke WAY too much and drink heavily at any given opportunity.
I am overweight by nearly 2 stone (according to my Doctor) and regularly suffer Gout Attacks.

Anyway, has anyone here done it, was it easy and most pressing, am I going to die.

great question considering your location. I'm no expert but would recomend tackling the stairs before the mountain!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
This is quite spooky.

Please post a photo from the summit, with '**** off Wales' underneath

:thumbsup: :kiss:

Cloggie

Feb 21, 2012
Went up there on Tuesday with people from work. Did the Miners Track. Took just under 5 hours round trip. It does get quite steep in places and would recommend some training before you go. But if you take is easy and go at your own pace then no reason why you won't get up there.
The views are pretty impressive and it's well worth the effort. Just hope for good weather. We had snow at the top and very strong winds.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012

I'm definitely no athlete & I've walked up Snowdon into double figures times.

Easiest way ( as a Bolton scutter i discount paying to go on the train ) is to get the bus from Llanberis to Pen Y Pass which conveniently covers a small chunk of the climb & then walk up the Pyg Track, & come back down on the Llanberis Path which more or less runs alongside the railway back to Llanberis.

Of all my trips , it's only been completely clear at the top a couple of times & the views then are fantastic, but it's still well worth the effort on cloudier days. As others have said, check the forecast first...when it's windy, it's very, very windy at the top & quite scary.

Llanberis has Pete's Eats for quantity rather than quality food, & there are plenty pubs in which to celebrate your achievement....also, "Carry On Up The Khyber " was filmed round there,. It's ace .

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Why is it that unfit people with little or no experience always decide to start by climbing one of the big mountains?

At least we have a great mountain rescue service.

The same happens in the Alps where everyone starts by attempting Mont Blanc. Utterly bizarre.

I've done Snowdon many times and think I've seen off the summit maybe twice. It has to be said that I've also only been up there once when the train was actually running, because I tend to avoid touristy mountains in the summer. It rather defeats the point if you're just one of a huge crowd queueing to stand on the summit.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Seems strange (to me anyway) that someone can be so aware of how they're shortening their life, yet all they want to know is how hard it is to climb a hill rather than asking for advice on not dying soon.

Now's the time to plan to see the Albion playing in ten years, and work towards it. Screw walking up a hill as a one-off.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
This is quite spooky.

Over to Pele, in the studio..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here