Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Snooper's charter to extend police access to phone and internet data

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I have to say, you seem a bit unstable yourself. But I'm happy to leave you be.
You stay with Angela's very stable cosmopolitan utopia...with ever more draconian ian EU legislation tying the hands of the intelligence services..... 1 million and counting HT.... no border controls, obligations to prop up the economies of all the lame duck nations.... let's see your view from the fatherland in ten years, I suspect you may have sought out a different tune by then.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Another Franklin quote.

“It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.”

The question shouldn't be do you trust this Government (and despite my reservations about them, I just about do over this) but future governments with the increased opportunity for surveillance.

In addition, David Davis raised an interesting point yesterday that in terms of countering terrorism in this country the problem hasn't been identification of individuals deemed to be worthy of suspicion, it's been acting upon that information. In the States they now have a problem where it is information overload and instead of having too little, the job of sifting out the noise from the genuinely concerning is unbelievably resource heavy.

I very much hope this bill is treated by the Government with the respect it deserves and isn't rushed through in an underhand fashion as they have been attempting with other controversial bills of late. The other factor to consider is that the Conservative Party has a long and proud tradition of being anti-state interference that I suspect will ensure that any dodgy legislation will have trouble getting through The Lords.

I'm not against some of the stuff in this bill in principle but I do think the 'I've got nothing to hide' brigade play very fast and loose with individual liberty that once it is gone will be very hard to retrieve. It is perfectly understandable to want to stay safe but 1) In a historical context you are. Probably safer than at any time in history. 2) No amount of surveillance removes all threat, we could have a North Korean style system and there would still be threat, this debate is about where the dividing line should be, laws like this lead me to think the terrorists ARE winning.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You stay with Angela's very stable cosmopolitan utopia...with ever more draconian ian EU legislation tying the hands of the intelligence services..... 1 million and counting HT.... no border controls, obligations to prop up the economies of all the lame duck nations.... let's see your view from the fatherland in ten years, I suspect you may have sought out a different tune by then.

I've put 2nd March 2026 in my diary. Let's talk then.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
People say you don't have to worry if you have nothing to hide, and that only the authorities with the correct permission will get access to your browsing history but remember it will be the ISP's holding this data and we've all seen how good the likes of TalkTalk are at securing your data haven't we? So as soon as some hacker groups gets in, which I have no doubt they will, all your history will be in the public domain!

You then have the argument of how effective this is actually going to be. If you are up to no good chances are you will be using Tor and other encryption methods which as we have been seeing in the US these past couple of weeks the authorities are unable to get through hence the arguments with Apple.

Next is the European Court of Human rights, right to a private life, this surely breaches that?

Finally, you then have the issue of not seeing the wood for the trees. The ISP's have already indicated that the practicality of actually keeping this data is going to be a nightmare and then how do you search and filter this data? I read not so long ago (don't ask for a link I can't remember where and can't be bothered to look for it) that the police have so much data from ANPR cameras now they can rarely use it as it takes way too much time to review it and find what they are looking for.

Therefore the whole thing just seems pointless.

D

Deleted member 22389

Her cosmopolitan utopia, also best to stop people talking about on social media as well.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...acebook-s-zuckerberg-over-policing-hate-posts

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
029_viz184_watched.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here