Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking Ban in Brighton

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Any 'ban' on outdoor smoking cannot legally be enforced. It would be a 'voluntary ban'. i.e. you would be asked not to do it. #POINTLESS

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why is everyone forgetting and ignoring the fact that smokers just throw their ciggarettes away onto the floor or beach after?
Why do they feel so superior that they can do this? Fine, smoke if you really want but have a brain and tidy up after.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, we should enforce laws that already exist (littering) and not create new edicts that are legally unenforceable. It really is that simple.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It wont stop here, I already got a shock a few years ago at the Triangle Leisure Centre, Burgess Hill after my extremely fit and healthy son finished swimming there.

Went up to the canteen and he fancied the advertised burger and chips, when I asked for the salt I was told that a council initiative has withdrawn salt from their restaurant, after explaining that I do not care and would require salt they sheepishly gave me a tiny sachet of salt.

Be warned you clever, know all banning supporters, it wont stop with smoking, its only a matter of time that your local reminds you of the health issues as you order your 4th pint of your favourite beer and refuse your 6th pint.

But as usual when it impacts on your own lifestyle choices you will be outraged.

I am a non smoker by the way as are my family !!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Be warned you clever, know all banning supporters, it wont stop with smoking, its only a matter of time that your local reminds you of the health issues as you order your 4th pint of your favourite beer and refuse your 6th pint.

But as usual when it impacts on your own lifestyle choices you will be outraged.

well it is happening isnt it, creeping noise on no fat, no sugar in our foods. oh yes, a can of fizzy drink is so bad for you, but not a banana based smoothy, which has about the same about of sugar. i can see it now, pub quotas and maybe even a breathalyser, limiting to 3 units.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
ex- smoker here, i think theres one good suggestion made and one bad.

The good one is clearing up your dog ends.

The bad one is segregation. I dont mind the odd wiff of smoke, i dont buy into the passive smokers propaganda. But i dont want to be down wind of a ton of smokers puffing away, some of the cheap brands stink something rotten (which I didn't notice when i smoked) and on a beach it could be near continuous. Best if smokers are left alone to do there thing..

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
well it is happening isnt it, creeping noise on no fat, no sugar in our foods. oh yes, a can of fizzy drink is so bad for you, but not a banana based smoothy, which has about the same about of sugar. i can see it now, pub quotas and maybe even a breathalyser, limiting to 3 units.

the problem is a lot of people like life like this.

Raffish, hedonistic carefree Brighton eh.

You can jack up in the bogs on the Level in front of kids but you cant enjoy a smoke along the prom prom prom.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The Council has already said that there will be no fines and no enforcement.

They are just wasting money discussing the issue and putting it out for consultation.

Surely there are more important things to spend our Council Tax on, and far more important things for our highly remunerated councillors to be discussing?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do the council not see this as a money spinning move. Make it a byelaw as with other litter that is enforceable with an on the spot fine of £50 and employ a couple of litter wardens to patrol. 2 fines per day, which would be easy to give around Churchill Sq London Rd Brighton Pier etc and they will earn money.y The major problem is how you issue it if the offender just walks away and ignores the warden.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here