Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] #SmokeFreeGB

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Ban this, ban that, good grief where will it stop? Presumably, when everything that some small idiotic pressure groups somewhere disapprove of, has been banned.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm intrigued. Where or whom is claiming the UK is 'weed free, cocaine free and MDMA free'?

Can you buy any of it in shops, under licence for recreational use?

The very first post in this thread claims you'd have to ban ALL smoking (not making a distinction about smoking in private houses).

Without doubt the overall aim is to stop all smoking in the UK at some point in the very distant future,

My point, in response to that, is that you cannot stop ALL of it. Indeed, the fact the UK is not drug free is my whole point.

What is it with people making my own points back to me this week?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Powerful drug Nicotine, if they invented it today it would be class A, I’ve been smoke free since 2009, 20 Marlboro Lights on a weekday and more at the weekend!

12 years and I still get the odd craving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

Deleted member 2719

I have never been into fags.

I struggle to see why people choose to suck a pollutant via a stick. Is it just wanting to look like a Clint or James Dean?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Smoked from age 7 for over 50 years, probably over 40 a day till giving up about 12 years ago after very many attempts. I had no idea how addicted I was as smoking had become a normal part of life. Difficult to know you're addicted when you are.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I have never been into fags.

ohreally.gif

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Smoking related cancers took two cousins of mine in recent years, both in their early 50’s. They’d smoked since school.

We went out for a goodbye meal with one of them when he had months to live, it was a shock to see a poor guy who by then looked in his 80’s.

A terrible disease, a disgusting habit.

One or two argumentative boasters on the radio today, on 20 or 40 fags a day and apparently it does them little harm .... “one could be run over tomorrow”.

Sad.

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Back on subject I'm astonished that people haven't learned by now that prohibition NEVER works. The UK is supposedly weed free, cocaine free and MDMA free. Yeah, right :rolleyes: . If anything the smell of weed as I go for an afternoon or evening stroll along the seafront is stronger than ever.

Its not a bad smell tbh, could be worse anyway.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Smoking related cancers took two cousins of mine in recent years, both in their early 50’s. They’d smoked since school.

We went out for a goodbye meal with one of them when he had months to live, it was a shock to see a poor guy who by then looked in his 80’s.

A terrible disease, a disgusting habit.

One or two argumentative boasters on the radio today, on 20 or 40 fags a day and apparently it does them little harm .... “one could be run over tomorrow”.

Sad.
Vaping is saving lives I quit after a solid 35 years on the fags, feel great now had my lungs and heart scanned luckily no damage. When the cravings get to me I have a few puffs on the vape, nicotine is addictive yet not harmful so if I vape for the rest of my days I don’t really care plus I enjoy the sensation of smoking.

Approx 2.5m UK smokers have quit cigarettes with vaping as a quitting aid which is terrific. I can guarantee those smokers on the radio are kidding themselves because that’s what smokers do, we blame everything but the smoking when we feel unwell.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Vaping is saving lives I quit after a solid 35 years on the fags, feel great now had my lungs and heart scanned luckily no damage. When the cravings get to me I have a few puffs on the vape, nicotine is addictive yet not harmful so if I vape for the rest of my days I don’t really care plus I enjoy the sensation of smoking.

Approx 2.5m UK smokers have quit cigarettes with vaping as a quitting aid which is terrific. I can guarantee those smokers on the radio are kidding themselves because that’s what smokers do, we blame everything but the smoking when we feel unwell.

Great, honest post. Genuinely pleased to hear that.

My Dad gave up in about 1975 in his 30’s, until then Senior Service and Old Holborn roll ups ... I can remember it. Looked cool!

All his mates and his brother carried on until their ends, now all long departed, due to C or pulmonary diseases.

My Dad’s still with us aged 83, in decent health. No one could ever say for sure, but imho that lifestyle choice he made was a game changer.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Can we ban all vehicles too. Anyone know comparative deaths of second hand cigarette smoke vs vehicle pollution?

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
In Steyning there is a '20 is Plenty' campaign to try and get a 20mph speed limit throughout the whole town. Greening Steyning are behind it, there is a website with a link. They got their members, friends and family to vote for it (while the rest of the town was largely oblivious to the suggestion) so it could go forward to the Parish Council for ratification and submission up to West Sussex County Council.

The Parish Council is itself largely controlled by a few likeminded BANANA individuals (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything) and so there is a fair chance they will go for it.

In this way the residents of Steyning could find themselves driving around their own town at a snail's pace whilst the overstretched local police chase after a lycra-clad cyclist who has broken the speed limit doing 30mph down Clays Hill.

:tantrum: democracy in action.

Seems sensible to me. Just brings the speed limit in line with the speed the stiffs of Steyning drive at anyway.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Great, honest post. Genuinely pleased to hear that.

My Dad gave up in about 1975 in his 30’s, until then Senior Service and Old Holborn roll ups ... I can remember it. Looked cool!

All his mates and his brother carried on until their ends, now all long departed, due to C or pulmonary diseases.

My Dad’s still with us aged 83, in decent health. No one could ever say for sure, but imho that lifestyle choice he made was a game changer.
I planned to quit at 40 then life gets in the way and before you know it your fifty. I knew it was having an effect on my health and now things are finally going to plan in my life I want to live to enjoy it.

Your dad made the best health decision ever and probably has no effects of smoking after all this time. Of course I wish I’d never started unfortunately in 1979 it was the cool thing to do.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I planned to quit at 40 then life gets in the way and before you know it your fifty. I knew it was having an effect on my health and now things are finally going to plan in my life I want to live to enjoy it.

Your dad made the best health decision ever and probably has no effects of smoking after all this time. Of course I wish I’d never started unfortunately in 1979 it was the cool thing to do.

Never too late.

Years ago I remember a chain smoker wrote in to a newspaper GP, asking what would be the health benefits of packing it in. A happy health chronology was explained ... Day 1 .... Week 2 ..... etc. As the body rids itself of toxins and carcinogens.

Wads of cash saved too. A former colleague of mine put the money saved from stopping into a separate bank account. His first self-reward was buying a lovely watch.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

As a reluctant former smoker, I kind of hoped vaping might be the way forward. What was sickening to me was the way the ASH (Anti-smoking Hysteria) mob hurled themselves against it, furious that people might have found a way to beat smoking bans without harming themselves or anybody else. I don't know how damaging to health vaping is, but the furore against it wasn't about health, it was about the more extreme anti-smoking fanatics being thwarted.
Mind you, the vaping industry hasn't helped itself (or anybody else) with those things that puff out more vapour than a passing steam train. I don't vape, for fear of it leading me to try a fag again (years down the line of non-smoking I still get the craving for one two or three times a day) but I wish they'd done more research on the health risks of vaping rather than the headlong rush to ban it wherever possible.

P.S. I haven't been to a pub for the best part of eighteen months now - but when I do, even as a non-smoker, I'll still head for the smoking area outside - by far the friendliest and most sociable part of any pub.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
As someone heavily involved in the pub and bar game I do think we need to be slightly careful in blanket banning outdoor smoking. There seems to be this attitude that ultimately banning smoking is the right thing to do for the greater good and that's hard to deny. But there's so many things that should be banned.
There is nothing to stop a pub not allowing smoking- it's their property and they can do what they want. And clearly many would appreciate a completely smoke free outside space.
It is also the case that many, especially younger folk, love a few ciggies with their pints. I'm now 40 and the majority of people I know have smoked or would class themselves as social smokers. These people will just stay at home or go to the park. So why not leave it to us landlords? Ultimately we make decisions based on what are customers want- if they stop coming because we have smoking outside and that outweighs the benefits of allowing a few kids to harm themselves then we'd obviously think seriously hard about banning it. But banning it full stop? If you genuinely find it offensive go to a pub that has banned it, or speak to your local landlord.
I find it pretty rich that people get so riled about this whilst there's chemical factories, yuppies using logburners all year round, families with more cars than people in their household etc etc.

Edit. Or actually just ban smoking full stop.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I gave up smoking years ago but I must admit I still like the smell of tobacco smoke so if other people want to smoke it's fine by me.
Banning it seems a bit strong.

I must add I don't like the smell of vape and the ridiculous, huge sized"look at me everyone I'm vaping" cloud of vape mist that some people blow everywhere.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As a reluctant former smoker, I kind of hoped vaping might be the way forward. What was sickening to me was the way the ASH (Anti-smoking Hysteria) mob hurled themselves against it, furious that people might have found a way to beat smoking bans without harming themselves or anybody else. I don't know how damaging to health vaping is, but the furore against it wasn't about health, it was about the more extreme anti-smoking fanatics being thwarted.
Mind you, the vaping industry hasn't helped itself (or anybody else) with those things that puff out more vapour than a passing steam train. I don't vape, for fear of it leading me to try a fag again (years down the line of non-smoking I still get the craving for one two or three times a day) but I wish they'd done more research on the health risks of vaping rather than the headlong rush to ban it wherever possible.

P.S. I haven't been to a pub for the best part of eighteen months now - but when I do, even as a non-smoker, I'll still head for the smoking area outside - by far the friendliest and most sociable part of any pub.
I vape a pod system no messing about with juice just click in the pod and off you go, I like a golden tobacco flavour which is like smoking a light cigarette still gives you that pleasant after dinner cigarette hit which is nice. Can’t stand the sweet smelling vapes to sickly for my liking.

Best place to chat to the opposite sex is definitely the smoking area :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here