Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoke bombs, flares, pyro thingies

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
lol... Completly this! Most of our 'Support' are wet lettuces who don't say boo to a goose unless it's from behind the keyboard

This. Some don't even go to matches allegedly YET still spend much of the day telling others what to do at matches. Insane I know but it's true!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
lol... Completly this! Most of our 'Support' are wet lettuces who don't say boo to a goose unless it's from behind the keyboard

What does that mean? I'm part of our 'Support' what would you have me, and most of our support, do differently?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I didn't spot the failed attempt at Yeovil, but I am more confused at this pyro 'trend' in the UK. European Ultras seem to get regularly panned by the Brits, and regularly on this board. The efforts of UK clubs fans trying to mimic the Ultra style come in for even more criticism and ridicule, yet there is an appetite for playing with fireworks at football grounds, something that is very reminiscent of European/South American Ultra behaviour.

It was a lad right at the back and the wind was blowing strongly backwards so the smoke just disappeared behind the terrace :lolol:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Creaky, my percentages aren't correct. I made them up in a dramatic departure from fact because I couldn't be arsed to look into in the sure knowledge someone would find my trap irresistible and provide thus...and so the trap was sprung. Thanks.

But these things are dangerous. I made this point originally. I thing they should be banned along with bullets. And alcohol. Loads of people get assaulted because of the latter - the cause of many injuries at football matches amongst spectators.

Easier to get the actual figures than type all those decimal points :lol:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
What does that mean? I'm part of our 'Support' what would you have me, and most of our support, do differently?

Probably should have phrased a bit better and didn't mean to come across as a ****... What I suppose I'm getting at is how sterile and weak our support at games has become since the Goldstone days. I was brought up standing in the Northstand from about 5 or 6 and whilst I understand times have moved on from racism, fighting on the terraces etc I don't see where the actual atmosphere has gone at our games?

A good chunk of the vocal support from those days have been replaced with a load of whiney old women who would rather sit and swig boveril than get a serious atmosphere going to drive on the team. Maybe it's just me but thats how i see it. I probably shouldn't have used the word 'most' and used 'a lot' instead.

Just feels very tame and dumbed down at the Amex a lot of the time and i'm sure it rubs off on the team.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Probably should have phrased a bit better and didn't mean to come across as a ****... What I suppose I'm getting at is how sterile and weak our support at games has become since the Goldstone days. I was brought up standing in the Northstand from about 5 or 6 and whilst I understand times have moved on from racism, fighting on the terraces etc I don't see where the actual atmosphere has gone at our games?

A good chunk of the vocal support from those days have been replaced with a load of whiney old women who would rather sit and swig boveril than get a serious atmosphere going to drive on the team. Maybe it's just me but thats how i see it. I probably shouldn't have used the word 'most' and used 'a lot' instead.

Just feels very tame and dumbed down at the Amex a lot of the time and i'm sure it rubs off on the team.

Fair enough, well there are just about 600 in those back 4 rows of the north stand, the ones who stand throughout games. That sort of number should be more than enough to get the place rocking, that's what they all talked about when the Amex opened, but it rarely seems to happen/sound that way.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

It's an interesting point.

I think people have very short memories though. For a large part of the time the Goldstone was not a cauldron. There were very many times when silence filled the ground.

Yes the atmosphere could be electric, but it was generally when the team were playing well and winning, much like the AMEX is better when we are doing well. The last ten minutes v Bournemouth was very loud.

The other point I would make having visited most other grounds in Englandis that since all sweater stadiums the atmospheres I pretty much every single ground or stadium has died on its arse.

Previous loud grounds like West Ham, Arsenal, Birmingham etc have all become libraries.

Therefore I don't think it is fair to blame our support, it is the way football has gone.

Jan 30, 2008
It's an interesting point.

I think people have very short memories though. For a large part of the time the Goldstone was not a cauldron. There were very many times when silence filled the ground.

Yes the atmosphere could be electric, but it was generally when the team were playing well and winning, much like the AMEX is better when we are doing well. The last ten minutes v Bournemouth was very loud.

The other point I would make having visited most other grounds in Englandis that since all sweater stadiums the atmospheres I pretty much every single ground or stadium has died on its arse.

Previous loud grounds like West Ham, Arsenal, Birmingham etc have all become libraries.

Therefore I don't think it is fair to blame our support, it is the way football has gone.
errrrrrrrr ,DON'T YOU MEAN THE WAY OUR SUPPORT HAS GONE , AVERAGE AGE OF OUR SUPPORT IS ? younger fans priced out ,YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT DON'T HELP EITHER , remember UB40 holders used to get a discount ???
regards
DR

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
errrrrrrrr ,DON'T YOU MEAN THE WAY OUR SUPPORT HAS GONE , AVERAGE AGE OF OUR SUPPORT IS ? younger fans priced out ,YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT DON'T HELP EITHER , remember UB40 holders used to get a discount ???
regards
DR

Yes but that's not just OUR support, it's exactly the same across the country.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whatever people think about the safety aspects of these things - and there's enough examples to illustrate just how bad they can be for some people when in close proximity - it is all but certain that if caught, and you will be, you could go to prison and face a very long, possibly life, ban from football and the Albion.

You really have to ask yourself - is it worth it?

Thankfully, it seems Albion fans have been sensible enough to say "no, no it's not."

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
my lad is 16 nearly 17,he has gone to a few lower league games with smoke bombs etc with his mates and loves the free feeling of standing etc,butknows it isnt going to happen at the amex.
He is a season tik holder and chose to go in the north stand for the afcb game and give it one more chance to see if the atmosphere would get better!!!(he nearly moved there this season,but imglad i talked himout of it),he met up with some mates,but after the game told me that its never going to happen,as their are 2 seperate groups playing aginst each other,with each group not backing the other group and stand in silence when each group start a song,plain juvenile,whats the **** is the matter with so called fans in their!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here