Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Smash 'n' Grab

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The biggest smash and grab that I can remember for us was away at WestHam Bobby Z was playing for them and they were battering us, I don’t think we were time wasting, just sh!t, but Guy Butters scored the only goal with a header from a free kick and our only shot at goal.
This game came straight to mind. WHU should have been about 3-0 up after ten minutes. Harewood missed a few

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Those 3 games in a row we won 1-0 in Hughton’s last season spring to mind. West Ham, Newcastle and Wolves.
Wolves at home for Murray’s 100th goal was the first that sprung to my mind after a bit of thought. Shots on target and possession stats comparable
to yesterday, but XG wasn’t actually that bad.
966BA6D7-131C-44B3-9C22-F9734484AAA5.png

Attachments

• 179C17BC-8902-40E4-B25D-6004E0A2A160.png
    179C17BC-8902-40E4-B25D-6004E0A2A160.png
    595.9 KB · Views: 20

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Certainly what I did to Bet365 when Fulham @ 5/1 was mentioned on here.

Oh and we did it to Forest way back when in the early days of the AMEX.
We had one shot, in injury time, and won 1-0.
A few mins before they scored, just knew it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230218_184639_BetVictor.jpg
    Screenshot_20230218_184639_BetVictor.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 41

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
OK, I’ll buy it as grab. It was a dismal performance and undeserved point.
I didn't go but heard it was abysmal. No feigning head injury to get the game stopped though from what I heard.

That seems to be a new thing, brought about by rules introduced to protect players. Disgraceful behaviour.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Is it just me, but shouldn't Sanchez be doing better for their goal?

Some strike, but with no threat coming through the middle, surely the angle is in his favour?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
To a degree. But we’ve become more educated / snobby since Potter took us over. Maybe since Poyet in fact. I remember that Spurs game away under Hughton when Erikson scored late for them. I remember being embarrassed by our play and negative tactics - and would have still said that if we’d got a point. So personally, the manner of wins does count for a bit!
Took my dad (in his 80s) to that Spurs game and as we walked to the tube afterwards he just kept shaking his head and saying ‘I don’t think we left our own half’

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is it just me, but shouldn't Sanchez be doing better for their goal?

Some strike, but with no threat coming through the middle, surely the angle is in his favour?
Nah, Dunk was doing his best to try and make the block and Snachez was in the best position to minimise the angle. The finish was perfect - struck power and inch-perfect accuracy into the far corner.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Solomon was probably the worst player from our perspective for that chance to fall to . He is a very good finisher .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We did the same to them at theirs in our promotion season.

They absolutely battered us - Stockdale saved a penalty before they eventually went 1-0 up and continued to batter us. We equalised(our own penalty, I think) before winning the ball almost immediately from their kick off, driving forward, Knockaert had a shot saved, the rebound fell to Dunk who scored and somehow in the space of 90 seconds we'd gone from being battered and 1 down to leading 2-1. Fulham then proceeded to batter us for the rest of the game but we managed to hold on for the win.

That was the game that convinced me we were going up.

I guess the difference was, getting battered and time wasting wasn't our pre match plan, they just happened to batter us.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I was at the Newcastle 1-0 away win and that was the very definition of smash and grab. We were awful and they missed a hatful of chances. The two one nil wills either side of that versus West Ham and Wolves would also qualify.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here