Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Smash 'n' Grab

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The biggest smash and grab that I can remember for us was away at WestHam Bobby Z was playing for them and they were battering us, I don’t think we were time wasting, just sh!t, but Guy Butters scored the only goal with a header from a free kick and our only shot at goal.
Also a long time ago, but we played away to Leicester and they had 16 shots to our 1, and we won 1-0 (Virgo).

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We did the same to them at theirs in our promotion season.

They absolutely battered us - Stockdale saved a penalty before they eventually went 1-0 up and continued to batter us. We equalised(our own penalty, I think) before winning the ball almost immediately from their kick off, driving forward, Knockaert had a shot saved, the rebound fell to Dunk who scored and somehow in the space of 90 seconds we'd gone from being battered and 1 down to leading 2-1. Fulham then proceeded to batter us for the rest of the game but we managed to hold on for the win.

That was the game that convinced me we were going up.

I guess the difference was, getting battered and time wasting wasn't our pre match plan, they just happened to batter us.
That was the game I remember, thinking "what the f*** is Dunky doing in their area heading in the rebound?". 🤣🤣😍😍😍😍😍🤣.
He started the attack and sprinted the length of the field to finish it off.

theboybilly

To a degree. But we’ve become more educated / snobby since Potter took us over. Maybe since Poyet in fact. I remember that Spurs game away under Hughton when Erikson scored late for them. I remember being embarrassed by our play and negative tactics - and would have still said that if we’d got a point. So personally, the manner of wins does count for a bit!
And the manner in which we achieved the 0-0 at Wolves as that season drew to a climax. 'Do you watch this every week?' from the Wolves fans

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
And the manner in which we achieved the 0-0 at Wolves as that season drew to a climax. 'Do you watch this every week?' from the Wolves fans
At the time we were on a terrible run and had just been beaten 0-2 in a 6 pointer at home to Cardiff. It was a desperate point and tipped the balance of survival back in our favour as Cardiff had lost and then had to get 4 more than us in only 3 games. Wolves fans could’ve sung what they wanted and I’d have not cared!

Might feel differently if we played like that every week.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I remember that Spurs game away under Hughton when Erikson scored late for them. I remember being embarrassed by our play and negative tactics - and would have still said that if we’d got a point. So personally, the manner of wins does count for a bit!

So glad you remember Hughton so fondly.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Another Newcastle game - the '83 cup match. I think we had a corner in the first minute, and a corner in the 90th. And a goal somewhere along the way. Everything else was Newcastle - woodwork, two goal-line clearances, two goals disallowed.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Another I remember was home to Derby County in March during the disaster that was our 14-15 season when we got a very undeserved 2-0 win thanks to two second-half goals. Quite funny that Derby would’ve gone top with what everyone expected would be an easy away win and with only 11-12 games left of the season. However we seemed to trigger a terrible run and they ended up 8th!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Replying to @dazzer6666 around Sanchez’s positioning yesterday.

Marginal, but I think he could have been at least one pace to his left. If the striker had of hit the near post, he’d have saved with his body.

In theory slightly more central to goal and he could have used his legs to cover the near post area.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
My facebook memories tells me its 10 years ago today that we won 2-0 at Cardiff, I termed it a proper smash and grab. Goals by Orlandi (43rd min) and Ulloa (90th), most match reports talk about us coming under immense pressure from Cardiff and them failing to take their chances and us making them pay.

I know its not the latest but another example (that may have already been mentioned)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Replying to @dazzer6666 around Sanchez’s positioning yesterday.

Marginal, but I think he could have been at least one pace to his left. If the striker had of hit the near post, he’d have saved with his body.

In theory slightly more central to goal and he could have used his legs to cover the near post area.
As for Sanchez positioning, not that I'm an expert, but surprised yesterday he didn't come a yard or so out more to narrow angle. I thought he looked to near his goal line making target bigger.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
My stand out Albion smash and grab is Swindon away in the Div 2 play-offs. And if a defeat can count as a smash and grab then I'd add the Virgo goal in the last minute of extra time in the 2nd leg at Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here