Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smart TVs

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I know we have these threads every so often but things change.

I want to buy a 42" Smart TV - can the resident experts steer me in the right direction please?

Please try to remember I am an idiot.

Thanks.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I bought a Samsung 3D tv in December . It just happened it was a smart TV as well. Knew nothing about them .After a couple of plays , found it to be great.
Think of it as a giant android phone , without the phone .Loads of apps and internet stuff. Accessible movie streaming websites .
My three year old son has already worked out how to use the BBC iPlayer app and watches his favourite programmes without me having to find them for him.
Samsung also use Allshare , which means I can run the tv from my Samsung Galaxy phone and play content from the tv onto the phone. You dont need a Samsung to do that , just the aLLshare app on your phone.
I have no idea about the quality of other makes , but I love the smart content as well as it being a brilliant TV with an amazing picture.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I know we have these threads every so often but things change.

I want to buy a 42" Smart TV - can the resident experts steer me in the right direction please?

Please try to remember I am an idiot.

Thanks.

There will be a myriad of opinions!

Get yourself to an independent dealer, not a chain store and you will get the best advice.

Panasonic and Samsung are market leaders.

Hills of Hove are pretty decent and knowledgeable, as are Sunderland Electronics along Western Road.

Last edited:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I have a Sony which is very impressive a plus is linking it with the PC to show family photographs.
Hills of Hove are good for price and customer service however Sunderland Electronics closed down some time ago.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We got an LG and its great. If I'd known Samsungs allow internet video footage I might have gone for one of them.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I bought a Samsung 3D tv in December . It just happened it was a smart TV as well. Knew nothing about them .After a couple of plays , found it to be great.
Think of it as a giant android phone , without the phone .Loads of apps and internet stuff. Accessible movie streaming websites .
My three year old son has already worked out how to use the BBC iPlayer app and watches his favourite programmes without me having to find them for him.
Samsung also use Allshare , which means I can run the tv from my Samsung Galaxy phone and play content from the tv onto the phone. You dont need a Samsung to do that , just the aLLshare app on your phone.
I have no idea about the quality of other makes , but I love the smart content as well as it being a brilliant TV with an amazing picture.

Yep me too and think it's brill. Mine is a Samsung 51" 3D. Would thoroughly reccomend but would say that you ought to get the blue ray smart DVD player as well. Got mine in Tesco, good deal with the free BR DVD.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All the major manufacturers are now releasing Smart TVs within their new product range. With a decent broadband connection you can stream movies and other content with a picture quality that is virtually as good as BluRay.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Another vote for Samsung. Have the 8000 series 3D tv and is brilliant.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Mine's a Sony in the HX series. EX series although cheaper not so good for the 3D. Very pleased with the smart features and my grandson (3 years old) has no trouble using the smart features. Aside from the smart things the HD picture quality is superb as is the 3D picture although I still think 3D is a bit of a gimmick.

MurrayGulliver

Nov 14, 2011
Portslade
The Samsung 8000 series is very good. Great for the smart side of things. Of the Panasonic et5 series or better but I would personally go for the Samsung.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here