Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Smart Motorway

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
originally was supposed to be using the hard shoulder in peak times to ease congestion. the risk of collison, certainly a high speed one, was expected to be negligable as traffic would be slow. that worked very well, then got hijacked to make an extra lane for free. if there's no congestion, traffic at proprer moterway speed, they are dangerous.
on M23 i notice it doesnt work anyway, drivers seem to ignore the left lane, some going 60 in the second and everyone else bunches up at 70 in the third lane.
Yeah, the OP themselves said they never drive on the inside left lane, and despite my contempt for middle lane hoggers I can sympathise. The 'smart motorway' seemed fine in theory: whenever there was a breakdown the warning lights would come on, the 'X' would show saying the lane was closed, speed limits would drop, the emergency services would be informed, etc. All brilliant, and only undermined by one tiny but fatal flaw: this does NOT happen immediately. Consequently there is a crucial time gap between a vehicle breaking down and the smart motorway informing everybody of this. This time gap is long enough for someone to plough into the back of the stationary vehicle in a live lane. Or swerve to avoid it and hit something else.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
The original one was M42 - just turned on in rush hours when traffic was slow - worked great as less delays - drove down it twice a day for seven plus years

Coalition govt in "we must save money mode" decided to have them 24/7 at other locations when traffic was at all speeds

Thought at the time it was a load of marketing spin re the word "smart" - sadly quite a few lives lost later - Govt have finally decided no new ones

By far the worst is where they have this on motorways that are on stilts such as M1 near Sheffield - no embankment for drivers of broken down vehicles to walk onto - just stand there cross your fingers and wait to get hit

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The original one was M42 - just turned on in rush hours when traffic was slow - worked great as less delays - drove down it twice a day for seven plus years
Pretty much the same with the M4 between the M5 and the M32 - when in use limited to 40 or 50 mph. Too much traffic for inconsiderate stupid speeders to put lives at risk - no room!

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yeah, the OP themselves said they never drive on the inside left lane, and despite my contempt for middle lane hoggers I can sympathise. The 'smart motorway' seemed fine in theory: whenever there was a breakdown the warning lights would come on, the 'X' would show saying the lane was closed, speed limits would drop, the emergency services would be informed, etc. All brilliant, and only undermined by one tiny but fatal flaw: this does NOT happen immediately. Consequently there is a crucial time gap between a vehicle breaking down and the smart motorway informing everybody of this. This time gap is long enough for someone to plough into the back of the stationary vehicle in a live lane. Or swerve to avoid it and hit something else.
This is correct, remember there are 3 types of so called Smart motorways
1 ALR all lanes running. No hard shoulder, like the part of M23. in case of problem you use the emergency refuse area. This is still not used correctly, one lane should have the red X if a problem to allow emergency services to get to problem, new law comming in that more ERA are eequired due to distance between them.
2 CONTROLLED This involves three or more lanes with variable speed limits, but retains a hard shoulder (which should still only be used in a genuine emergency).
3 DYNAMIC HARD SHOULDER This is the balanced option between the two previous ones, where the hard shoulder is used as a fourth lane only in particularly busy traffic.

IMHO none of them are safe. Then again seeing some drivers on the motorway is frightening. Why cant drivers stay left and use the right hand lanes to overtake then pull back in. Sometimes i stay in a clear inside lane and pass cars in the who are stuck in the right hand lanes due to road hoggers.

With regards to the red X lane, it is Illegal to pass that sign. You are given enough notice before hand.

I Have been caught twice in the same day driving in a red X lane. M25 needed to take 30 min tacho break only had 20 min druving time left, inside lane closed, moved over to 2nd lane just as i Approached the slip road to Clacketts lane i moved over into services. Had break and left no red X on the entrance slip road from services to M25, however the inside lane was still under a red X, i was not aware of, so as soon as i left the slip road i realised and moved over to lane 2. Yes they still wanted to Prosecute me. I had to appeal both seperatly, won the 2nd one on a Technical basis due to X sign being out, (thank god for dashcam). Took longer on the first one but let off under H&S laws with a slapped wrist.

Be warned.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
By far the worst is where they have this on motorways that are on stilts such as M1 near Sheffield - no embankment for drivers of broken down vehicles to walk onto - just stand there cross your fingers and wait to get hit
This almost happened to me on a 2-lane stilted motorway with no hard shoulder in Southern Belguim / Northern Germany.
Petrol light on and no petrol station or motorway exit for around 40km - was absolutely terrifying !

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
This is correct, remember there are 3 types of so called Smart motorways
1 ALR all lanes running. No hard shoulder, like the part of M23. in case of problem you use the emergency refuse area. This is still not used correctly, one lane should have the red X if a problem to allow emergency services to get to problem, new law comming in that more ERA are eequired due to distance between them.
2 CONTROLLED This involves three or more lanes with variable speed limits, but retains a hard shoulder (which should still only be used in a genuine emergency).
3 DYNAMIC HARD SHOULDER This is the balanced option between the two previous ones, where the hard shoulder is used as a fourth lane only in particularly busy traffic.

IMHO none of them are safe. Then again seeing some drivers on the motorway is frightening. Why cant drivers stay left and use the right hand lanes to overtake then pull back in. Sometimes i stay in a clear inside lane and pass cars in the who are stuck in the right hand lanes due to road hoggers.

With regards to the red X lane, it is Illegal to pass that sign. You are given enough notice before hand.

I Have been caught twice in the same day driving in a red X lane. M25 needed to take 30 min tacho break only had 20 min druving time left, inside lane closed, moved over to 2nd lane just as i Approached the slip road to Clacketts lane i moved over into services. Had break and left no red X on the entrance slip road from services to M25, however the inside lane was still under a red X, i was not aware of, so as soon as i left the slip road i realised and moved over to lane 2. Yes they still wanted to Prosecute me. I had to appeal both seperatly, won the 2nd one on a Technical basis due to X sign being out, (thank god for dashcam). Took longer on the first one but let off under H&S laws with a slapped wrist.

Be warned.

1696307331089.png

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Got home about an hour ago, after almost being taken out on the M25 Kent/Surrey section by an HGV swerving to avoid a horsebox stranded in lane 1. There are few overhead gantries on it and there was no warning of a stranded vehicle on the ones that there are. The driver was stood at the back of the horsebox trying to keep his horse calm, but also in the worst possible place for his own safety. I understand the inevitable accident has occurred and emergency services are now on the scene. I am sitting here in some distress trying to work out what it is I could, or should have done to try and prevent the accident, which I am just hoping has not killed anyone. f*** the ****s that decided to roll out this f***ing deadly scheme.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Got home about an hour ago, after almost being taken out on the M25 Kent/Surrey section by an HGV swerving to avoid a horsebox stranded in lane 1. There are few overhead gantries on it and there was no warning of a stranded vehicle on the ones that there are. The driver was stood at the back of the horsebox trying to keep his horse calm, but also in the worst possible place for his own safety. I understand the inevitable accident has occurred and emergency services are now on the scene. I am sitting here in some distress trying to work out what it is I could, or should have done to try and prevent the accident, which I am just hoping has not killed anyone. f*** the ****s that decided to roll out this f***ing deadly scheme.
EDIT. Hope you’re okay Baldseagull, how frightening and upsetting for you.

and the following taken from Surrey press;

Drivers get out of cars and 'start to feel unwell'​

Drivers have begun to get out of their cars due to being in standstill traffic. A driver, named Chyna, told SurreyLive that they have been in the jam for nearly two hours. They added: "I've been here for two hours because of a horse. I am due to miss my Friday night dinner. We also have no food or drink and are starting to feel unwell."

The road has been blocked since 3:40 to attend to the vehicle in lane one just after Clacket Lane services.

fancy having to miss your dinner when someone as well as a horse may have been seriously injured 🙄

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Drivers have begun to get out of their cars due to being in standstill traffic. A driver, named Chyna, told SurreyLive that they have been in the jam for nearly two hours. They added: "I've been here for two hours because of a horse. I am due to miss my Friday night dinner. We also have no food or drink and are starting to feel unwell."

The road has been blocked since 3:40 to attend to the vehicle in lane one just after Clacket Lane services.

fancy having to miss your dinner when someone as well as a horse may have been seriously injured 🙄
It was a bit hairy for a moment for myself when the HGV pulled out, but I am glad he did. It's the feeling that there must be something I could do for the poor bugger stranded in Lane 1, but I couldn't and cant think what for sure. Should I have tried to call whilst driving, and who should I call if I did? I thought about pulling into the next refuge and using the SOS phone, but there were 2 vehicles already in it, hopefully doing what I was thinking of, but I don't know. It was on my mind all the way home, it's f***ing horrible seeing someone in danger, and who knows they are in danger, and not being able to do anything to help, just hope it's not as bad as it could be.

Edit: Just checking for news on this and it seems they may have closed the M25 before there was a collision, road closed to get the Horse safely into another horse box it seems. I hope that s true.

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Chyna? FFS

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I feel for you, that part of the M25 is horrendous.
When we travel to Hastings, we turn off the M25 onto the M26 to exit onto the A21. The amount of idiots that forget what lane they're in and shoot over is frightening.
Screenshot_20231103_181307_Maps.jpg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Smart motorways are death traps, pure and simple. I avoid them if at all possible, even if it means going a very long way round..

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It was a bit hairy for a moment for myself when the HGV pulled out, but I am glad he did. It's the feeling that there must be something I could do for the poor bugger stranded in Lane 1, but I couldn't and cant think what for sure. Should I have tried to call whilst driving, and who should I call if I did? I thought about pulling into the next refuge and using the SOS phone, but there were 2 vehicles already in it, hopefully doing what I was thinking of, but I don't know. It was on my mind all the way home, it's f***ing horrible seeing someone in danger, and who knows they are in danger, and not being able to do anything to help, just hope it's not as bad as it could be.

Edit: Just checking for news on this and it seems they may have closed the M25 before there was a collision, road closed to get the Horse safely into another horse box it seems. I hope that s true.
If you have a mobile then in that situation - stranded vehicle in a live lane - you're fully justified in calling 999. Life or death emergency.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I can’t believe no one has taken this to parliament and got these death traps stopped. Everyone knew they’d be a bad idea when they were first mooted - how the hell these got approved I have no idea. Whoever dreamed them up should hang their heads in shame.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Smart Motorways are the scariest of scary things, but some motorists really should have their licenses taken away (if they have one!) - Just X'd - Locked and no bloody lights! :oops:

1699040728580.png

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If you have a mobile then in that situation - stranded vehicle in a live lane - you're fully justified in calling 999. Life or death emergency.
I could see the driver on the phone to someone, I am sure others with hands free kit will have called 999 too, but it still felt like I should do something.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I can’t believe no one has taken this to parliament and got these death traps stopped. Everyone knew they’d be a bad idea when they were first mooted - how the hell these got approved I have no idea. Whoever dreamed them up should hang their heads in shame.
I think they have stopped them now haven't they? Trying to backtrack slowly... Pretty sure they announced recently no more being built and current ones being reviewed. Not that they really need to be reviewed. It was bloody obvious lives would be lost once the penny-pinching began.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I could see the driver on the phone to someone, I am sure others with hands free kit will have called 999 too, but it still felt like I should do something.
Nothing you could/can do except for being thankful you didn't get taken out by an HGV! If you don't have hands free 'set up', trying to actually 'type' 999 whilst driving, in stressful conditions is a recipe for disaster. People don't understand how dangerous just quickly picking up their phone when it rings to see who's calling is! If they're saying they're transferring the horse then there hasn't been a serious accident. If it was a serious accident they wouldn't be giving details.
As for 'Smart' motorways, it's high up on my most stupid ideas list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here