Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Small flame coming from my PC

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
The data can be recovered thats not a problem. As someone suggested you can get a hard drive caddy that will support IDE, & STA 2.5 & 3.5. They are around £10

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Yep I am pretty sure this I have just dug out will do the job to recover anything off hard drive. Just need to remember how to remove the darn thing

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have a 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure that comes with a USB connector cable. I think you place the hard drive in the unit then connect via USB to new computer. Any good?

I've got a hard drive enclosure for a 3.5" SATA drive depending on what the drive is inside your laptop if it doesn't fit the 2.5". It's unused, still boxed, was going to stick it on ebay, but would be happy to let it go for a fiver.

(It is most likely a 2.5" coming out of a laptop though....depends how old the machine is).

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I've got a hard drive enclosure for a 3.5" SATA drive depending on what the drive is inside your laptop if it doesn't fit the 2.5". It's unused, still boxed, was going to stick it on ebay, but would be happy to let it go for a fiver.

(It is most likely a 2.5" coming out of a laptop though....depends how old the machine is).

Cheers mate. The Laptop is only about 4 years old

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
Just an outside chance that it's dust that accumulated on the chip that ignited as the chip warmed up. If so, all will be fine. Pretty much any other reason I can think of means it's not good news....

It's very unlikely to be dust igniting as none of the components should get hot enough for this. More likely a capacitor as a previous poster mentioned.

Don't mess with it any more i.e. it isn't going to work again if you switch it on and you might just cause more damage.

Get a knowledgeable friend or professional who can remove the disk drive, make sure it is working and backup all your essential data BEFORE trying to repair it (if that is even feasible). It should be possible to remove the HDD and attach it to a desktop PC to read it if you know what you are doing.

It's a good reminder to any PC users - if something like this goes wrong on your PC, will you scream if you can't get the music/photo's documents back again? If so - make sure it is backed up. Buy an external HDD (£50 new) and back it up every month or so. Don't forget external HDD can fail too, so don't just store all your essential data on an external HDD without some way of backing THAT up.

PS Good luck!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
It's very unlikely to be dust igniting as none of the components should get hot enough for this. More likely a capacitor as a previous poster mentioned.

Don't mess with it any more i.e. it isn't going to work again if you switch it on and you might just cause more damage.

Get a knowledgeable friend or professional who can remove the disk drive, make sure it is working and backup all your essential data BEFORE trying to repair it (if that is even feasible). It should be possible to remove the HDD and attach it to a desktop PC to read it if you know what you are doing.

It's a good reminder to any PC users - if something like this goes wrong on your PC, will you scream if you can't get the music/photo's documents back again? If so - make sure it is backed up. Buy an external HDD (£50 new) and back it up every month or so. Don't forget external HDD can fail too, so don't just store all your essential data on an external HDD without some way of backing THAT up.

PS Good luck!

Yep. Def buying one now. Good advice Sir

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Had a similar problem.

Engineer said it was a case of crap in the fan.

Problem is, he didn't tell me how often I need to do this. :-(

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
How does one get data off an old hard drive?

I have one sitting in front of me and would love to rescue all my old uni photos.

Apologies for hijacking!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377007437485.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377007437485.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 34

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

PS Good luck!

That is the very minimum backing up I would say.

I currently back up my documents and files to a cloud every hour to Sugarsync (other providers are available), I also back up the entire contents of the hard drive every hour to a locally connected hard drive, then I clone the HD every week onto a second hard drive which I keep out of the house, generally in the car (password protected of course).

The clone means that if the worse should happen and I'm burgled or the house burns down, I can get a new machine and simply clone my entire system back to a new computer exactly as it was literally within a couple of hours.

The cloud storage means my files are available and synced so can be accessed from any computer. The hourly backups mean if I experience a crash, or accidently delete a file, I can recover it from a previous back up.

Belt and braces with your data I say!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

kano

Jun 17, 2011
That is the very minimum backing up I would say.

I currently back up my documents and files to a cloud every hour to Sugarsync (other providers are available), I also back up the entire contents of the hard drive every hour to a locally connected hard drive, then I clone the HD every week onto a second hard drive which I keep out of the house, generally in the car (password protected of course).

The clone means that if the worse should happen and I'm burgled or the house burns down, I can get a new machine and simply clone my entire system back to a new computer exactly as it was literally within a couple of hours.

The cloud storage means my files are available and synced so can be accessed from any computer. The hourly backups mean if I experience a crash, or accidently delete a file, I can recover it from a previous back up.

Belt and braces with your data I say!

You dd your hard drive once an hour? You need to set up a mirrored pair. Or chill out a bit :D

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You dd your hard drive once an hour? You need to set up a mirrored pair. Or chill out a bit :D

Sorry, I should say it's all done automatically. Sugarsync runs in the background as does Time Machine (other back up applications are available).

Apart from the once a week clone, I don't do anything! :thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here