Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sloop John B

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've heard several references to this in the past, and it come up on the latest guardian football podcast, and I realised I didn't really know the song. The comments about it make it sound as if it is the most used tune for football songs. Like, it is so overdone it's on most fans' lists as one of the bad things in modern football.

I looked through my itunes library and realised I had it, so had a listen.

I don't recognise any football chant that is sung to this tune.

YouTube

Can anyone point out to me which footie songs are?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
You burnt down your town
You burnt down your town
You stupid bastards
You burnt down your town

To palace fans last year after the London riots

To be honest the tunes become annoying really coz every club sings it and you can virtually place any words to tune

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Glad you asked this as i had always wondered the same.
I thought Sloop John B was the name of some gangster rapper :blush:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You don't know the song? It's supposed to be officially the best album ever and is certainly one other the best.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, fc united fans sang this during the cup game at withers.

Still think in all the years of watching albion, fc united fans were the best for creating an atmosphere and constant singing....that probably goes down as one of the best days I have had at footy.

We don't come anywhere near that

Yes, fc united fans sang this during the cup game at withers.

Still think in all the years of watching albion, fc united fans were the best for creating an atmosphere and constant singing....that probably goes down as one of the best days I have had at footy.

We don't come anywhere near that

this is the money shot, FC United used to sing this in their early years, using the original lyrics (almost), Under the Boardwalk was another. Unlike someone we know they never claimed to have invented it, but they were certainly one of the first in the UK to use it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I've heard several references to this in the past, and it come up on the latest guardian football podcast, and I realised I didn't really know the song. The comments about it make it sound as if it is the most used tune for football songs. Like, it is so overdone it's on most fans' lists as one of the bad things in modern football.

I looked through my itunes library and realised I had it, so had a listen.

I don't recognise any football chant that is sung to this tune.

YouTube

Can anyone point out to me which footie songs are?

:facepalm:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can hear the tune in the police video and the fc united one, but the written chants are ones I hear in a different tune (a jaunty ska-like one).

Perhaps it's just that our fans are so out of sync with each other so often that it masks the tune, or perhaps in their race to finish songs quicker than everyone else it loses the beat, or maybe just our fans don't sing it that often.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It was the ' tour song ' for the 1971 British Lions trip to New Zealand. The choirmaster was John Taylor ( now a commentator ) with plenty of Welsh voices adding harmony.
p.s The best Lions side ever to leave these shores and the best performance in a 4 test series ( won 2-1 with one draw )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here