Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slipper Limpets for Bait-Do they work?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Saw this mentioned on the Dog Sh*t thread earlier by [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION].

Always been a beach fisherman myself but have always dug my own bait where possible, mainly lug and harbour rag. Have toyed with other kinds of bait, limpets, mussels, tipping with squid etc but I've never had any luck off the beach with anything other than worm.
Having said that I've discovered bait elastic recently and am really impressed. So my thoughts have returned to gathering soft baits again now I have a way of securing them for a decent whack out. I'd be interested to know experiences of other beach fishermen on NSC. These kinds of bait have been getting more coverage in the press recently and may be a useful alternative to have ready to go from the freezer.

spig100963

Mar 18, 2011
Not tried yet but have read it is good to freeze mussel or limpet on to the hook. Then keep them in an old thermos until you use them. This keeps them on hook while casting. They will soon defrost in the sea.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
This is possibly the best month to use Slipper after a storm works best , spawned out flounder love them and will touch little else if theres a good supply of slipper to be had , these northerlies wont help but if there is a blow head down to the woodyard normans bay pevensey get as close as you can to the pipe and you should bag up on slipper , not had any success on them in clear water .

p.s dont overcast , most of the flounder will be within 50 yards of the shore

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Slipper limpet is also very good for whiting, usually as a 'tip' with mackerel.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I used to fish behind the private houses by Hove Lagoon (Fat Boy Slim's and other celebs pads area). Slipper limpets used to be in abundance on the high tide line, which meant no back-breaking bait digging and a couple of hours saved.
As previously mentioned, Flounders went nuts for them. Thoroughly recommended.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Few years back they use to work really well for flounders, rockling , schoolies etc but now you chuck any bait in the sea and you will probably get a whiting or rockling on it within seconds.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
seem to do the trick for me when used. i recomend using two hooks (minimum) though as they dont exactly ooze juices :thumbsup:

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
They are very good as a bait. I'm not sure on their durability through freezing, but after a storm when fresh, they are great to tip the end of the hook.
My personal most memorable catch was on a white rag & slipper limpet cocktail. A dover sole at 1lb 11oz on a rainy Feb morning off S/wick arm (what was that doing there!).

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I've only ever had half-hearted attempts to use them when not much is happening and I see them piggy-backed on each other next to me on the beach. I have a rough plan to collect all kinds of stuff, shuck them and load them up on bait needles like giant kebabs and freeze them.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They are very good as a bait. I'm not sure on their durability through freezing, but after a storm when fresh, they are great to tip the end of the hook.
My personal most memorable catch was on a white rag & slipper limpet cocktail. A dover sole at 1lb 11oz on a rainy Feb morning off S/wick arm (what was that doing there!).

White rag.....ahhhhh.

I remember when it was possible just to go digging for white rag only, wouldn't dream of it now, would take 5 tides to get enough for one session!

Remember going to West Bay in Dorset armed with a bucket of live white rag. The locals thought that we were magicians due to the way we out fished them!

Goat lung

Jan 27, 2013
There is a real skill in knowing when to use slippers part of that is timing ,you will find slips after a blow washed up above the high tide mark on top of and amongst the shingle , now the clever bit , if after the blow the tides are getting smaller forget using them until the tides are big enough to wash the now dead and stinky limpets back into the sea , now is the time to short cast your own bunch of stinky dead limpets , I used to find a cast just in the gutter at the bottom of the shingle scored well for decent flounder and some fair winter bass from pagham

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
There is a real skill in knowing when to use slippers part of that is timing ,you will find slips after a blow washed up above the high tide mark on top of and amongst the shingle , now the clever bit , if after the blow the tides are getting smaller forget using them until the tides are big enough to wash the now dead and stinky limpets back into the sea , now is the time to short cast your own bunch of stinky dead limpets , I used to find a cast just in the gutter at the bottom of the shingle scored well for decent flounder and some fair winter bass from pagham

I like the sound of this theory. Harvest after a blow then fish them from the beginning of the next calender month until the biggest of the spring tides mid-month. I can return mainly to lug for the second half of the month. Although you tend to go fishing whenever time allows of course and I tend to try for the spring tides mid-month for better results I must admit I've never varied my bait according to the monthly cycle.

You can learn something everyday on NSC

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Starting to use more and more seafood baits for freshwater fishing these days. Never go fishing without a jar of cockles or bag of prawns, Often take mussels too.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Starting to use more and more seafood baits for freshwater fishing these days. Never go fishing without a jar of cockles or bag of prawns, Often take mussels too.

Yup, hair rigged cockles are just the ticket in my local lake, carp, bream and tench, but interestingly not the specimen sizes, just the mid range weights.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Yup, hair rigged cockles are just the ticket in my local lake, carp, bream and tench, but interestingly not the specimen sizes, just the mid range weights.

Had a couple of 20's on cockles....and had a lovely 1lb 6oz roach on them on the hair too !!! Prawns for Perch...3 1/2lb perch last year on them !!!!!

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
They are O.K., as mentioned before,good for flatties after a blow and used in conjunction with lug.I have caught a few Codling on them down Hayling Island,catch mostly flatfish and the odd Schoolie.Worth a try.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here