Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sleeping Giants

Eastbourne

Jun 4, 2011
Brighton are more David, rather than Goliath. The Championship is as good as it gets. If promotion is ever achieved to the promised land, there will be more synergies with Blackpool - no harm in dreaming though.

Exactly. Some people on here are mental. I don't know why people are expecting us to take the League by storm next year and show all of this "incredible potential". Our fanbase is average and probably smaller than most Championship clubs. We're all optimistic because we've got Gus and a new stadium, but our best two players are gone/leaving and we're probably aiming for midtable next season.

Please people, get realistic, or you're in for a serious shock next season. There are at least 12 clubs realistically thinking about automatic promotion, like Birmingham, Blackpool, Reading, Ipswich, Hull, Forest, Leeds, Cardiff, Boro etc. To finish in the top half would be an incredible achievement, because AT THE MOMENT all of these clubs are a lot bigger and/or more successful recently than we are.

Yes, I'm delighted that we've got the opportunity to establish ourselves in the second tier, but all sensible fans can see that this is probably as good as it gets. I love the thought of Brighton in the Premiership, but it's just not going to happen. Wake up.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Whatever your age if you consider Newcastle a bigger club than Chelsea or Spurs you need to learn your football history!!

Until around 15 years ago Chelsea had 1 championsip, 1 fa cup & 1 cup winners cup *, they also were no better than an average 1st/ 2nd tier club for much of their history. A mega rich Russian buying trophy's & a new found generation of glory hunting "fans" doesn't make a football giant. Spurs and Newcastle are a lot closer together trophy wise - Spurs 17 major trophy's to Newcastles 11. However its not just about winning trophy's is it? Its the whole package -trophy's, stadium, fans, past players ect it all brings the right aura to a club .Spurs may be quite easily be considered a giant but Chelsea? They may have the glamour but not the deep rooted pedigree to be a football giant.
Now , what other football history would you like to know?

*The league cup ,in 1965 , wasn't considered a major trophy

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Chelsea is a hard one to call-gate wise only.

In 1989 they had something like 16,000?? yet there record is 82,000??

1 night only

Apr 29, 2009
Until around 15 years ago Chelsea had 1 championsip, 1 fa cup & 1 cup winners cup *, they also were no better than an average 1st/ 2nd tier club for much of their history. A mega rich Russian buying trophy's & a new found generation of glory hunting "fans" doesn't make a football giant. Spurs and Newcastle are a lot closer together trophy wise - Spurs 17 major trophy's to Newcastles 11. However its not just about winning trophy's is it? Its the whole package -trophy's, stadium, fans, past players ect it all brings the right aura to a club .Spurs may be quite easily be considered a giant but Chelsea? They may have the glamour but not the deep rooted pedigree to be a football giant.
Now , what other football history would you like to know?

*The league cup ,in 1965 , wasn't considered a major trophy

Look you cant have it both ways, otherwise I could say when did Newcastle last win a trophy? Without even looking it up I am going for 1969 , my point is Newcastle are nowhere near Spurs and you discount Chelsea's history because it is more recent.

As it happens I agree with you Spurs on every level are already a giant of English football, whereas Newcastle and Chelsea are very big clubs. However to me Chelsea are a lot nearer and aspiring to giant than Newcastle. They are making history getting new fans in and building the status. I might not like how they are doing it but every dog has its day.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Think what people are really trying to state is that to the outside world we seem like "Withdean-Brighton" where as we are now what we should have always been & all thanks to "Falmer-Brighton".

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Look you cant have it both ways, otherwise I could say when did Newcastle last win a trophy? Without even looking it up I am going for 1969 , my point is Newcastle are nowhere near Spurs and you discount Chelsea's history because it is more recent.

As it happens I agree with you Spurs on every level are already a giant of English football, whereas Newcastle and Chelsea are very big clubs. However to me Chelsea are a lot nearer and aspiring to giant than Newcastle. They are making history getting new fans in and building the status. I might not like how they are doing it but every dog has its day.

I don't discount Chelsea as an aspiring giant but like I've said it's the whole aura of a club that makes it a giant & for me Chelsea haven't got that aura. It takes time to build your history & despite Chelsea's recent record in 30 ,40 maybe 50 years time people will look at that record & see it as a triumph of money over substance, part of being a football giant involves having a certain amount of class about the club & I think thats something Chelsea lost the moment Abramovich & co walked through the door. Man City fall into the same catagory - you cant buy class, you cant buy admiration & you cant buy respect . You'll never be a giant without those 3 things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here