Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slaugham - how is it pronounced?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Back of Portsmouth there is Southwick, down here it's pronounced Suffick. Whereas our ( us Brighton boys) Southwick is just that South wick.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What about Bosham?

I used to live near Cosham in Portsmouth and that was pronounced COSH-UM by most but those that lived there called it COZZUM.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Suth-ick they pronounce it don' they? that confused me too.

Or Boarhunt along the road. Borunt, and Bozm for Bosham.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've heard it called Sluffum, by someone who lived there.

I'm with this, we have a training centre there & it's always been Sluffum to me.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
What about Sidlesham? I've heard it said as Siddelsham.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
On the same road - what about Warninglid? I always though the 'lid' was pronounced like 'saucepan lid', but some more snobby types say it's pronounced more as 'warning - glide', despite the absence of the magic 'e' at the end.

These days it's 'Warning Light'.. it's the ground lookout spot where the smugglers in olden days used to signal down to their mates on the coast that the law was on it's way...(nb Half Moon = Top Drawer Nosh)

Nope West Hoathlee. But lets wait for [MENTION=3791]WestHoatlySeagull[/MENTION] to confirm
Is he a JCL in West Hoathly? Or a tenth generation native? Last time I was in The Cat (some years ago, admittedly), the locals were divided on the issue.

On a related topic ... I think everyone agrees that Ardingly and Hellingly are pronounced Ardinglye and Hellinglye. Don't they?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Is he a JCL in West Hoathly? Or a tenth generation native? Last time I was in The Cat (some years ago, admittedly), the locals were divided on the issue.

On a related topic ... I think everyone agrees that Ardingly and Hellingly are pronounced Ardinglye and Hellinglye. Don't they?

I live in Ading - lye and since West Hoathly is only down the road I think it must be pronounced the same way. That's what they told me in the Cat too. (Mind you half of them in there are bond dealers from Fulham).

The battle to pronounce the villages down our way seems to have been lost. Firle, Selmeston, Berwick ... Furrel, Simson, Bur-wick. Awlciston and Awlfriston are disappearing as well.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
With all due respect and all that...but does it make any differance how the name of a place is pronounced or indeed how it sounds if either...... you live/d there, your friend lives there, family are buried there, you work / trained there or you had a cat or dog who once had an oversized shit there???

I just find it quite comical that some feel the need to underline their answer as being correct because of one of the reasons above :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here