Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slade 'Gutted'

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
He's Gutted!!!

I have had to watch this sh1te for 4 seasons waiting for it to get better....... We have had occasional glimses (Man city etc) but we have been fed gruel for ages now.

The defence let in such easy goals I feel depression creeping up on me.

If you ask me he's the lucky one

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Hopefully those words from Slade will give the people filled with glee over his sacking something to think about. Unfortunately I doubt it will make any difference, but if people can't see the point about building a team taking time (and the thing about signing young players is a good point) then there's really not much hope.

Can't believe we've lost a great manager so soon into what I still believe could have been a very successful time at Brighton.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The moral is that no manager nowadays should be aiming to build for the long term - because there's no way they'll be given that time. They should be looking for the quick and dirty fix - like signing Lloyd Owusu at the fag end of last season. Should have been signed YEARS ago IMHO. Shame, but that's how life is. Too much money at stake to do anything else.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
The moral is that no manager nowadays should be aiming to build for the long term - because there's no way they'll be given that time. They should be looking for the quick and dirty fix - like signing Lloyd Owusu at the fag end of last season. Should have been signed YEARS ago IMHO. Shame, but that's how life is. Too much money at stake to do anything else.

Not sure that that washes with me. Surely chopping and changing managers is a more risky way of protecting any money at stake that there is. True, if Slade was taking us to relegation then a change would have to be made, but 15 games into a season, when we're outside the relegation zone and with many new, some very talented, players in the team I don't think that was the case.

I can't say for sure but I bet clubs who stick by their managers for longer have more success so if anything that is the safe bet unless a real crisis is unfolding. Although every new manager brings a new dawn with almost always false optimism, the amount of sackings would suggest this isn't as good approach as it might seem.

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
He should've been given more time, i mean 5 months into a 2 year contract is an absolute joke! Certain players have let him down big time! Good luck Russell Slade in your next job.....Top bloke!

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
For bringing a talent like Bennett to the club Slade deserves a big thanks, he'll be worth a lot of money to us some day, is so entertaining to watch and only 20 too!, if the new man is Coppell he'll cherish a winger with his talent.
Thanks Russell you were let down by the players (who will no doubt bust their balls for the new man - initially anyway) and poor coaches, best of luck for the future (get your own coaches to work with!)

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Unfortunately the professional game is a results led business, it's a dog eat dog structure, and sentimentality can't rule the decision making process. Always has been, and always will be as long as it revolves around a league structure.

It's Hinshlewoods job to worry about the long term team development, not Slades. I think a manager has to be a little bit more concerned about imminent on the field problems, and less about his players long term development.

Our biggest problem is a defence that shoots itself in the foot on too many occasions, and we really need to bring in some experienced pro's to steady the ship in this area. Slades reliance on younger professionals was a risky strategy, and one that really needs to be backed up by some older wiser heads in defence.

I think Bloom wants to set his stall out as a Chairman with ambition, and the reality is that he doesn't want to be opening Falmer with a team in the bottom tier. Up to now I've seen no likelihood that that wasn't going to happen.

The fact that the bulk of Slades recent experience was with Scarborough, Grimsby and Yeovil probably means he simply doesn't have the contacts in the top two divsions to bring in that steadying hand.

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
The interview confirmed yet again what a thoroughly decent, articulate and intelligent man Russell Slade is. Just a few months after being carried aloft by an adoring public for turning round a diabolical team he is told to leave

Disgraceful - I am gutted - I wish him well in the future. I hope his young family also find stability - they have just uprooted from Somerset.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here