Slade admits Crowe Interest

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Rumours confirmed in The Argus today. I get the feeling Whingy is off...

Good news that we've already spoken to 6 or 7 players though!

Crowe targeted as Albion wait on Whing

6:50am Tuesday 2nd June 2009

comment Comments (1) Have your say »
By brian owen »

Albion have held talks with Northampton’s Jason Crowe as they wait for Andrew Whing to sign a new deal.

The versatile 30-year-old defender visited Brighton to chat to boss Russell Slade about a possible reunion.

A move for Crowe, who played 37 League Two games under Slade’s management at Grimsby in 2004/05, could hinge on whether right-back Whing stays at Withdean.

The reigning player-of-the-season was recently offered a two-year deal by the Seagulls but is still considering his options.

Crowe was arguably one of few prized assets in the Northampton squad relegated from League One last term.

He is perhaps best known as a right-back but can also play on the left of defence, as wing back, in midfield or in central defence, where he featured in several games last term.

Slade said: “We are making contingency plans if Andrew Whing decides to go elsewhere.

“You also have to remember Jason is very versatile. I know all about him. We are looking at targets and Jason is on that list.

“I’m talking to players. I’ve had a chat with probably six or seven players in different positions.”

Northampton have offered out-of-contract Crowe a new deal but he is expected to move on.

He said: “I’m a free agent and I’ve been to Brighton to see Russell. That’s all I’m saying at this stage.”

Millwall and Norwich are also thought to be interested in Crowe’s services.

Albion are reported to be the only club to have put forward a firm offer though neither Slade nor the player would comment on whether terms had been discussed.

Crowe, a former Arsenal trainee, had four years at Portsmouth, scoring a spectacular long-range goal when they beat the Seagulls 4-2 at Fratton Park in 2002.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Assuming Livermore, Dixon and possibly Hawkins and El Abd are made available for offers the "6 or 7" is the minimum you would expect us to be looking at but certainly encouraging at this stage of the summer and very different from past years to see us this active.

Exciting times indeed!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Why can't we have Whing and Crowe?

I can see that Crowe would be a good replacement for Whing, but nevertheless, it would be good to have more competition within the squad.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Why can't we have Whing and Crowe?

I can see that Crowe would be a good replacement for Whing, but nevertheless, it would be good to have more competition within the squad.

cover for McNulty and for Whing plus able to play midfield and chip in with a few goals......makes him a great signing for me :thumbsup:

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
I am a little confused behind the Crowe interest: is it cover if Whing departs or do you think we are looking at signing him irrespective of Whing? I hope we are looking to sign him whatever happens. What do the good folk of NSC think? It may be the ambiguity of the arsegas piece?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
I am a little confused behind the Crowe interest: is it cover if Whing departs or do you think we are looking at signing him irrespective of Whing? I hope we are looking to sign him whatever happens. What do the good folk of NSC think? It may be the ambiguity of the arsegas piece?

I'm not 100% sure but it seems from Slade's quote that we are looking at him as a contingency in case Whing goes elsewhere.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I totally didn't post something that three other people did and then edited it out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We need cover for McNulty who is not going to start training until August so Jason Crowe would fit the bill quite well in a number of positions. If he signs it would look ominous for El Abd.

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated
:ascarf: Love to see him in brighton shirt so i can bully Alex_Brighton who likes singing crows :clap2:

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
The 6 or 7 players referred to in the article are probably talking to other clubs as well, so let's not get carried away.........remember David Currie last season ...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports