Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Skydiver to jump without parachute from 25,000 feet on live TV.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I honestly don't mean it disrespectfully but, not that clever. Graham Dickinson ( who is the chap in the film ) and a friend died doing a similar stunt 100 mph straight into a cliff-face. Such tragic waste of life.

When you consider all the prep, research and training they do it is clever to work out what can be done. It might not seem clever doing it but that wasn't my point.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its quite sad that some people can only exist by pushing normal boundaries to excess. He will end up as a red smudge somewhere soon, but, people will say " He died doing what he loved " so, that's all right then.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As usual not quite what was billed - just watching this and they've announced he will have to wear an emergency parachute on his back which he says will affect the way he lands

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Now announced that he can jump without the chute

He did the jump and landed safely - it was pretty spectacular

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Having lost my best friend via his own mistake on his first solo jump I just wish the utterly selfish idiots of this world would realise the pain they can cause to others. I have no issue with people who choose to do somewhat risky pursuits with guidance and training, but the 'look at how tough/hard/adventurous I am' brigade pushing the limits of extreme sports are taking immeasurable gambles with their life. Many will say fine that is their choice, but it is those left behind who will be left with the pain and anguish.

An horrific thing to happen to a best mate and my condolences. BUT, and without wishing to trivalise your mates death, the way the human species has evolved what it can do is by carrying out, what at the time appear, stupid and risky challenges. No doubt people told the Wright brothers they were stupid taking the risks they did or indeed many of the first people into space. We as a race could stand still but thankfully we have people who are willing to take risks. Sometimes the activity will seem pointless but it's only in the future that it could lead to a discovery that changes the history of mankind.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quite incredible......wonder what safety measures there were (if any) ? Were the skydivers that were there with him able to do anything (before they pulled their chutes obviously) if he was obviously going way off target ?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Quite incredible......wonder what safety measures there were (if any) ? Were the skydivers that were there with him able to do anything (before they pulled their chutes obviously) if he was obviously going way off target ?

If he was going off target, or got into difficulties, or went into a flat spin (unlikely if he's an experienced jumper), or even bottled it at the last second...

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If he was going off target, or got into difficulties, or went into a flat spin (unlikely if he's an experienced jumper), or even bottled it at the last second...

Unlikely has he has done in excess of 18000 jumps previously, albeit with a parachute, but i get your point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here