Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky sports

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ditch it all. I'm paying £20 a month for line rental weekend calls and superfast broadband.

Switch your sky box for a freesat box.
I will be binning Sky next month, and buying a FreeSat HD box
Any recommendations on the freesat boxes? What's the problem with keeping the sky box for freeview, is it that it won't record or something?

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Any recommendations on the freesat boxes? What's the problem with keeping the sky box for freeview, is it that it won't record or something?

On the previous page I said about humax boxes. They are the best and you can get good deals on them, via the richersounds clearance site or the humax online shop

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah you can't video, although happy to be proved wrong.

The Humax boxes are most recommended, somewhere between £150 & £200.
Probably less if you only want the features you're actually going to use :lol:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

I think you can do it but I'm no expert on it. Google may be your friend.

Any of the ones that have freetime are pretty good. I got one for the bedroom that didn't have a hard disc but was able to connect a spare external drive I had.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You pay a bit extra if you want to record
You mean that if you keep the sky box and want to record you have to pay? Not sure what you mean by 'extra', since it's freeview, so we wouldn't be paying anything?

On the previous page I said about humax boxes. They are the best and you can get good deals on them, via the richersounds clearance site or the humax online shop
When I was looking to cancel sky before, I was looking at the Humax HDR Fox T2, and the Foxsat-HDR, but I seem to remember things were changing. Ideally I'd like to be able to save recordings onto a separate hard drive so I can keep them for the kids etc, is that still an option?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sorry I don't understand the OP. So Virgin have upped the price 2.50 a month so you are looking at Virgin as what? As a crap company, as an alternative? If so an alternative to what as you say you are already with them?

I am no sky fan but I am with them and I've had no price hike, in fact I told them I want to drop sky sports next season as they have no Champions League and they gave me a 50% discount. So although I understand the 5 pages of sky bashing and how they are ruining football ( I agree btw) but I don't get why sky gets a bashing after the OP when Virgin charge him £130 a month??
Am I missing something?

I am not sure what you point is. I am suggesting that very regularly we get letters from Virgin saying our subscription has gone up due to sky sports....this time an extra £2.50 and that means now we have a monthly bill of £130. I was suggestion that we are going to look at binning Virgin as, and I know it is a minor point but a good example, we have two kindles. They connect to wifi using the super hub2 but then drop out regularly. To get them to reconnect, we have to reboot the router! A known issue according to Virgin. We have had no end of problems with Virgin since the new router went in...dropping signal, slow signal, can't connect etc.

So my original post was to gauge opinion as to what people have and what they pay. I am loathe to get rid of sky sports as I want the cricket...but I could live without the footy. We have two boxes...one in the dining room and one in the front room with the TiVo thing. We have broadband XL and phone as well as telly.

I wondered who had bt and what the equivalent to Virgin would be.

Btw. We did contact Virgin and told them we were looking at other suppliers and what can they do, and the attitude seemed to be...tough..get lost

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
You mean that if you keep the sky box and want to record you have to pay? Not sure what you mean by 'extra', since it's freeview, so we wouldn't be paying anything?

When I was looking to cancel sky before, I was looking at the Humax HDR Fox T2, and the Foxsat-HDR, but I seem to remember things were changing. Ideally I'd like to be able to save recordings onto a separate hard drive so I can keep them for the kids etc, is that still an option?

I have the humax hdr fox t2 and I was able to connect a external hardrive to it and worked fine. I got mine from ebay for 40 pound.
The link above has some different options too

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have the humax hdr fox t2 and I was able to connect a external hardrive to it and worked fine. I got mine from ebay for 40 pound.
Yeah that's one of the ones I was looking at, but it got superseded, so I don't know if there's an option like that any more. I couldn't see any Humax on the link?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This.

I will be binning Sky next month, and buying a FreeSat HD box, and a reconditioned X-Box, for the total of 4 months subscription.
That gives me:-

Recordable HD Freeview TV.
Netflix and Now TV on my PS3.
Eurosport (cycling) on the Xbox.

An outlay of less than £10 and access to all Albion TV games im not at.

The thought of spending £1500 a year on TV is horrifying.

Dumb question alert - why do you need an X-Box to watch Eurosport ?

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
Yeah that's one of the ones I was looking at, but it got superseded, so I don't know if there's an option like that any more. I couldn't see any Humax on the link?

I think a lot of them come with the hard drive built in now. This link has one with all humax boxes from richer sounds.
http://m.richersounds.com/#!/search/humax/1/

If none of them are good I have a spare one at home. I will check if it works and you can have it for 10pound ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I haven't had any form of paid TV for about 15 years now, I think - I just couldn't justify the cost.

We only have one TV in the house and it's Freeview only and, here in Findon, it is only a few Freeview channels at that - we don't even get stuff like Dave. Maybe I'm doing something wrong there - I've not checked.

We do have Netflix for £6 a month or so and Amazon Instant Video, the latter only being because it is bundled with Amazon Prime. The kids use these services, we rarely do.

We use BT for home phone and broadband so that means we have BT Sport but I've probably only used it once or twice in the year or two it's been going.

The TV is 'smart' so has built-in iPlayer (and Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube etc) but we also have a Mac Mini connected to the TV which has a 4tb drive plugged in the back full of films and some TV shows. I also use Get iPlayer Automator to download BBC/ITV stuff to watch at some point in the future, and to capture stuff for the kids.

If there is a sporting event I really must watch, the Mac Mini will be used to stream it to the TV. That's very few and far between though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dumb question alert - why do you need an X-Box to watch Eurosport ?
A la Netflix on the PS it's the easiest platform I can get the cycling through to my TV.

I'm sure someone (my 10 year old son for example) can wi-fi it across from my PC.
But I'm a luddite so am happy with a £60 xbox from game and £3.99 a month subscription from Eurosport.

All the time I'm stacking it against £45 a month basic package from Sky, separate, multi purpose, hardware sells itself.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I haven't had any form of paid TV for about 15 years now, I think - I just couldn't justify the cost.

We only have one TV in the house and it's Freeview only and, here in Findon, it is only a few Freeview channels at that - we don't even get stuff like Dave. Maybe I'm doing something wrong there - I've not checked.

We do have Netflix for £6 a month or so and Amazon Instant Video, the latter only being because it is bundled with Amazon Prime. The kids use these services, we rarely do.

We use BT for home phone and broadband so that means we have BT Sport but I've probably only used it once or twice in the year or two it's been going.

The TV is 'smart' so has built-in iPlayer (and Netflix, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube etc) but we also have a Mac Mini connected to the TV which has a 4tb drive plugged in the back full of films and some TV shows. I also use Get iPlayer Automator to download BBC/ITV stuff to watch at some point in the future, and to capture stuff for the kids.

If there is a sporting event I really must watch, the Mac Mini will be used to stream it to the TV. That's very few and far between though.

Pretty sure that you can not get Dave on freeview and you can only get it with Freesat.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If none of them are good I have a spare one at home. I will check if it works and you can have it for 10pound ?
Thanks - what model is your spare one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here