Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports 1 and 2 coming to Freeview

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Sky related info:

We received an offer direct mail from Sky a week or so ago, asking us to restart our Sky Movies subscription for just £2 extra per week for 3 months (which is half the standard price I think). We phoned up and said we'd like to take advantage of the deal but the Sky customer service rep said she couldn't see that offer on our account.

She went away and spoke to her supervisor and came back with a better offer: Sky Movies + Sky Sports for just £2.50 per MONTH for 6 months. DEAL.

Not sure if we just got lucky, but if you also received the half-price movie offer (or even if you didn't) it may be worth giving them a call.
:rave:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The funny thing is BT Vision want to broadcast SS1 and SS2 on Freesat as pay channels which surely defeats the whole concept of Freesat. :lol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Only trouble with that is, I can't get freeview, doesn't switch over until 2012, and I would imagine it will be late, seeing as the governemnt has something to do with it.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Sky related info:

We received an offer direct mail from Sky a week or so ago, asking us to restart our Sky Movies subscription for just £2 extra per week for 3 months (which is half the standard price I think). We phoned up and said we'd like to take advantage of the deal but the Sky customer service rep said she couldn't see that offer on our account.

She went away and spoke to her supervisor and came back with a better offer: Sky Movies + Sky Sports for just £2.50 per MONTH for 6 months. DEAL.

Not sure if we just got lucky, but if you also received the half-price movie offer (or even if you didn't) it may be worth giving them a call.

Seems to me, probably mainly for NSC threads, but people who ring up sky, whether to threaten to leave or some other reason, seem to get good deals, while the rest of us schmucks who just pay for the service subsidise them. Doesn't say much for service loyalty does it. My fault I guess.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Actually digital switchover has been going like clockwork so far. Infact it looks like it is going to come in a lot under budget.

It was originally agreed to be completed between 2006 and 2010, but the authorities managed to screw that up with licensing stuff. Not 100% certain who the authorites responsible for that delay are, but it is a governemnt lead process, and Tessa Jowell announced it was going to be delayed, she was government at the time I believe.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Expect all the speedway, sailing, and random junk to move onto Sky Spots 1 and 2 then, while the BIG sports move over to Sky Sports 3, and 4.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Expect all the speedway, sailing, and random junk to move onto Sky Spots 1 and 2 then, while the BIG sports move over to Sky Sports 3, and 4.

I was just thinking that but surely ofcom would kick off if they did?

I'm going to get top up tv anyway, doesn't sound like a bad deal. You get a free recording decoder (poor mans sky +) quite a few decent channels and ESPN for £20 a month, sky sports one is rumoured to cost £21.99 extra a month or with ESPN and SS2 £30.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

Absolutely. I can see a lot of big sports going over to SS3 and SS4 very soon, football, ryder cups, ashes series etc. I presume Sky can choose whatever channel they want to put their programmes on and are not obliged to put big events on SS1. BT are doing there big sell about having cheap SS1 and SS2 what if Sky put sailing, eventing etc. and other such tosh that they normally put on SS4 on there.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Even if they are obliged to put a certain amount of "premier" sports coverage on 1 and 2, they will do it in a way that makes it impossible to be relied upon.

There are times when all their channels have live coverage of something, but if they chop and change the channels so that 1 and 2 sometimes get the odd football match, a rugby international now and a gain, plus the odd bit of golf coverage. Maybe throw in a couple of Thursday night NFL games.

Although that may satisfy what will undoubtedly be some fairly soft regulation of what goes on these channels, then it will also leave the avid viewer of any of those sports with no more than a little taster. It's be like the odd "freeview" Baseball game the old NASN channel used to throw in. A marketing tool that shows everyone what you could have for just a few bucks more.

ballboys

Feb 23, 2009
Sky related info:

Very interesting as i'm currently going through this process.

Currently paying £58.50 per month for full Sky world + Multiroom + Movies + Sport.

After buting a new TV I wanted to switch to HD so considered Freesat HD. I called Sky to cancel and all they offered me to stay was free internet for 6 months (but tied into Sky Broadband for 18 months) and £30 for Sky HD box but extra £Tenner for HD per month or

Half price Sky subscription for 6 months but £100 for installation.

Bottom line - they can shove their £68.50 per month. I'm going elsewhere!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Been waiting for this for weeks now (freeview TUTV have been negotiating and it was always gonna happen - that article doesn't change much as still waiting on prices etc)

Sky are not allowed to move the big stuff to SS3 or 4 - part of the Ofcom ruling.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Top Up TV has today announced that it will bring Sky Sports 1 & Sky Sports 2 to over 10 million Freeview homes in the UK when it launches its new sports packs on Monday 2 August 2010. Sky Sports 1 & 2 will join ESPN on Top Up TV, giving subscribers live access to 2010/11 Barclays Premier League games and Champions League matches previously only available on satellite and cable, plus a vast array of other sports.

The deal, will also see Top Up TV become the only UK provider to offer sports fans access to Sky Sports 1 & 2 with no contract and no requirement to buy bundled packages of channels or services, such as phone and broadband.

Top Up TV will offer subscribers the lowest stand-alone price for sport in the UK, with subscribers able to buy Sky Sports 1 for just £22.99 a month, Sky Sports 1 & 2 for £31.99 a month and the whole pack, Sky Sports 1 & 2 and ESPN, for just £39.99 a month.

Top Up TV CEO, Nick Markham, said: “Top Up TV is the easy, flexible choice place to get Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2 and ESPN in the UK. With no 12 month contract, the lowest stand-alone price and no need to buy bundled packages, Top Up TV puts fans in control – you can choose the best sport on your own terms.”

Top Up TV is the only Sports, Entertainment and Movies subscription TV service in the UK on the digital terrestrial platform, Freeview. Launched in 2004, Top Up TV offers premium films, sport and great TV content. It currently offers subscribers access to a wide range of international and domestic TV and movies from global brands, including Warner Brothers, Disney, Universal and BBC Worldwide, plus sport from ESPN.

Most subscribers will be able to access Sky Sports on Freeview using their existing Top Up TV equipment. If current subscribers require an equipment upgrade Top Up TV will make great special offers on hardware available. To find out how to subscribe to Sky Sports 1 & 2 call 08444 158 158.

Bargain. lolz

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Must admit £23 is a lot more than I expected... Though i'm sure I can strike a deal with them :)

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Very interesting as i'm currently going through this process.

Currently paying £58.50 per month for full Sky world + Multiroom + Movies + Sport.

After buting a new TV I wanted to switch to HD so considered Freesat HD. I called Sky to cancel and all they offered me to stay was free internet for 6 months (but tied into Sky Broadband for 18 months) and £30 for Sky HD box but extra £Tenner for HD per month or

Half price Sky subscription for 6 months but £100 for installation.

Bottom line - they can shove their £68.50 per month. I'm going elsewhere!

Sounds like a decent deal.

How does that compare with the cost of the Freesat HD box and the cost of your existing broadband?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here