Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky News Breaking

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Exactly, so hardly in the middle of nowhere.

I find it hard to believe that, if they thought there was a severe risk of a bomb, that "No flights have been delayed" as per the Gatwick spokesman is correct.

Reading the Argus article, it seems that it could have been an abandoned van which was blown up rather than a bomb.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Exactly, so hardly in the middle of nowhere.

I find it hard to believe that, if they thought there was a severe risk of a bomb, that "No flights have been delayed" as per the Gatwick spokesman is correct.

I didn't say it was in the middle of nowhere.

I was simply emphasising that there are two ways to neutralise a bomb. One by blowing the thing up (in a place in which it is safe to do so) and two by disabling it by more 'technical' means

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I didn't say it was in the middle of nowhere.

I was simply emphasising that there are two ways to neutralise a bomb. One by blowing the thing up (in a place in which it is safe to do so) and two by disabling it by more 'technical' means

Sorry. Wasn't meant to sound so derogatory, I misunderstood.

I'm a bit bemused by the whole process. If they can see inside the van, they would surely know that the risk is low level or not. If they can't, they could be unleashing all hell with their controlled explosion.

Either way, a terrorist has been foiled or a person will have to make a claim for their van and pay for 24 hours worth of parking, through lack of ticket.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009

I'm a bit bemused by the whole process. If they can see inside the van, they would surely know that the risk is low level or not. If they can't, they could be unleashing all hell with their controlled explosion.

Either way, a terrorist has been foiled or a person will have to make a claim for their van and pay for 24 hours worth of parking, through lack of ticket.

Agreed

That part I can't answer. To carry out a controlled explosion they would need to enter the vehicle. Wouldn't this enable them to make an accurate threat assessment?

Can we then assume that there was a genuine threat?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
It stood out like a sore thumb, as it appeared to contain edible flight meals

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
It stood out like a sore thumb, as it appeared to contain edible flight meals

That's what you get for flying economy

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham

I was working in Horsham one day when there was a controlled explosion on a brief case that had been abandoned in the shopping centre, turned out there wasn't a bomb just somebody feeling very silly I expect when he heard what had happened!

RickofBHAFC

Jul 27, 2004
:facepalm:

Not blow up the van

Difuse the device

Went off on a tangent then.

Although exploding the device is a method used in a number of theatres

Exploding the device is a method used in a number of theatres?? How bloody dangerous is that?!! I am never going to the theatre again!!! :eek::annoyed::lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

And if you can't see inside the van?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And if you can't see inside the van?

Err...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here