Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky+ HD

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I did try searching for an existing thread but "Sky+ HD" is too short to search for.

I have just got my Sky+ box replaced by and HD version. I did the self set up and all was fine until the Channel Activation bit when it said there was an error. I phoned Sky and went through what the guy on the phone said to do and now all is working fine i.e. standard HD channels like BBC etc.

However, it still says I am not subscribed to the Sports, Movies or National Geographic type HD channels so can't view them. I have the full Sky package so can watch them all in normal definition. Do I have to pay more than £10 a month to get the Sports and Movies as I understood it to be £10 for the whole lot to match your existing Sky package.

The guy on the phone said it may take a while for it all to process but I left it overnight and nothing has changed.

Do I just need to be patient or shall I call them again? Anyone with similar experiences that can shed any light please? :smile:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It should be activated by now.

You are correct in that it's £10 for the HD versions of the channels that you subscribe too.

Try re-booting the box. If that doesn't work get onto them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes it can sometimes take a few hours before your sports/movie channels appear, but overnight it should certainly have gone through by now. A mate of mine had his installed the morning of a Spurs v Man U match, and was having KITTENS two hours later as the sports channels hadn't come up and he was going to miss kickoff...one phone call later and vóila - his gloryhunting could resume, in HD.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think it takes a couple of hours after set-up for the premier channels to come through sometimes

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Give them a call does sound like something has gone wrong, no way it would take this long

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
It should be activated by now.

You are correct in that it's £10 for the HD versions of the channels that you subscribe too.

Try re-booting the box. If that doesn't work get onto them.

Thanks clippedgull. I thought the £10 covered all the channels, but started to doubt it when they still weren't accessible this morning. Will check when I get home and try the old switch it off and on again routine before calling them. Ta

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Yes it can sometimes take a few hours before your sports/movie channels appear, but overnight it should certainly have gone through by now. A mate of mine had his installed the morning of a Spurs v Man U match, and was having KITTENS two hours later as the sports channels hadn't come up and he was going to miss kickoff...one phone call later and vóila - his gloryhunting could resume, in HD.

I think the booklet said up to 4 hours, so that's why I thought perhaps you did have to pay more than the £10 to access Sports HD.

I was looking forward to watching the golf in HD last night. would have been lovely to see Tiger Woods' grimacing in full blow high definition!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the booklet said up to 4 hours, so that's why I thought perhaps you did have to pay more than the £10 to access Sports HD.

I was looking forward to watching the golf in HD last night. would have been lovely to see Tiger Woods' grimacing in full blow high definition!

Golf is absolutely beautiful in HD.
I like toggling between SD and HD to see the difference - anyone who doubts whether HD is worth it, just show them the difference with the golf coverage, its fabulous. Roll on the Ryder Cup.

:thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When I got my sky+HD installed I was changing over from a non-sky+ box. The recording/live pause didn't work right away, and the engineer said it could take up to 4 hours. By the time 4 hours had passed it was 7 in the evening and I couldn't be bothered to phone sky, then went to work early the next day. Got home from work and it still wasn't working, phoned sky, they said they'd send a boost through to start it. Four hours later, again, I couldn't be bothered, next morning I phoned before heading into work, the lady looked at the screen and it showed that they'd been sending the signal through for HD, but forgetting to add on the sky+ bit. Sent it through and immediately it worked.

I like toggling between SD and HD to see the difference

My TV lets me do a split screen between my HDMI input and scart input, and since the scart input is SD (it goes through my dvd recorder) I get to see HD and SD side by side. It's fun to see the difference.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Virgin want £8 a month extra for me to get HD sky sports....... I already pay about £80~ a month and I am reluctant to hand over more, but should I?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Split screen, like what they do on the display models in Tesco.
Nice.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Split screen, like what they do on the display models in Tesco.
Nice.

Yeah it really helps to see the difference. I mad such subtle steps in picture quality, I went from analogue to digital cable through an analogue source, then to scart which improved the picture, then through 720HD(?), which gave a slightly better picture, then upscaled dvds through component cables, then a 1040HD tv with upscaled dvds through hdmi, then got HD tv. So at first I thought "is that all?" then when I looked at a split screen it really shows how much better the picture is.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
It's worth saying that from the 5th October you'll have to subscribe to the correct package in order to recieve the HD version of the channel.

For example you'll have to have the Sports Mix for Sports HD, Movies Mix for Movies HD and Disney HD, News Mix for Sky News HD, Entertainment pack for most over HD channels.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
It's worth saying that from the 5th October you'll have to subscribe to the correct package in order to recieve the HD version of the channel.

For example you'll have to have the Sports Mix for Sports HD, Movies Mix for Movies HD and Disney HD, News Mix for Sky News HD, Entertainment pack for most over HD channels.

Isn't that what you have to do now? I don't get Sky Movies therefore don't get Movies in HD.

Jerryatric

NSC Patron
Jul 18, 2003
Worthing
Golf is absolutely beautiful in HD.
I like toggling between SD and HD to see the difference - anyone who doubts whether HD is worth it, just show them the difference with the golf coverage, its fabulous. Roll on the Ryder Cup.

:thumbsup:

You are a sad person. Get a life!

PS: I do exactly the same!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here