Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Digibox Help

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Sky at home is currently not working, and wondering if someone may be able to help

The screen on any sky channel comes up with "searching for listings" and after a while "there is a technical problem with this channel". This occurs for any channel

There are no listings available at anytime

Checked the Services section. The signal strength is about 20% but the signal quality is 0%. Also says something about not being locked, in the same section.

Interactive services not currently working either

Any help would be greatly appreciated

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
I assume you've tried turning it off at the power point and turning it back on again? I have no other suggestions but any problems with sky that always works for me!

Last edited:

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
sir danny cullip said:
I assume you've tried turning it off at the power point and turning it back on again? I have no other suggestions but any problems with sky that always works for me!

Yer, that turn it off at the power, leave it for 30 seconds malarkey

Cheers anyway

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Friend of mine had that last week. His box was f***ed and they paid the £50 for the sky engineer to come out and they now have a new digibox.

Alternatively is the dish still in-line? Ours got moved out of line by a stray football (bloody neighbours) the other month.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Well had a look at the box, but it doesn't seem as though it has re-aligned. Its pretty rigid and so any movement i would have thought unlikely

However, we have had people relaying the roof where digibox is so mother reckons they might have knocked it out of line

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Berty_G said:
Well had a look at the box, but it doesn't seem as though it has re-aligned. Its pretty rigid and so any movement i would have thought unlikely

However, we have had people relaying the roof where digibox is so mother reckons they might have knocked it out of line
Don't you mean dish? It is possible that they clouted one, and they're far too dishonest to admit it.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
nothing to do with the weather is it , the darker it gets the more likely you are to get channels innit :cool:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Goodfella said:
Try turning it all off, and take out the card and clean the little gold bit.

That worked for me
Little known fact....

Sky cards have two chips in them, so you could always try turning the card round (put it in back-to-front) as the second chip is concealed. Told that by a Sky engineer a little while ago, so it may have changed now.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I've just been corrected on the second chip thing.....

Apparently it's in the machine, so take the card out and see what happens. Also the turn it around thing blocks both signals from the chips.

Sky customer service will talk you through loads of different options, so give them a call, you lazy git!!!! ;)

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Woodchip said:
I've just been corrected on the second chip thing.....

Apparently it's in the machine, so take the card out and see what happens. Also the turn it around thing blocks both signals from the chips.

Sky customer service will talk you through loads of different options, so give them a call, you lazy git!!!! ;)

I can't see how taking the card out will actually help? ???

I thought i would ask the intellectuals of NSC for thier help as it could save a lot of time and effort rather than calling SKY's customer services line. And it's my parents who are the lazy gits :p

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If the signal meters are down, the box either has a dead tuner, or is entirely blameless

More likely, your dish has become misaligned (wind usually to blame), or the LNB has died (water or very hot weather does this). But as you have builders in, they probably either knocked the dish themselves, or managed to cut the cabling, or kink/bend is so badly that theres massive crosstalk.

As goes Brader's comment - at night, particularly during summer, reception is slightly easier due to there being less clouds and other conditions, but as we're dealing microwave (10.7-12.7Ghz) and not radio bands (100Khz->150Mhz or so), its nowhere near the night gain on radio.

Sky cards have never had two chips, the box does have two -card readers-, but one can't read the subscription card.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
They have been using blowtorches to put the roofing stuff down, reckon that and the hot weather could be to blame?

Or just that they have knocked it out of line?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
well, it could have affected the cable, but its hot, cloudless days and the heat being reflected by the dish on to the LNB that causes LNB frying, not nearby blow torches.

They've most likely put it out of line. Either shout at them, or get a technician in. Or fly me over to Burgess Hill and I'll have it fixed in minutes ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here