Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Skalak

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I dont think I have seen a player contribute so little in open play. Goodness knows what his best position is because he is not a winger. Unable to go past anybody and looks like a rabbit in headlights when he has ball with defenders round him.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Skalak so we agree not very quick does not get back to defend but can cross a ball reminds me of David Beckham

So is Skalak our Czech Beck

I will get my coat

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
7 assists and two goals says he starts the game. The importance of set plays in a tight game cannot be underestimated. Were we to be in the fortunate position of having a lead to defend going into the last 10 minutes or so then I would bring in Murphy who does offer much more in defence and open play.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Murphy to start for me; can't justify Skalak starting just on the strength of set pieces. Done naff all else yesterday and can't go past defenders.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
It's a incredibly tough decision. Knocky is guaranteed a place in the side as he is our best all round winger. When you think of the amount of important set piece goals Skalak has contributed to recently and taking into account Boro's defence is extremely good it may well be our best chance to score. But Murphy (currently) is far superior in open play, can take on defenders and is also better defensively imo.

I think I'd probably come down on the side of starting Murphy as we can't have any 'passengers' and Knockaert can also deliver a quality set piece/corner.

Has Murphy not started up front this season too though. I personally thought Baldock was well below par yesterday and would consider a 4 4 1 1 with Skalak and Knockaert on the wing and Murphy playing just behind Hemed

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I just haven't seen anything from Lua Lua recently that says he deserves to be starting. No problem his being brought on to try and win a game if needed, but both Murphy and Skalak have more to offer on current form. Yesterday once again it seemed KLL kept receiving the ball in fairly central areas, which just negates the strongest part of his game, which in my opinion is beating a full back when it's one vs one. I appreciate Skalak cannot beat a player in that way, but he will deliver quality balls from wide areas more reliably than both Murphy and KLL, whether set-plays or during open play..

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I do understand some of the criticisms, but for God's sake, it's just one less effective game against a very good team. Hotchilidog hit it on the head with 7 assists and 2 goals. We now expect to get goals from set pieces and dare I suggest that Knockie has actually raised his dead ball game as a result of competition from Jiri? This is the most important/valuable game in the history of the club to date. One of the oldest adages in football is 'don't change a successful team'. no way, no way, no way would I drop Jiri. He's been a breath of fresh air and, actually, I didn't think he played that badly anyway against Derby. We've just set the bar a bit higher for him now.

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
I agree Skalak was not at his best in open play during the first half but to say he cannot beat defenders is harsh. Twice in the second half he completely fooled Christie who fouled him both times to add to the serial offences he committed during the game with a lenient ref. I agree he needs to do more but I think there is more to come next season. Next week could be a good time to restore Murphy as he is well rested but I think CH will start with the same team with the exception of Dunk.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can Skalak play centre back? :moo:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
to say he cannot beat defenders is harsh. Twice in the second half he completely fooled Christie who fouled him both times to add to the serial offences he committed during the game with a lenient ref.

I agree. He also beat him once in the first half - it's the first time I've seen him beat defenders. I don't understand the clamour for Lua Lua who did very little when he came on, Murphy must be miffed that he didn't get a chance.

I'd still start with Skalak but Murphy would be a good option to bring on

Mulderbauer

Feb 23, 2009
We struggled yesterday against an excellent 5 man midfield and Boro will play the same with Rhodes up top. We need more control and craft in Midfield and Murphy will give us that especially away from home. Keep it tight for the first 60 min/try and just try and pick them off. If its still 0-0 and drawing at this point id bring on Skalak for Murphy, Sidwell or Wilson for Baldock and Bobby, yes Bobby (even last 15) for Hemed. I don't care if he's hobbling, he'll put himself about and cause chaos. Imagine Skalak and Knocky firing crosses..

I also think Dunks red card helps us. Greer is far more assured in pressure games

We can do this. Up the Albion!!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This will be one of the most important selection decisions with an injury to their best left back. I would prefer to see JM as he is a better around player for me and has the dynamism to get behind them. Leave crosses to AK and say to him before the match you'll be the main man; I would be very surprised if he didn't step up to the challenge! Plus on their board they have mention Downing has had to carry a lot of the defensive work, we'll have more of that on Sat please!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If a striker had scored 8 goals in the same amount of minutes as Skalak has played would people consider dropping him because he didn't do much else? Not a chance in hell, so why do people consider dropping Skalak?

Boro looked very vulnerable from dead balls against Birmingham IMO, Skalak simply has to start for me.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
the problem with Jiri is he doesn't seem to have much of a left foot... which is an issue if you're playing left wing as you have to cut back EVERY time...

no doubting his tenacity, and his corner/free kick deliveries are the best we've had for ages... any chance he could play as a third CM, with Murphy out wide? would love to see an 89th minute corner clearance drop to him on the edge of the box saturday, and for him to rifle another unstoppable net-breaker

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Now, I realise single handedly how many points he has been responsible for and how deadly his dead balls are... But in open play is he a bit of a liability. I said this after Forest & Birmingham, and yesterday he seemed to play us in to danger and seemed incapable of doing much when he had the ball.

Time to put Murphy back in next week? Who did seem to have built up a great relationship with Rosenior in terms of overlapping runs etc

You pay your money, you make your choice, Skalak has occasional, though often,
moments of brilliance, Murphy is Mr consistency in all aspects of the game, Lua Lua is still recovering from a bad injury, but, on his day hes a matchwinner. Personally I would start with Jiri on Saturday.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We struggled yesterday against an excellent 5 man midfield and Boro will play the same with Rhodes up top. We need more control and craft in Midfield and Murphy will give us that especially away from home. Keep it tight for the first 60 min/try and just try and pick them off. If its still 0-0 and drawing at this point id bring on Skalak for Murphy, Sidwell or Wilson for Baldock and Bobby, yes Bobby (even last 15) for Hemed. I don't care if he's hobbling, he'll put himself about and cause chaos. Imagine Skalak and Knocky firing crosses..

I also think Dunks red card helps us. Greer is far more assured in pressure games

We can do this. Up the Albion!!

I agree that the game plan has to be to keep the match 0-0 until around 55/60 minutes, then go for it - and I think Murphy would be much the better option than Lua Lua as the first sub. The first half will, I'm sure, be VERY cagey. Borough will deffo play 4-5-1, with Rodes on his own up front.

Let's also hope that Kayal is fit....

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

You mean like the 3-0 loss against 'Boro at the AMEX earlier in the season where he was culpable throughout????

As for Skalak, I don't think anyone can deny he wasn't very good yesterday. He looks lightweight at times as he's still getting used to the league, and he loses the ball in areas he really shouldn't do. But in terms of pure output since he came into the team, I don't see how he can be dropped, and that's coming from a big fan of Murphy's.

In terms of the overall discussion, I'm surprised KLL is even being discussed as an option to start - then again I was surprised that he was called on yesterday ahead of Murphy considering the structure of the game at that moment.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
This will be one of the most important selection decisions with an injury to their best left back. I would prefer to see JM as he is a better around player for me and has the dynamism to get behind them. Leave crosses to AK and say to him before the match you'll be the main man; I would be very surprised if he didn't step up to the challenge! Plus on their board they have mention Downing has had to carry a lot of the defensive work, we'll have more of that on Sat please!

Their left back will be up against Knocky.
No selection decision necessary there.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Maybe there is a solution here

What if for the next 4 or 5 days ''someone'' works on their set piece delivery

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here