Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Laurence Olivier, fan of the Albion

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Or maybe "Kind Hearts and Coronets" with Sir Alec filling in for 1st team keeper, left back and manager. I rather suspect that Tony Bloom is very much like George Smiley.

I did actually feel a bit guilty typing that last post. One of our greatest stage and Shakespearean actors, and I've basically reduced him to Obi Wan Kenobi.

Sorry, Sir Alec.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I did actually feel a bit guilty typing that last post. One of our greatest stage and Shakespearean actors, and I've basically reduced him to Obi Wan Kenobi.

Sorry, Sir Alec.

Apparently, he hated the role. Made him loads of dosh though as he was on a share of the profits. I was lucky enough to see him at Chichester Theatre back in about 1984 or 85. He was playing Shylock in Merchants of Venice and we were studying it as part of our O level. I remember being a bit underwhelmed to be honest.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Apparently, he hated the role. Made him loads of dosh though as he was on a share of the profits. I was lucky enough to see him at Chichester Theatre back in about 1984 or 85. He was playing Shylock in Merchants of Venice and we were studying it as part of our O level. I remember being a bit underwhelmed to be honest.
This - iirc it was because (as Edna demonstrated above :D) he had any number of fine acting roles thoroughout a long and distinguished career but all most people recognised him for was Star Wars.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Tis indeed true.
My aunt and uncle (both now long deceased) owned an electrical/TV shop in Steyning.
In the 1960s and early 70s Sir Larry was a regular customer and quite friendly with my uncle - he bought a couple of TVs from him over the years. He would often stop and talk football. He sat for half an hour to watch the 1964 FA Cup Final (West Ham v Preston) on a TV in my uncle's shop, while I was there as a wee nipper (told afterwards who he was!). He was a glory hunting fan and eulogised George Best, Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore. But he was also a regular at the Goldstone Ground when his acting commitments allowed.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I remember that Sir Larry was an occasional visitor to the County Cricket ground and that his son had paid coaching there ( circa 72-73 ) Saw him + missus ( Lady Joan ) + son in company of Les Lenham ( then County Coach ) who was fawning all over them.
Not heard of an Albion connection but wouldn't rule it out. He did reside in Sussex for a long time and may well have known Norman Wisdom.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
How about Anthony Jackson (Mr. Mumford) from Rentaghost? Seaford lad so I recall.

image.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This - iirc it was because (as Edna demonstrated above :D) he had any number of fine acting roles thoroughout a long and distinguished career but all most people recognised him for was Star Wars.

It's a little known fact, but Sir Alec did pop along to Selhurst Park with Mark Hamill while they were filming the first of the initial Star Wars trilogy. Incredibly, the moment of their arrival was captured on film:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Instead of Sir Larry a better candidate might be Sir Alec Guinness. Educated at Bexhill and Eastbourne and lived in Midhurst. I'd be quite chuffed if it were revealed that he supported the Albion.

Better then that for me Paul Scofield went to Varndean school! Lived in Barcombe.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sir Paul Scofield actually lived in Balcombe - I used to deliver his newspaper :) Decent Xmas tipper but a yappy, westie I think, dog sounded more like a feriousious apex predator, you know the sort that sounded like it shredded the paper instantly popped through the letterbox and the scourge of all mail deliverers up and down the land.

You don't get this sort of shite in his biography you know...you have not been charged for this insight :)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Sir Paul Scofield actually lived in Balcombe - I used to deliver his newspaper :) Decent Xmas tipper but a yappy, westie I think, dog sounded more like a feriousious apex predator, you know the sort that sounded like it shredded the paper instantly popped through the letterbox and the scourge of all mail deliverers up and down the land.

You don't get this sort of shite in his biography you know...you have not been charged for this insight :)

Brilliant, i'm going for The Express!?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Whatever happened to Jamie Theakston? Well known for his Albion fandom...

beardy

May 30, 2014
Mumford and son

How about Anthony Jackson (Mr. Mumford) from Rentaghost? Seaford lad so I recall.

View attachment 54398

I knew Anthony Jackson, and I can tell you that as a Seaford lad he didn't care two "hoots" for the Seagulls but was a loyal follower of The Badgers and could often be seen at The Crouch chomping on a meat pie and swigging his trademark can of Diet Lilt (laced with some of Barbados' finest if I knew old Jacko, which I did).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here