Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Don't think the Mail is a key reason. He has been supportive of Israel and it's war crimes since the start. He is supportive of whatever Israel does as it's politically advantageous (aligns with US policy) and the Labour front bench and also a number of leading members including Starmer are in Labour Friends of Israel and receive funding from them.

Oh I see, it's not using the word ceasefire that makes him pro an Israeli genocide. Right, the issue with that is the semantics we have gotten into, where ceasefire meant Israel must stop all actions in Gaza, regardless of what Hamas are doing that day.
That isn't reasonable.
It would be reasonable to ask all combatants to cease fighting, return hostages to their homes and start talking.
It would be reasonable to ask Israel to ensure safe passage for civilians, to allow aid for civilians, and to try and limit the destruction of civilians infrastructure.
In my opinion Israel is going way over the top, I wouldn't say genocide, but there seems to be a desire to displace Palestinains from the Northern part of Gaza, maybe ethnic cleansing. As a politician, you need to be much more careful with your language though, especially when you have a media willing you to slip up so they can crucify you.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Repeating something a million times on every thread you can doesn't make it true mate.
You just hate Jews. Be man enough to say it in public
You dont need to listen to me.

Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, and Btselem (Israeli Human Rights group) say its Apartheid and Israel is has been taken to the ICJ by South Africa. There are very few sane people that argue that Israel is not in the least committing mass war crimes

Feel free to carry on though being ignorant and defending atrocities through spurious racism accusations.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There it is. Opposing Apartheid and genocide is "anti-semitism". Strange times
If it was accepted that apartheid and genocide was in action, you would have a fair point. It isn't, but neither are the allegations entirely baseless. The apartheid allegation is tricky because within Israel, it certainly is not true, however, the subjugation of the populations in the West Bank and Gaza is something worse than apartheid. There is some language being used by some in power in Israel, and actions being taken in Gaza that could point towards a genocide becoming a reality, but it seems more that there is too little restraint for fear of civillian deaths more than actual targetting of civillians.
There is a tendency by some of the very pro Israel to overstate antisemitism and call antisemitism over almost any criticism of Israel, but you seem to be at the other end of the spectrum and take anything Israel can be criticised for and overstate it.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Seemed a decent set fans at Rochdale judging by a Tuesday night in 2001. Some of the MPS have been dodgy though, Cyril Smith child abuser for example.

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
He isn't, but he isn't able to criticise Israeli actions as strongly as he might, due to papers like the Mail being ready to jump on it. This isn't a problem in his party, its a problem in the press.
Stop blaming everything on the Mail! This is front page news in The Guardian too. Maybe Starmer actually really believes Israel has the right to defend itself from Hamas psychopaths.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022

The Daily Mail is definitely the Bogeyman on NSC political threads !!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was replying to Borat, of course. Who you've probably wisely put on mute. I would but then there'd be barely anyone left to challenge his cynical, obsessive daily Antisemitism.
As you say, because he can
I can unmute him if you feel a larger mob would be handy :wink:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I'm not a fan of Starmer but he seems a competent manager given the other choices. A bit like Major in 1992 up against a nurse loving Kinnock. I can't see how these two candidates could have been dealt with better, usually we don't hear these things until after someone has been elected. But, in both these cases, the candidates are only saying things that many people think. It's better out in the open and acknowledged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here