Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Well Starmer has certainly moved the Labour party way to the right from where it was under Corbyn (hence the debate amongst traditional Labour supporters as to whether he is now centre or even centre right) but certainly in the same centre ground as the Party was under Blair.

As a consequence of this, and the Conservative party moving far right over the last few years, there are now a significant number of centre/centre right NSC posters who have stated that they will be backing Starmer next election, even some with a long history of supporting the Conservatives.

However, there a still a number of self proclaimed 'centrists' that state with regularity that Starmer still has some way to go to prove worthy of their vote or that they will still support the current Conservative party.

I think there may be a few different definitions of the words centre and centrists :wink:

It's certainly not a thread for centrists is it :laugh:
Agree with you there Watford. I'd just add to your last paragraphs the consideration that some who may consider themselves "centrists" or thereabouts are now looking at other options to both parties, not just Labour and Tory.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agree with you there Watford. I'd just add to your last paragraphs the consideration that some who may consider themselves "centrists" or thereabouts are now looking at other options to both parties, not just Labour and Tory.

Good point, but I believe those numbers would be far greater if we had an electoral system that actually reflected the vote share ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Quite. You may be referring to me too, but I think this thread is best left to Labour supporters only without further comment.
Good to see nastiness, snide remarks and general grumpiness are all fit and healthy on NSC as the year draws to a close.😢😢
You two can start your own thread to agree with each other free from ‘nastiness, snide remarks, and general grumpiness’, none of which has been reported to a moderator, nor disciplined.
Before you go, please highlight these evil posts, so we can see who are the evil ones.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some of us vote tactically, and not necessarily our first choice.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Some of us vote tactically, and not necessarily our first choice.
Vote for something you don't want, the whole reason democracy works.

simone-facepalm-i-give-up-7t1xmwzgzy660tf7.gif

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
You two can start your own thread to agree with each other free from ‘nastiness, snide remarks, and general grumpiness’, none of which has been reported to a moderator, nor disciplined.
Before you go, please highlight these evil posts, so we can see who are the evil ones.
Oh dear, a rather unnecessary and a wee bit of an unpleasant post to me, being as I am one of NSC’s less abrasive posters who tries to engage in discussion in a balanced manner.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Absolutely, Get the Tories out. Which ironically looks likely to be the summation to the opening post. Sir Kier Starmers route to Number 10.
Sad state when it's 'Get the incumbents (of any persuasion) out, get anyone in, whatever their policies (if they even have any).

Excellent.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh dear, a rather unnecessary and a wee bit of an unpleasant post to me, being as I am one of NSC’s less abrasive posters who tries to engage in discussion in a balanced manner.
Just a wee bit? Ah, that’s better than a scathing attack.
I’m gently taking the mickey out of your constant complaining. 🙂

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Well Starmer has certainly moved the Labour party way to the right from where it was under Corbyn (hence the debate amongst traditional Labour supporters as to whether he is now centre or even centre right) but certainly in the same centre ground as the Party was under Blair.

As a consequence of this, and the Conservative party moving far right over the last few years, there are now a significant number of centre/centre right NSC posters who have stated that they will be backing Starmer next election, even some with a long history of supporting the Conservatives.

However, there a still a number of self proclaimed 'centrists' that state with regularity that Starmer still has some way to go to prove worthy of their vote or that they will still support the current Conservative party.

I think there may be a few different definitions of the words centre and centrists :wink:

It's certainly not a thread for centrists is it :laugh:
I agree. I remember Blair being criticised as centre right. Well if a labour govt (and to be honest it will need 2 terms given the mess they could inherit) achieved half of what the 1997 and 2001 govts achieved I would be very very happy. And yes I do realise that because of iraq and afghanistan blair went from potentially one of our greatest prime ministers to one of the worst. But still a whole lot better than the last 4 or 5.

As an example
  1. Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.
  2. Low mortgage rates.
  3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.
  4. Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.
  5. Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.
  6. Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.
  7. Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.
  8. Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.
  9. Employment is at its highest level ever.
  10. Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.
  11. 85,000 more nurses.
  12. 32,000 more doctors.
  13. Brought back matrons to hospital wards.
  14. Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.
  15. Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.
  16. Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.
  17. NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.
  18. Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year.
  19. Restored city-wide government to London.
  20. Record number of students in higher education.
  21. Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.
  22. Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children’s Centres.
  23. Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
  24. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.
  25. On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
  26. Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.
  27. Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.
  28. All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.
  29. A million pensioners lifted out of poverty.
  30. 600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.
  31. Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.
  32. Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.
  33. Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.
  34. Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997.
  35. Banned fox hunting.
  36. Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.
  37. Free TV licences for over-75s.
  38. Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.
  39. Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.
  40. Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.
  41. New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.
  42. Over 3 million child trust funds have been started.
  43. Free eye test for over 60s.
  44. More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.
  45. Free entry to national museums and galleries.
  46. Overseas aid budget more than doubled.
  47. Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.
  48. Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.
  49. Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.
  50. Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
An electoral dilemma:
The only possible chance of putting our Tory incumbent is if enough conservative voters defect to the LDs. I would prefer to vote Labour at the moment but this would be a wasted vote. But I’ve just had a LD election flyer through the door and it is a load of patronising, meaningless drivel seemingly written for primary school children (which is an insult to primary school children).
I believe a Labour gov will be the best for the country but how can you vote for one bunch of idiots when the objective is to get another bunch of idiots out?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
An electoral dilemma:
The only possible chance of putting our Tory incumbent is if enough conservative voters defect to the LDs. I would prefer to vote Labour at the moment but this would be a wasted vote. But I’ve just had a LD election flyer through the door and it is a load of patronising, meaningless drivel seemingly written for primary school children (which is an insult to primary school children).
I believe a Labour gov will be the best for the country but how can you vote for one bunch of idiots when the objective is to get another bunch of idiots out?
Well you’re in the right place, there are a many apparent experts on this board who will get great pleasure in telling you how you should vote 😂

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
and I think that/these typifies that politics always completely divides and ends up in playground boo, sucks, yah
Just like the House of Commons with jeering and braying from both sides.

Order! Order!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here