[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well I can't stand Starmer with his disappointing, wasted opportunity policies so I'll be voting against his candidate.

Obviously I wouldn't vote for the Tory directly so Lib Dem it is. Which might let in the Tory but Starmer deserves his bloody nose from my ballot paper more.

Lol.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well I can't stand Starmer with his disappointing, wasted opportunity policies so I'll be voting against his candidate.

Obviously I wouldn't vote for the Tory directly so Lib Dem it is. Which might let in the Tory but Starmer deserves his bloody nose from my ballot paper more.

Lol.
That's a shame because you won't be voting for Sir Keir Starmer. If you are in Hove, the Labour candidate is likely to be Peter Kyle again who is an excellent MP.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
That's a shame because you won't be voting for Sir Keir Starmer. If you are in Hove, the Labour candidate is likely to be Peter Kyle again who is an excellent MP.
I'll be voting for the policies of the candidate in my area ( not Hove at the moment ).

I'm incandescent about one labour policy, and seething about another.

Not for me, anymore. Things have changed over the last year or so.

Actually, on looking into it, I am more of a "fit" for the Liberal Democrat ideas. So a vote for them is more congruent for me anyway. If it lets in the Tory then Que Sera Sera.

No voting for either leopards face chewing party and then complaining about hungry leopards, as they say.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Lol.

So you are going to vote Lib Dem and let the current cabal back in because you couldn't vote for them directly. And you think that by putting the current cabal back in, it is going to give Starmer a well deserved bloody nose ?

I suspect the well deserved bloody nose from that would be a little closer to home :laugh:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A sign of times post GE, I said this all along.

There'll be a noisy swathe of the left wing chatter-ati slagging off Labour after a short honeymoon period. If (and they won't) get their way on all of; high taxation, ending all private landlord ownership by financial punishment, immediate high wages increases for the public sector, nationalisations, etc.

Labour seem in a good position because of the Tory collapse and the careful strategy of Starmer/the centre-left. It's they and they alone who've delivered an electable party that makes sense to ordinary people, not the hard left.

Now before they're even in the door, unelected Coogan and chums pop up to ride on the aforementioned coattails, patently dissatisfied and via unelected lobbying looking to crowbar their view of the world into a party that are steering a sensible social democrat route.
I'd be delighted if a Starmer government does pursue social democracy, given Labour abandoned it in the 1990s. It's currently unclear whether they return to social democracy, but there are a few tentative signs. If they do, it'll mean that we can move beyond what we've had to endure for the past 40+ years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Lol.
I assume you are being ironic.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He certainly is.

What a contrast between him and LLoyd Russell-Moyle who is a horrible nasty piece of work IMO - surprised KS hasn't got rid of him - he belongs in the bin with the rest of the Corbynistas/Momentum.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'll be voting for the policies of the candidate in my area ( not Hove at the moment ).

I'm incandescent about one labour policy, and seething about another.

Not for me, anymore. Things have changed over the last year or so.

Actually, on looking into it, I am more of a "fit" for the Liberal Democrat ideas. So a vote for them is more congruent for me anyway. If it lets in the Tory then Que Sera Sera.

No voting for either leopards face chewing party and then complaining about hungry leopards, as they say.

I find your logic a little hard to follow. Labour have annoyed you so much (and given that they have enacted no policies because they are in opposition) that you would be relaxed about a tory government?

You remind me of my middle brother who, so incensed was he about labour ditching Corbyn and 'victimizing' him over 'fake' antisemitism, and then 'lurching' to the right that 'preferred' to have a tory government.

I find it all very strange that people cannot compromise with the party they prefer and would rather support the party they dislike.

Or perhaps you never had any time for labour in the first place? ???

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I find your logic a little hard to follow. Labour have annoyed you so much (and given that they have enacted no policies because they are in opposition) that you would be relaxed about a tory government?

You remind me of my middle brother who, so incensed was he about labour ditching Corbyn and 'victimizing' him over 'fake' antisemitism, and then 'lurching' to the right that 'preferred' to have a tory government.

I find it all very strange that people cannot compromise with the party they prefer and would rather support the party they dioslike.

The analogy I best saw is that political.parties are buses not taxis. They wont take you exactly where you want to go so you vote for the one that takes you closer than the others.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He certainly is.

What a contrast between him and LLoyd Russell-Moyle who is a horrible nasty piece of work IMO - surprised KS hasn't got rid of him - he belongs in the bin with the rest of the Corbynistas/Momentum.

Kyle?

He was attacked by ex Trotskyite AWL folk who tried to takeover the local LP, they plotted his deselection.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The analogy I best saw is that political.parties are buses not taxis. They wont take you exactly where you want to go so you vote for the one that takes you closer than the others.
Precisely.

Or, you could have PR where everyone gets exactly what they want!

Oh.....hang on.....

:facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd be delighted if a Starmer government does pursue social democracy, given Labour abandoned it in the 1990s. It's currently unclear whether they return to social democracy, but there are a few tentative signs. If they do, it'll mean that we can move beyond what we've had to endure for the past 40+ years.

Remain optimistic.

I take them at their word in dealing with housing, particularly social housing. THE number one issue of our time, for the many millions who unlike us aren’t housed in comfort. Taxation % is already at a record UK high, certainly the most since 1945 … it will be interesting to see what Reeves can substantively do.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Kyle?

He was attacked by ex Trotskyite AWL folk who tried to takeover the local LP, they plotted his deselection.
Not sure if you misunderstood my post....

IMO Kyle is a good, hardworking MP from the 'right' (in more than one way) side of the Labour Party.

LRM is another story.

I wonder who Labour will select for the third seat in Brighton?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure if you misunderstood my post....

IMO Kyle is a good, hardworking MP from the 'right' (in more than one way) side of the Labour Party.

LRM is another story.

I wonder who Labour will select for the third seat in Brighton?

Agreed on all points.

I suspect Lucas’s successor will also win, at elections the green posters are everywhere, even with the personal loyalty no longer relevant. (My constituency)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Remain optimistic.

I take them at their word in dealing with housing, particularly social housing. THE number one issue of our time, for the many millions who unlike us aren’t housed in comfort. Taxation % is already at a record UK high, certainly the most since 1945 … it will be interesting to see what Reeves can substantively do.
My optimism has been boosted by you mentioning social democracy on here unprompted (or have I not been paying attention?). I do take your point about fiscal restraints but, if we're in a crisis (we are IMO), bold solutions are required. I'm reserving judgment about what they do once in power.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Kyle?

I hope they failed.

Starmer seems to be doing a good job of keeping the twats at arms length (given how much the old lefties seem to hate him). The querulous voices seem to be howling to themselves in a locked room.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I find it all very strange that people cannot compromise with the party they prefer and would rather support the party they dislike.

I've been intending to vote for Labour since Corbyn was kicked out.

However, the policy announced about VAT on school fees which will cost me and my daughter £200 per month out of our household budget ( even though the Government already save on the cost of her education ), and the disgraceful active ruling out of joining the European Single Market have made Labour not the party for me anymore. I could on a mellow polling day overlook one of these, but not both.

I'm no real fan of the current and recent Tories either and will definitely vote against them as well.

So, to be true to myself more than anything - so I can have no regrets or conflicts with myself - I'll be voting Lib Dem. It so nearly would have been Labour, but for me they blew it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports