Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sir Alex gets very upset

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
If Ferguson thought that RVP could have been killed did he take him straight off the field for medical attention?

Did he Bollox........

Keanes tackle on Harrland? (spelling) comes to mind...... as does Cantona's wonderful attack on the palace scummer. Im sure Ferguson was manager for both actions....He who lives in a Glass house etc..

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
The player got a yellow for his poor conduct, and RVP one for taking matters into his own hands in response.
Blimey, man's game? The ball is virtually a balloon!
Ice hockey players get the full force of a moving player ramming them against the boards. Sir Alex would faint at the spectacle.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
When did the whistle actually get blown? If it's any time during the kicking action then IMO it can't be classed as deliberate, if it was significantly before (I've only seen a silent clip so don't know) then yes probably worthy of some punishment.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
When did the whistle actually get blown? If it's any time during the kicking action then IMO it can't be classed as deliberate, if it was significantly before (I've only seen a silent clip so don't know) then yes probably worthy of some punishment.

Surely you can kick a ball at someone deliberately, regardless of a whistle being blown.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sorry, are we talking about the same large leather sack of air that players routinely jump in front of deliberatly in order to head away/goal ward? just how do goalies survive each game? i assume Fergie has issued orders for no wall at free kicks as a health and safety precaution?

if Fergie thinks that was live threatening i think its time he retire as he's losing the plot and gone very soft.

Dusty_Fryer

May 12, 2009
Port Stanley
I would think the next logical step in the sanitisation of our game is for every player to be padded out to the max like the Michelin Man. No-one will get killed by the ball then.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The fact is he smacked a ball in RvP's head. He should have been booked. Fergie's reaction is predictable as ever but it shouldn't detract from what was a nasty incident.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Really? That's all it was?

He kicks it to clear it just as the whistle is going and doesn't even kick it that hard.

Some seriously soft bastards out there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The fact is he smacked a ball in RvP's head. He should have been booked. Fergie's reaction is predictable as ever but it shouldn't detract from what was a nasty incident.

no he doesnt and no it wasn't. he kicks a ball to clear it. RVP has gone down to ground like he's been shotr, only to jump up like lazurus, shoves Williams, has a pop at someother player before remembering to rub his head about 20 seconds later. a short while ago a player had a proper head-ball-foot incident and there was no "might have killed him" hyperbole.

honestly when i heard about it i imagined Persie on the floor, whistles gone and Williams takes a wack at ball in the direction of Persie. i couldnt believe the fuss once is saw the footage, Williams (no saint) is eyes on the ball and aiming for row Z. if it was remotly dangerous/painful Persie would have stayed on the deck, his reaction tells all.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Just seen MOTD2 and old purple face has definitely overreacted.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
God lord there are some seriously Man Utd rose-tinted specs on here aren't there? He was trying to clear the ball, plain and simple, and Fergie has just gone along with RVP's reaction in his interview - very bad form for somebody of his age and experience. I do actually think that Ferguson talks a lot of sense sometimes, but at other times you could make up a whole 'It'll be alright on the night' just from his quotes alone, and I'm afraid this is one of them.

Besides, Williams has just done to the Van Persie what most fans would absolutely love the opportunity to do, because let's face it, Van Persie is right up there with the worst of the odius little shits from the Premier League era.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
footballs are unbelievably light these days, the most it could have done is concuss him... break his neck? i know RVP is a brittle bloke but come on...

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
FFS, yes it was possibly deliberate, and therefore worth a yellow, but could have killed him?? I would reckon if that was the case we would have 20+ deaths worldwide in football per year, goalkeepers get worse every game. Seriously, if Fergie does not retract that statement, he needs to be brought up on charges. Stupid, yes possibly, life threatening ???

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Saying it's the worst thing he's seen in football?... I think Roy Keane deliberately trying to end poor Haaland's career was many times worse, get a grip Fergie you senile old blue faced fucker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here