Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed Wayne Rooney wants to leave Manchester United.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Sir Alex Ferguson: Wayne Rooney | UK News | Sky News

At a news conference at Old Trafford, the manager told reporters: "I had a meeting with him. He intimated to me in his own way that he wanted to leave.
"We are as bemused as anyone can be, we can't quite understand why he would want to leave."
Rooney's current contract expires in 2012 and there had been widespread speculation the star striker did not want to sign a new deal with the club.
Sir Alex denied having an argument with the 24-year-old footballer, but said he told Rooney to show "respect" for Manchester United.
"The one thing I said to him was: 'Respect this club, I don't want any nonsense from you'," Sir Alex said.
"I don't know if he has done that. I have doubts on that, we are reading all these things about falling out with me and all that nonsense.
"It's disappointing because we have done everything we possibly can to help Wayne Rooney ever since he came to the club."
The manager also said Rooney would not play in Wednesday night's Champions League match against Bursaspor because he has an ankle injury.
While the England star appeared to move freely at training on Tuesday, Sir Alex claimed Rooney was carried off on a stretcher after news cameras had left the session.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gonna have to go abroad if he wants a quick exit to a decent team, with two years left on his contract Utd won't let him go to a top 4 club.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The one thing I said to him was: 'Respect this club, I don't want any nonsense from you'," Sir Alex said.

Doesn't strike me as a method thats going to win him over, that. As we saw in the World Cup, Wayne certainly doesn't react very well to criticism.

Old Trafford is starting to crumble...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Doesn't strike me as a method thats going to win him over, that. As we saw in the World Cup, Wayne certainly doesn't react very well to criticism.

Old Trafford is starting to crumble...

He's a twat, I doubt anyone could talk sense into him

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i cant see him going abroad.....which means he'll go to City or Chelsea:ohmy:

Of course he will not go abroad. Just like Gerrard never will. Too happy to operate in the comfort zone and not really test themselves.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Berbatov as their main goal getter?

Move over Liverpool, there's room for another has-been club

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You're not being serious, are you.

Maybe yes....stranger things have happened.

A move from Everton to Man U was like moving abroad for Rooney so i really cant see the Madrid thing coming off...

He would go up greatly in my estimation if he went back to the club he supported took less cash and just played.

He coud buy the last year of his contract up at Man U for 5 million and go where he likes..

Unlikely I know, and Man City and Real Madrid are favorites but i dont think its beyond the realms of possibility.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think there are any obvious suitors in this country and he won't go abroad. The likes of City and Chelsea will baulk at his wage demands while he is so out of sorts.

My guess is that United are lumbered with an out of form player taking home a massive salary for two years, unless Rooney sorts his shìt out.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
On Talksport this morning and yesterday they were intimating that Citeh are willing to offer him £500K a week (yes I know it is absolutely absurd) but if true, or even for half that salary, would explain why he wants a move.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I don't think there are any obvious suitors in this country and he won't go abroad. The likes of City and Chelsea will baulk at his wage demands while he is so out of sorts.

My guess is that United are lumbered with an out of form player taking home a massive salary for two years, unless Rooney sorts his shìt out.

Are there any logical suitors abroad tho? Can we say hand on heart that Wayne will swap his chips for paella?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
[At a news conference at Old Trafford, the manager told reporters: "I had a meeting with him. He intimated to me in his own way that he wanted to leave."

AF "So Wayne, have you see all this paper talk about you leaving"
WR "Dunno"
AF "Well is it true"
WR "Dunno"
AF "Your mind seems elsewhere Wayne, do you want to talk about it"
WR "Dunno"
AF "Come on son show me some respect"
WR "f*** off"

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Man Utd are on the slide, The ""It's disappointing because we have done everything we possibly can to help Wayne Rooney ever since he came to the club." part sounds like when Spurs were selling off there best players to bigger clubs.

They are turning into a bit of a feeder club, From my point of view I hope he does go to City, it will upset a few players.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe yes....stranger things have happened.

A move from Everton to Man U was like moving abroad for Rooney so i really cant see the Madrid thing coming off...

He would go up greatly in my estimation if he went back to the club he supported took less cash and just played.

He coud buy the last year of his contract up at Man U for 5 million and go where he likes..

Unlikely I know, and Man City and Real Madrid are favorites but i dont think its beyond the realms of possibility.

He gets DOGS abuse from Everton fans now, and even in the HIGHLY unlikely event of him deciding on a paycut to go there, they are nowhere near challenging for honours and do not have the kind of investment there to make that likely in the forseeable. At best they'll have the odd foray into the Europa and perhaps the occasional cup run. Can you REALLY see Rooney, at 25 and in his prime, going to a club like that ? Complete non-starter.

As you and others have said, I don't think he'll fancy going abroad. The only viable moves are Chelsea or City, and out of those, City are the obvious ones (especially as Adebayor is showing signs of getting itchy again, just like he did at Arsenal).

IF City are interested, then it looks like a done deal to me.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He gets DOGS abuse from Everton fans now, and even in the HIGHLY unlikely event of him deciding on a paycut to go there, they are nowhere near challenging for honours and do not have the kind of investment there to make that likely in the forseeable. At best they'll have the odd foray into the Europa and perhaps the occasional cup run. Can you REALLY see Rooney, at 25 and in his prime, going to a club like that ? Complete non-starter.

As you and others have said, I don't think he'll fancy going abroad. The only viable moves are Chelsea or City, and out of those, City are the obvious ones (especially as Adebayor is showing signs of getting itchy again, just like he did at Arsenal).

IF City are interested, then it looks like a done deal to me.

Agreed your scenario is far more likely, if Rooney came out and said he wanted to go back to Everton, they would welcome him back with open arms..

Maybe Rooney just wants to play football for the team he loves...

For example if Brighton were an established prem league side like Everton and i could play for them for £80k a week...or play for Man City for 400k a week...I would choose Brighton everytime....

Rooney is a fan " Once a blue always a blue ".....maybe just maybe...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports