Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

single malt whiskey

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Was gifted a bottle of Laphroaig and am very impressed by the peatiness, my main tipple prior to that had always been Glenfiddich.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Ardbeg is my favourite, but I wouldn't describe it as 'entry level' (see above) it's 45 quid a bottle!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
My brother in law 'collects' single malts.
His preference is Islay. I think it's difficult to give a preference. He has treated me to various tastings of his collection. Such a difference between them. He recently bought a 25 yr old Bunnahabhain. £225!!!!
Go to the the Whisky Shop in East St.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My brother in law 'collects' single malts.
His preference is Islay. I think it's difficult to give a preference. He has treated me to various tastings of his collection. Such a difference between them. He recently bought a 25 yr old Bunnahabhain. £225!!!!
Go to the the Whisky Shop in East St.

I really don't get 'collectors'. They'll spend a fortune on a bottle of something wonderful, then never open it/drink it. I've spent a reasonable amount on whiskey in the past, but I always drink it. The best ever was a bottle of single cask 40 yo Springbank I bought for my 40th, blumming lovely, just didn't last long enough.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
the old man wants a nice bottle for his birthday so i thought i would ask the font of all knowledge that is nsc for some recommendations. i hate the stuff personally so havent got a clue. any ideas?

Islay malts are too peaty and dry, I would recommend the very smooth lowland varieties like Auchentoshen or Glinkinchie. For a special occasion bottle, I always have a Middleton Rare Irish blend in the house, simply the best whiskey/whisky I have ever tasted..... bar none.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surprised how many are suggesting a particular whisky. It really does depend on:

- personal preference
- when you're going to drink it
- what you're going to drink it with.

Best to start with a flavour map and go from there:
A-Guide-to-Flavours.png

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I really don't get 'collectors'. They'll spend a fortune on a bottle of something wonderful, then never open it/drink it. I've spent a reasonable amount on whiskey in the past, but I always drink it. The best ever was a bottle of single cask 40 yo Springbank I bought for my 40th, blumming lovely, just didn't last long enough.

Don't get me wrong. Believe me, he drinks it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here