Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Single appearance Albion (first team) 'careers' that you've witnessed.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
An old Forest boy like me then. I was a year above him both in Tylor. He was very good at football and running. Unfortunately he had a bad injury hence only one appearance for Brighton.
Yes indeed, the good old "Forest College of Knowledge" - I had Dicky Loughran as my tutor in Shelley house.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Jurgen Sommer - kept a clean sheet away at Cambridge in his only appearance
Was outstanding that day , Cambridge were at the time top of Division 2 ( now know as the Championship ) with Steve Claridge and Dion Dublin up front playing a long ball game with endless punts into the penalty area . Think he was on loan from Luton .

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Damien Hilton gave me hope that I could make it as a professional footballer

Edit : Jesus, he played 5 times
Currently manager of Long Stratton FC...seems to have made 1 sub appearance this season

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On wikipedia there is a photo of him in Albion kit playing a game against Spurs. Did we have a friendly against them at some point? I'm guessing he played in that.
He's wearing the centenary shirt, so that'll be the first ever game at the Amex.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/galleries/1272301/when-albion-met-spurs-to-open-the-amex

As I couldn't make the Doncaster game, I'm always going to treat this friendly 3-2 loss to Spurs as our OFFICIAL FIRST EVER GAME AT THE AMEX.

Line ups;

ALBION : Ankergren (Brezovan 45);
Calderon (Vincelot, 76),
Greer,
Dunk,
Painter;
Bridcutt;
Sparrow (Buckley, 75),
Dicker, Lua-Lua (Bergkamp, 90);
Barnes (Noone, 64),
Mackail-Smith.

Subs not used: Cook, Navarro.

(A very Harry Redknapp looking-) Tottenham Hotspur:
Friedel;
Corluka,
Kaboul,
Dawson,
Assou-Ekotto;
Lennon,
Jenas,
Livermore,
Bale;
Van der Vaart (Defoe, 38);
Pavlyuchenko.

Subs not used: Gomes (GK), Carroll, Townsend, Kane.

1710845887820.png

Absolutely lovely kit, that was. RED numbers on the back and no square as well!

1710845923854.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was going to offer up Gavin Geddes (also the only Albion player I've both worked with and played against) but Wiki says he played TWELVE times for us :wozza:

He might have been very good for Adur Athletic but that's eleven too many.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Absolutely lovely kit, that was. RED numbers on the back and no square as well!
It was a really fantastic kit. I'm not sure its the centenary shirt though. Didn't we have the centenary shirt at Withdean when Zamora was first with us? It had skint on the front and the Brighton and Hove crests instead of the badge.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
On wikipedia there is a photo of him in Albion kit playing a game against Spurs. Did we have a friendly against them at some point? I'm guessing he played in that.
That photo is from the friendly against Spurs that was the official opening of the Amex. Must have been quick to take it as he was only on for the last min or so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It was a really fantastic kit. I'm not sure its the centenary shirt though. Didn't we have the centenary shirt at Withdean when Zamora was first with us? It had skint on the front and the Brighton and Hove crests instead of the badge.
Yes. 2001 (I would have thought obviously!).

I still have the long sleeved version somewhere.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was going to offer up Gavin Geddes (also the only Albion player I've both worked with and played against) but Wiki says he played TWELVE times for us :wozza:

He might have been very good for Adur Athletic but that's eleven too many.
GG was one of our loose gang that met up for kick-abouts in the holidays and that. We'd generally start in one of the Blatch Mill hockey goals, then move to Neville Rec when the caretaker kicked us off.

Its very much his fault for being far too good for me, but my studs once left a lump the size of an EGG on his shin - at a time when he was well into the Albion system and very much not supposed to be playing ad-hoc games with the feral kids of Hangleton.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
GG was one of our loose gang that met up for kick-abouts in the holidays and that. We'd generally start in one of the Blatch Mill hockey goals, then move to Neville Rec when the caretaker kicked us off.

Its very much his fault for being far too good for me, but my studs once left a lump the size of an EGG on his shin - at a time when he was well into the Albion system and very much not supposed to be playing ad-hoc games with the feral kids of Hangleton.
In much later life than that we had a four a side team at Westows. One week we were short a player and one of the lads brought along a young boy whose Dad he knew. The kid was absolutely brilliant. MUCH better than any other player I'd ever seen there. And naturally we won. It turned out he was also an Albion trainee who shouldn't have been within a mile of the pitch at Westows. He never played for us again, obviously, and I've spent more time than I probably should have worrying about if they ever found out. I guess they might now, except a) it was about 14 years ago and b) I can't remember his name.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
In much later life than that we had a four a side team at Westows. One week we were short a player and one of the lads brought along a young boy whose Dad he knew. The kid was absolutely brilliant. MUCH better than any other player I'd ever seen there. And naturally we won. It turned out he was also an Albion trainee who shouldn't have been within a mile of the pitch at Westows. He never played for us again, obviously, and I've spent more time than I probably should have worrying about if they ever found out. I guess they might now, except a) it was about 14 years ago and b) I can't remember his name.

Westows was absolutely brutal sometimes. I'm sure they'd have been delighted to have him kicked up in the air for half an hour!

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Solely on (long ago) memory, around '72 or '73, we played a mid-season friendly at The Goldstone (against Luton?) My Dad (who AFAIK had never been to watch The Albion before or since) took me and my brother (same as regard Albion attendances) to watch - the only time I sat in the West Stand. Can't remember the score, or much about the game, but I think I can remember a youngster called Mickey Conway playing for us, who looked quite good to me.
Not sure if he ever played for us again (waits for my usual correction form AZGull!)
Seemingly he did manage one game after that and according to John Vinicombe he scored as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You're right. I've grasped for a random word there and got the wrong one.

COMMEMORATIVE - let's go with that. To commemorate the opening of the Amex.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
You're right. I've grasped for a random word there and got the wrong one.

COMMEMORATIVE - let's go with that. To commemorate the opening of the Amex.
Yeah that makes sense. Its still a fantastic kit.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Genuinely the most rough and violent football league I've ever played in, would be a fight every week at some point, box office stuff.
It was cage football and was played as such. Even I lost my head and cleaned someone out when he was running past me for the hundredth time in about 5 minutes. Something about that environment superceded logic and intellect!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here