Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sing along Sussex By The Sea

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Would they?

Derby, in the play offs last season, had the words on the big screen for their song, and virtually the whole stadium joined in - it sounded incredible. At no point did I think to myself "how tinpot - they've got the words up on the big screen".

Exactly
I never thought it was tinpot at all,all i was thinking was Ballocks they have kicked off a good atmosphere here,(and it was a spectacular effort from their fans all game),their 12th man has definitely turned up.

If anything todays balls up on the PA highlighted people prefer to belt out the words themselves as opposed to clapping and singing quietly whilst the PA music drowns everyone out.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
In the lower west I thought it sounded great.

There's much comment regarding what words should be sung. Words on the screen, words not not screen etc. etc. But no one has actually said what they think should be sung!

Below is the first verse and the chorus.

Not to too sure about our 'hearts being gay', perhaps "now is the time to play" would be better and I can't see many dropping 'we're going up to win the cup', but does it really matter if some sing that and others sing the original. Lastly can anyone suggest it could be slowed down, no drum please.

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring , my boys
And take your time from me
And I'll sing you a song as we march along Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the Sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow, And useful men are we:
And when you come to Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You can tell them all that we'll stand or fall For Sussex by the Sea.
Oh Sussex, Sussex by the Sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You can tell them all that we'll stand or fall For Sussex by the Sea

Is this is wrong, what do you think? If it's right we should all be learning it?

:clap2::clap2:

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This. I adore the 'Stand or Fall' line.

It's a bit awkward if you're singing this version and everyone around you is singing about going up and winning a cup. We need to sort out what we're supposed to be singing. Although having lyrics up is a bit naff, it could at least establish the "official" version of what we should be singing.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It's a bit awkward if you're singing this version and everyone around you is singing about going up and winning a cup. We need to sort out what we're supposed to be singing. Although having lyrics up is a bit naff, it could at least establish the "official" version of what we should be singing.

I usually end up singing "You may tell them all that...we'll win the cup".

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Nooooo! How embarrassing if we had to have the words on a big screen to our own song. The away fans would have a field day.

Put it only on the screen above the south stand, then they wouldn't see it, but the rest of us could.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Ridiculous! ???

Yes, it is ridiculous that we have to resort to that but unfortunately the vast majority of fans have a complete and utter inability to be able to sing the song at the right speed. Once people can understand it then the stabilisers can come off.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
My view is traditional before the match and then Albionised version when sung during the match. We have never really got behind the post half-time rendition which wasn't played at the Goldstone.

So sing my boys and take your time from me!

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
In the lower west I thought it sounded great.

Not to too sure about our 'hearts being gay'

I think it is possible that in a strange way because of a change in language, this line has a new relevance and demonstrates our inclusivity and lack of tolerance of bigotry. After all, We wunt be Druv

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Yes, it is ridiculous that we have to resort to that but unfortunately the vast majority of fans have a complete and utter inability to be able to sing the song at the right speed. Once people can understand it then the stabilisers can come off.

Alternatively, people could learn them before they get to the game. It's not hard; in fact, it's very easy.

Frankly, there is no excuse for people not knowing the words, and to have them spoon-fed to them by having words on the screen with a karaoke-style bouncing ball is a pretty awful admission of failure on the part of all parties.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Alternatively, people could learn them before they get to the game. It's not hard; in fact, it's very easy.

Frankly, there is no excuse for people not knowing the words, and to have them spoon-fed to them by having words on the screen with a karaoke-style bouncing ball is a pretty awful admission of failure on the part of all parties.

As I say, it is as much trying to get people to keep in time as learning the words. Also need to remember that we have accumulated a lot of new fans over the last few years and not everyone will know the words, nor will they necessarily read NSC so sad as it may be I really do not see an issue with having the words up for a season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Would they?

Derby, in the play offs last season, had the words on the big screen for their song, and virtually the whole stadium joined in - it sounded incredible. At no point did I think to myself "how tinpot - they've got the words up on the big screen".

Most of their fans knew the words anyway, just like many of us. It was interesting to see what they were singing, and I'm sure the same would be true for away supporters at the AMEX. It should be done in my opinion.

Agree you could have the little bouncy ball thingy they have on karaoke to keep the crowd on time for when the music cuts back in. I thought it was fantastic yesterday to hear the whole crowd sing (and I am sure that as a direct result I actually heard the east stand singing later in the game!)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Agree you could have the little bouncy ball thingy they have on karaoke to keep the crowd on time for when the music cuts back in. I thought it was fantastic yesterday to hear the whole crowd sing (and I am sure that as a direct result I actually heard the east stand singing later in the game!)

Should be done for one game only to see if this works and then gauge the reaction from fans, what's to lose?

Same should apply to , dare I say it a 'drum'. If done right can add to the atmosphere and would certainly help slow the speed freaks down a tad.

Just get the place rocking not matter what it takes.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Nooooo! How embarrassing if we had to have the words on a big screen to our own song. The away fans would have a field day.

I have been going out the Albion for 35 years and I don't know the words!

My memory is shot to pieces since I turned 40, it's just full of work codes. I need the words and the bouncy ball.

Yesterday my voice wobbled with emotion (Even though I was probably singing the wrong words.) when the music stopped, as it was the best ever singing of GOSBTS I have heard. Well done WSU!

I think the Away fans would be in awe of all 25000 of us singing at the same time with the same words to mock us about a bouncy ball.... that could just be behind them anyhow.

I was very impressed with the forest fans when their walk out music cut out at the City Ground.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
Taking all comments into account, it seems to me that the problem is likely to be convincing whoever is responsible to organise having the words up, inc the ball and cutting the music at the right times.

I say this because those tasked with organising the sound and vision appear to have difficulty showing the replays, spelling names and putting up the cards and goals. So don't hold your breath.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I emailed Paul Barber and within 5 minutes received this reply:

Dear Bob!

Thanks for your email.

There was indeed a technical issue with the SBTS soundtrack. And, yes, it was great to hear our supporters fill the resulting void so admirably.

I've already remarked to Paul Camillin, our head of communications, that we should cut the soundtrack more often!

Having the words on the big screens has been discussed a few times previously - and it does tend to divide opinion a bit like Marmite...

Nevertheless, it's certainly something we will debate again internally and will take a view on for our future home matches.

Thanks again for writing.

Regards, Paul

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Could trial a few different 'stop' places after a fair run at it & pick the one that goes the best.
First time I've noticed the away looking in awe at the combined effort

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Keep it simple. They should cut it just for the "Oh we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the sea" line...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here