Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Simone Biles

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Strange comparisons.
I was watching the gymnastics, live on television, when Biles stood down. She had already attempted one apparatus, so it was very well known

Where am I supposed to have heard about the boss of Lloyds bank or Norway’s prime minister?

All people suffering with mental health problems should receive help, so why question what people know or even raise the description of a young black female athlete, as if that should make any difference?

Perhaps my point wasn't clear, my fault if not - everyone should get help. I absolutely agree. My point was that those who criticise people who are honest about their vulnerability, like Piers Morgan does, are generally silent about the very high profile at the time incidents involving white men being vulnerable about their mental health.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
This is a really good thread on Twitter from a gymnast and driver which explains in much more detail what is likely to have happened to Simone Biles. In essence it's similar to the yips for a golfer except the stakes are much higher.

https://twitter.com/WittyNameChoice/status/1420225657938710533?s=19

I wonder whether it being explained as a "mental health" issue perhaps causes more problems than it solves?

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Ms Starmer :lolol::lolol:

Yes, I was well thought of, before I retired, for my attention to detail, so I’ll take that as a compliment, comparing me to the best QC in the CPS.

Of course, some people might say you were name calling, but I couldn’t possibly say that!

Make no mistake TB, it is a compliment, in fact you are streets ahead of him. :bowdown:

Arise Dame Thunder bolt.

D

Deleted member 2719

Then you should stay off NSC until you feel better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or conversly you could just ban him for slandering me as a rascist, every other post.

Surely that is the job of a moderator.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In some ways life has got a lot simpler

morgan with rabid, mouth frothing opinion = I'm in favour/sympathetic/receptive of the opposite opinion.

Apply that to farage, Johnson, GB News et al and life becomes a lot quicker to digest.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Or conversly you could just ban him for slandering me as a rascist, every other post.

Says someone who is happy to dish out crap but can’t take it when it comes back.
Your only support on this thread is from our resident racist which speaks volumes does it not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

No my job as a mod is to call it as I see it. In you I see someone who makes “controversial” posts based on no evidence about famous people who are either black or socially liberal, or who thinks so little about his posts that he’ll call for a group of Jews to be branded. Then, when you’re called out you play the victim.

If this upsets you I genuinely suggest you take your business elsewhere. If not, don’t be surprised to see this pattern repeat itself.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Strong words (in support of Biles, obvs) from Alex Scott on the highlights programme just now………

Forgive me for taking this slightly off topic but that's about the most composed and assured she has been on the highlights programme so far. She is so wooden and awkward, looks like a fish out of water with this Olympics coverage and has seemingly no clue about most of the sports. Compare her to Clare Balding who just makes it look so easy as though she is having a friendly chat with you in your living room about the Olympics, an absolute class act.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh yeah, the other thing the mods do is spot genuine second accounts, eh Crodo?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just been listening to Beth Tweddle (partly) explain what happened to Biles……..essentially a mental block that happens mid move and quite well known thing in gymnastics apparently - called it ‘the twisties’. Actually sounds as scary as **** - potentially several feet off the ground, mid spin, and literally no idea what to do at that point. At the speed, height and complexity of move Biles has developed (a lot of her stuff is in uncharted territory) such a thing must be terrifying. Once it happens, it is likely to keep happening - only solved by something like an extended period practicing on a crash mat (soft landing).

Made me think maybe it’s something a little bit like Stuart Broad suffered - his test batting was getting better and better, but has been woeful ever since he got hit in the face and he now looks clueless.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just been listening to Beth Tweddle (partly) explain what happened to Biles……..essentially a mental block that happens mid move and quite well known thing in gymnastics apparently - called it ‘the twisties’. Actually sounds as scary as **** - potentially several feet off the ground, mid spin, and literally no idea what to do at that point. At the speed, height and complexity of move Biles has developed (a lot of her stuff is in uncharted territory) such a thing must be terrifying. Once it happens, it is likely to keep happening - only solved by something like an extended period practicing on a crash mat (soft landing).

Made me think maybe it’s something a little bit like Stuart Broad suffered - his test batting was getting better and better, but has been woeful ever since he got hit in the face and he now looks clueless.

Yeah the exact same thing was said on a podcast I listen to by Washington Post journo Barry Svrluga, who's currently in Tokyo.
Due to the nature of the show, all they cared about was how much saliva Barry had to produce and nothing about the sport he was covering! :lol:

Quite what the fudge Morgan et al are on about is (sadly isn't) absolutely moronic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yeah the exact same thing was said on a podcast I listen to by Washington Post journo Barry Svrluga, who's currently in Tokyo.
Due to the nature of the show, all they cared about was how much saliva Barry had to produce and nothing about the sport he was covering! :lol:

Quite what the fudge Morgan et al are on about is (sadly isn't) absolutely moronic.

I can find myself in the kitchen forgetting what I am supposed to be doing next….that’s scary enough. Forgetting what’s next when you’re spinning upside down 10ft in the air, disoriented from the two somersaults you’ve already done must be terrifying.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can find myself in the kitchen forgetting what I am supposed to be doing next….that’s scary enough. Forgetting what’s next when you’re spinning upside down 10ft in the air, disoriented from the two somersaults you’ve already done must be terrifying.

Morgan could stick the landing though.

Svrluga was saying the extra year has really got into Biles' head.

He said she was all set for 2020 then done.
That was her game plan all along.

Then she had to almost force herself into the extra year, through her 24th birthday :ohmy: onto Tokyo and by the time she was there The Yips had well and truly taken over.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Just to raise the mood a bit, here's Piers Morgan facing an over of Brett Lee:

Perhaps he'd like to demonstrate for the class how to execute a perfect Yurchenko

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So now that white male Ben Stokes has just decided to take time off cricket for mental health reasons, I have no doubt whatsoever that Piers Morgan has already massively piled in on him.

No? Oh, that’s weird.

I wonder why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here