Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Simon Jordan

D

Deleted member 22389

I feel a bit dirty even starting this thread. I’ve had a courtesy car this week and the radio in there has been absolutely shite, with Talksport being one of the few stations that I could actually get with any clarity. I had no idea SJ was a regular on the station, but I have to say I’ve been really enjoying his contributions. He’s actually really articulate, not afraid to call out someone who is talking bollocks and brings a lot of knowledge to proceedings as a previous club owner. Unlike the vast majority of football pundits and analysts, he seems to be able to bring a bit of nuance to proceedings. In no way am I going to become a TS devotee after this, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by SJ’s views.

If I'm honest, he's the only one worth listening to on there.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
He does seem to balance being slightly controversial without coming across as a bellend like Adrian Durham

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
His view as a former club owner, steeped in the harsh realities of ultimate failure, is a great counterbalance to the clichéd views of clever Trevor Sinclair.Trev will blasé spend 30 Million quid of someone else's money to bring in a striker that doesn't exist to raise a team up the table by an imaginary 3 or 4 places and it is always a good listen when he calls bollox on a former player talking shite.

I equally like that he doesn't go after soft targets. Where everyone else - especially white middle aged blokes - are frightened to question the narrative as it could cost them a career on the radio around racism, he is prepared to ask the likes of Townsend tough questions when he trots out clichés like "we want change" to ask exactly what he wants to change, how long it will reasonably take and any ideas on how this will be achieved? We'd be better served if more of the debate was around the practicality of change.

Seems like a different world where I didn't like him as chairman of Palace. I can hate individual states, Fat American businessmen, hedge fund owners or even people that don't exist rather than a floppy haired phone salesman.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wouldn't call constantly shoehorning a bunch of unnecessary & incorrect 'big' words into every sentence eloquent.
I'd call it desperate. He's weird & needy

Do agree with this - but otherwise I think he is pretty decent and talks a bit of sense

How many times has he said ‘machinations’ this week?

Not as much as he says hyperbole....

Although felt like he gave that Erik Alonso a very easy ride in terms of interview about the Derby takeover when it turns out he was just some chancer

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Great he's got a job on Talksport. This means I will never accidentally start listening to him. If they could take Guy Garvey off 6music that would be helpful too

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
He’s alright but Jim White is awful.

Good summary. Jordan does ramble on a bit but has interesting points to make and does not have the big club bias of all the other TS presenters. Exactly what does Jim White bring though ? He is a caricature of himself and I am not sure why he is even in the radio. No interesting opinions, just constant self promotion.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Good summary. Jordan does ramble on a bit but has interesting points to make and does not have the big club bias of all the other TS presenters. Exactly what does Jim White bring though ? He is a caricature of himself and I am not sure why he is even in the radio. No interesting opinions, just constant self promotion.

He's "Good Friends" with everyone. Made a career out of a yellow tie and trying to be everyone's mate.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd probably listen to him more if there was some way of muting Jim Shite. The yellow-tie-botherer with his incessant "yeah"s during Jordan's answers are one thing, never mind him claiming that press releases or industry-wide breaking news is translated as 'I'm hearing that..." or "I've just got off the phone to X and they've told me that..."

He so often tries to be edgy and controversial (like Goldstein/Cundy or Durham), but ends up just sounding like a fool on the wrong side of the argument EVERY SINGLE TIME!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'd probably listen to him more if there was some way of muting Jim Shite. The yellow-tie-botherer with his incessant "yeah"s during Jordan's answers are one thing, never mind him claiming that press releases or industry-wide breaking news is translated as 'I'm hearing that..." or "I've just got off the phone to X and they've told me that..."

He so often tries to be edgy and controversial (like Goldstein/Cundy or Durham), but ends up just sounding like a fool on the wrong side of the argument EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Agree with all that, but isn’t JW just playing the stooge in TS’s deliberately manufactured debates?, and boy doesn’t he suck up to “invincibles” Keown!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I'm not an Albion fan so I'm naturally less offended by his Palace connections, but I do think he is by far one of the better pundits out there. A little too grandiloquent at times for your average Talksport listener, but more often than not he's spot on with his views.

Others have mentioned his book, and I have to say it's one of the very best football-related autobiographies I have read. It's definitely worth a read, and if your Brighton loyalties are getting in the way of you doing that at least take solace in the fact that it ends in absolute catastrophe for the bloke.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Agree with all that, but isn’t JW just playing the stooge in TS’s deliberately manufactured debates?, and boy doesn’t he suck up to “invincibles” Keown!

That's certainly the case a lot of the time, but even when SJ is not there, Shite is still annoying, the times I listen. Full of his own self-importance, I guess is how I'd sum it up.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I’ve got about half way through this interview so far he is ok and I agreed with most of his points

I've never got as far as listening to him, just one look at his smug face is more than enough to put me off. More up himself than Eddie "look at me" Howe.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm not an Albion fan so I'm naturally less offended by his Palace connections, but I do think he is by far one of the better pundits out there. A little too grandiloquent at times for your average Talksport listener, but more often than not he's spot on with his views.

Others have mentioned his book, and I have to say it's one of the very best football-related autobiographies I have read. It's definitely worth a read, and if your Brighton loyalties are getting in the way of you doing that at least take solace in the fact that it ends in absolute catastrophe for the bloke.

Well there's no point in reading it, now you've spoilt the ending :facepalm
:

Thank you :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here