Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simon Cox released by Reading

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps Jiri Skalak can direct their attention to a striker in his homeland although one would think that if we watched him we would have also seen any available strikers. and the same with Knockhaert.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I know he used to play keyboards in D:REAM, but I wasn't aware he'd ever played football.

:shrug:

theroyal

May 11, 2014
How is that young defender getting on? Not the one that went to Chelsea and loaned back but you had an 18 yr old that broke through at the end of last season if I recall?

Might be C something?

A few of the lads up here that I know were raving about him but I only ever seemed to catch his bad matches

Jake Cooper - older than you think, 21. Has been a regular this season due to Ferdinand being mostly injured and Hector alternating between being shit and played as a DM. Generally very promising but he's made a few costly mistakes towards the end of the season due to inexperience. I'm not sure he was quite ready for a full season of Championship football, needed a few months in League One first. With the right guidance he'll be a decent Premier League defender. I think Bournemouth were after him, but I don't think he's ready for it just yet.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Jake Cooper - older than you think, 21. Has been a regular this season due to Ferdinand being mostly injured and Hector alternating between being shit and played as a DM. Generally very promising but he's made a few costly mistakes towards the end of the season due to inexperience. I'm not sure he was quite ready for a full season of Championship football, needed a few months in League One first. With the right guidance he'll be a decent Premier League defender. I think Bournemouth were after him, but I don't think he's ready for it just yet.

Wasn't it Hector that was signed by Chelsea and loaned back?

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
The difference between someone of his quality and what we've had, even at this level, is significant. He is stronger than you'd think, quicker than you think and is an unquestionably good finisher. What a signing he would be, and like Kayal, he would be cheaper than he should be. He's struggled at Reading but don't let that put anyone off, the man is Championship quality and in a team as strong as ours he would be goalbothering every game.

Are you actually joking? He would be just yet another bang average striker of which we've had too many now. We need quality

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Mate, I'd rather re-sign Billy Paynter. I agree with the likes of Nakhi Wells, how about someone like Kemar Roofe at Oxford?

Simon Cox was so good that he made Paynter look like a player, and he hasn't been since then. But do you know what else that team had? The best right winger in the league, Jon-Paul McGovern, who was getting assists all over the place. That Swindon team was so ordinary but they made a play-off final with Greer at centre back and Cox and Paynter together up front with service from the wings. Again, the masses won't know this, but Anthony McNamee is a fantastic crosser of a ball as well - their supply line was excellent.

Assuming we lose Knockaert but keep Skalak, we'll have the best right winger in the league delivering cross after cross after cross for Hemed and partner to attack.

We'll probably never get to see one way or the other, but I am very confident Cox would score goals in this team. I'm sure Nahki Wells would as well, as would Gary Hooper, even Alex Revell would have scored more than 3! Obviously we'd all like us to spend a packet on several players but we're not going to buy our way out of the league, we need to find a bargain.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I tell you what, you guys have mugged a couple of teams off over the last season or so, haven't you?

I've seen Hector play, what, three times now, and he's looked awful on each occasion. Can't believe Chelsea picked him up. Did Reading get a decent fee for him?

Still not as good as persuading Derby to fork out several million pounds for Nick Blackman though, that was absolute genius. He had, what, four good months in his entire RFC career? Looks to have a massive attitude problem to me, and I think is still goalless for Derby after five months there? Played, Royals!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
7 years later and this clown is still banging on about Simon Cox because he nearly got wanked off by a bird from Swindon.

Ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

One of the funniest things I've read on here for a while. :bowdown:

[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The difference between someone of his quality and what we've had, even at this level, is significant. He is stronger than you'd think, quicker than you think and is an unquestionably good finisher. What a signing he would be, and like Kayal, he would be cheaper than he should be. He's struggled at Reading but don't let that put anyone off, the man is Championship quality and in a team as strong as ours he would be goalbothering every game.

Why are we looking for someone that has been released by a club that play at a lower standard than we do?

We should either be looking to sign someone who has proven themselves like Burnley did with Andre Gray or find some young up and coming talent from somewhere, not reading's cast-offs!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

Good to hear he is doing alright - 21 wow I was a fair bit out! I saw a few Reading games early on in the season and he looked OK but like you say made a few mistakes. Dunky was the same I guess and still trying to fully get them out of his game. Hopefully he will be good for your guys. I was really surprised how your season went as expected big things. I was at the 3-0 v Walsall and the 1-0 against Bristol City and couldn't believe how poor some of the football was at times.

Bournemouth would probably be decent for him if he were to move on, they have turned Elphick and Cook into cracking defenders

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
7 years later and this clown is still banging on about Simon Cox because he nearly got wanked off by a bird from Swindon.

Ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Who nearly got wanked off by a bird from Swindon - theroyal or Simon Cox?? I'm confused???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Reading clearing the decks to splash the cash on O'Grady ???

:jester:

theroyal

May 11, 2014
I tell you what, you guys have mugged a couple of teams off over the last season or so, haven't you?

I've seen Hector play, what, three times now, and he's looked awful on each occasion. Can't believe Chelsea picked him up. Did Reading get a decent fee for him?

Still not as good as persuading Derby to fork out several million pounds for Nick Blackman though, that was absolute genius. He had, what, four good months in his entire RFC career? Looks to have a massive attitude problem to me, and I think is still goalless for Derby after five months there? Played, Royals!

That's Nick Hammond for you, who has recently left for West Brom. I think Neil Warnock commented once that he was able to get blood out of a stone.

Selling Blackman for millions after 6 weeks of good form during his 4 years here was up there. I think my favourite was buying Greg Halford for £2m, finding out he had certain "issues" (you can research them) and selling him for a profit 6 months later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here