Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Signing a striker from the lower leagues

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Gus Poyet has said that Connor Wickham will be shown the door if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Could be a brialliant signing IMO

He is waiting for a Prem club to be interested, as a result of his end of season goalfest I would imagine.
He will sign for Sunderland on deadline day, I expect.
Dropping a division would be out of the question.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Eoin Doyle. Chesterfield goal machine. Wouldn't cost a fortune, 26 years old.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
rather than keep searching for a marquee striker for about 2million to 4 million, or a free transfer, or a budget foreign striker that doesnt know the english game, would it be sensible to take a punt on a proven striker from league 1 or league 2 ?
im thinking someone of the 6ft plus mould, big hold up type who can do the nitty gritty and can stand getting bashed about a bit, and get 20 goals a season, Tom Pope comes to mind ?
Not Tom Pope, no thanks. Barnsley had a decent 6ft. 1 striker who knocked a few in last season - can't remember his name, but what about taking a punt on him?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Not Tom Pope, no thanks. Barnsley had a decent 6ft. 1 striker who knocked a few in last season - can't remember his name, but what about taking a punt on him?

Barnsley had a quality player on the books too called mc court. I've heard he doesn't get much of a look in nowadays at his new club.......seems like a waste of talent.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I did think we were interested in the guy from Yeovil, big lanky kid who was knocking them in for fun last season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here