Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sign HERE if you saw the Albion leave the top flight.....

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Yes I was there in 83 !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To be fair nobody noticed we were going down. It was a week today, all the chat was about.

That's because we were relegated the previous Saturday when we lost 1-0 to Manchester City, Dennis Tueart scored the winner in front of the North Stand.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
:thumbup::thumbup:

But it was the Man City game the week before....I believe they were down to ten and still beat us.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was there, in the Norwich seats mind on the half way line c/o corporate seats. My auntie knew a Norwich director so we got the entire cup teams autographs on a programme addressed to my brother and I! Still got in the loft. The cover of the programme had remi Moses and a Norwich player, possibly Kevin reeves? Still got it somewhere in parents loft.

Hardly any fans in the away terrace, think everyone was waiting for the final a week later. But I remember it was a sunny afternoon, think we lost 2-1. And I remember Brighton fans burning a canaries scarf from the fence behind the goal in what is now the Barclays stand but was then a low roofed terrace just to the right of where away fans are placed these days.

Lots of chants of seaweed seaweed as my brother and I walked up in blue and white scares. Clear memories of that day, don't know why! Possibly because our first away game.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Yep was there, finished off a poor away season in the league as only one away league win all season. The greater fun was in the Notts County game a few weeks earlier with Fozzie trying to get sent off after picking up a booking so didn't miss the cup final, dispite blanatant handballs and virtually everything else, the ref wasn't going to join in.

Hopefully this time round we can stay longer than 4 seasons

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I was at the city game the week before but being 8 didn't really appreciate it just remember the Albion fans singing Luton Town to the city fans

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was at the city game the week before but being 8 didn't really appreciate it just remember the Albion fans singing Luton Town to the city fans

Really?

City lost at home to Luton the following week so don't see how that could have been the case.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Really?

City lost at home to Luton the following week so don't see how that could have been the case.

Maybe it was to show support for Luton in the then forthcoming fixture. After all, Brian Horton was playing for Luton at the time and that may have meant a lot of Albion fans may have preferred the Hatters to stay up.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
I saw the last few Div.1 games at the Goldstone, so was prob at the Man City game. Remember the 2-2 with Liverpool...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was there, in the Norwich seats mind on the half way line c/o corporate seats. My auntie knew a Norwich director so we got the entire cup teams autographs on a programme addressed to my brother and I! Still got in the loft. The cover of the programme had remi Moses and a Norwich player, possibly Kevin reeves? Still got it somewhere in parents loft.

Reeves left for Citeh in 1980 so it wouldn't have been him.

Don't remember the Norwich game but I do remember the defeat to MC the week before - my first live relegation experience (I was working the day we went down in 1973). As HB&B says, we were only thinking of our trip to Wembley by then, we'd been resigned to relegation for some months

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I thought we would win the cup and the money from our Cup Winners Cup campaign would finance our speedy return to the top flight. What I hadn't banked on was the fact that Jimmy Melia was no more a football manager than Ron Pavey, the senior players virtually oversaw the cup run and by the time the following August came the club was already in decline. I still believe that if Chris Cattlin had been given the funds between 84-86 we might have returned earlier, although I doubt we would have stayed.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I was there - unfortunately

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here's the match report from the Eastern Football News:

norwichreport.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here