Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sidwell released

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
How about the fact we have just signed one since the released list was named.

How about the fact that is has been less than 2 weeks since that point? Christ, have some patience.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
It won't happen overnight, but with FFP coming in, players whose contracts are ended - especially those that have been relegated - may well start to find that the next contract isn't quite as lucrative as the last one. Whether that will ever mean players coming down to accept our wage levels, I don't know - but hopefully it will eventually.

Many of the better players released will not automatically walk into another club on the same wages. The advantage is with clubs looking for replacements.

What would you do if offered 50% of your previous wages and no other offers forthcoming ? Reject it or go on the Dole. With a family to support, I know what option I would take. The player only has the option to negotiate if two or more clubs show an interest, and even then he does not totally hold the ace card

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How is that related to getting a different, significantly more expensive, player in?

You just give your existing player a bit of a pay rise. Obviously. Just to make them feel a bit appreciated if nothing else. Most players, like most people in any job, would really rather not uproot their family to the other end of the country, or maybe another country, unless there is some utterly compelling economic reason to do so. Your cheapest option is usually going to be to retain your existing players. Tho agents are always going to be hustling for the player to move clubs, purely so they can 'earn' a bit of commission on the deal.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
How about the fact that is has been less than 2 weeks since that point? Christ, have some patience.

I think the poster's comments that I agreed with is, that we have weaknesses in other areas of the squad which need addressing. so sorry that him and I do agree on something that upsets you.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Would love to have him back, he would be great in our midfield breaking up opposition play and is pretty good in the box too as a bonus. Sadly, I fear someone will offer more than we can.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
All this talk about managers leaving because we are running on too tight a budget is b*llocks really though, isn't it.

Burnley finished miles above us, with a much smaller budget.
Derby finished miles above us, with a much smaller budget.

Oh, and Leicester stormed the league, on a wage budget VERY SIMILAR to ours. In 2012/13, the latest figures published, their wage bill was £26.1m, compared to ours of around £21m. Since then they've sold the vast majority of the big earners from that season (Beckford etc), and i'd hazard a guess at saying we now have very comparable wage bills.

If a manager wants to up sticks over the budget, so be it. I'd rather that than have someone like Oscar drain the club of millions more pounds by gambling for promotion.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Worth to remember the reason the club is putting an emphasis on the development squad is to spot the quality players before they become known. It is far more beneficial to us at the moment to spot the young Sidwells coming through than trying to get the older Sidwells once they have made it at premiership wage level. Or put simply, there was not much excitement when we signed Rohan Ince, now over a year later having him play for the first team and seen his potential, it is a different story.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All this talk about managers leaving because we are running on too tight a budget is b*llocks really though, isn't it.

Yup. That's the downside with hiring a young manager lazily perceived to be on the up. They want to get out while the4 going's good with a big tick on their CV. Poyet's second season (at either the Albion or Sunderland) would have looked worse than his first season. Same applies to Oscar's second season at the Albion if he'd hung around. It's all stepping stones for these people, and hard to see it changing anytime soon. If anything it's going to get worse. Future business model might be to offer only one year renewable contracts to managers, keep them out of the driving seat.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Definitely sign him up if we can, would boss the midfield with Toko and Stephens

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
that's why he's leaving Fulham. We have to be realistic and realise we ain't going to compete for players of his quality.

Not true according to the man himself, he wanted to sign a new deal last summer and this Jan, they just didnt want to talk.

He will stay in the Prem.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Fantastic player, Coventry away (at Highfield Road) was possibly one of the finest performances I've seen by an Albion player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here