Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sidwell on talks port now

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bloom did mention we probably won't reap the benefits yet for a good few years. You can't expect to turn out a Zaha or an Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain straight away. It's not how it works unfortunately

True, but I'm probably a little jaundiced primarily at the lack of decent forwards we seem to bring through since...well, forever. I hope these facilities will change all that, but Sidwells comments tonight didn't sit particularly well, because it reinforced the impression that its all a bit...soft and comfy. Time will tell I suppose.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bloom did mention we probably won't reap the benefits yet for a good few years. You can't expect to turn out a Zaha
Doesn't the facility have a pool?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Thats exactly what Sidwell was implying.

This all-singing, all-dancing ultra modern training ground academy is clearly a wonderful facility. But maybe in some ways its a bit TOO wonderful. Lets face it, it hasn't exactly brought much in the way of a harvest of players anywhere near ready to cut it in the 1st team here, or anywhere else yet has it. Is it making them soft ?

Probably a bit unfair, as it only opened what, 2 years ago. But Sidwell's remarks tonight didn't paint a particularly encouraging picture. Its not difficult to imagine a somewhat cossetted existence there for the U21's.

Agree with this and having seen a couple of DS games this season I would single out Harper as being particularly poor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
True, but I'm probably a little jaundiced primarily at the lack of decent forwards we seem to bring through since...well, forever. I hope these facilities will change all that, but Sidwells comments tonight didn't sit particularly well, because it reinforced the impression that its all a bit...soft and comfy. Time will tell I suppose.
Although SS comments do also, amazingly, sound somewhat generational.
Sure 10-15 years ago Steve wouldn't have been sat around on his I-Pad, because they weren't invented.
He wouldn't have had access to a state of the art training facility because on the whole, they weren't invented either.
He's have got a taste of it at Arsenal, but that's about it.
Even at Arsenal he wouldn't have been partaking in 'sports science'.

If injured at the Albion he'd have been rehabing chasing Bob Booker's dog around a field.

Assuming the club haven't spent all the money on a facility and don't know what to do with it, then you just have to trust the methods, no matter how much us old fogies don't like it (and I too am of that generation) and begin each sentence with 'in my day'.
If we're going to do that we might as well all move to Haywards Heath.

Agree with this and having seen a couple of DS games this season I would single out Harper as being particularly poor.
Poor by expected standards of a development squad player, or poor when stacked against the ridiculous hype?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Although SS comments do also, amazingly, sound somewhat generational.
Sure 10-15 years ago Steve wouldn't have been sat around on his I-Pad, because they weren't invented.
He wouldn't have had access to a state of the art training facility because on the whole, they weren't invented either.
He's have got a taste of it at Arsenal, but that's about it.
Even at Arsenal he wouldn't have been partaking in 'sports science'.

If injured at the Albion he'd have been rehabing chasing Bob Booker's dog around a field.

Assuming the club haven't spent all the money on a facility and don't know what to do with it, then you just have to trust the methods, no matter how much us old fogies don't like it (and I too am of that generation) and begin each sentence with 'in my day'.
If we're going to do that we might as well all move to Haywards Heath.

Poor by expected standards of a development squad player, or poor when stacked against the ridiculous hype?

He is very lazy.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Well, he's just BOMBED our DS squad

"I walk in the dressing room at the training ground and they're all on their phones, Sky TV is on"

Questioning the hunger. Wow.

Development squad squad. Is that a bit like automated teller machine machine? #pedantry

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'd say it's more of a generational thing than a dig at our lot in particular.

And notwithstanding Rocky vs Ivan Drago it's hard to believe that the incredible facilities will have a net negative effect on the DS Squad Squad.

But I'm reminded of that lovely Waddle quote from earlier this year about the England team - "They're all pampered, they're all just headphones". Wonderful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here