Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shuttle tractor to the Amex

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would think he will need some public liability insurance in case of accidents but tractor shuttles sound fun and already operate successfully at Goodwood Revival where they ferry people round the fields on the edge of the racetrack. Hope it happens :)

That's the crux of this, obviously. IF he has got the relevant insurances, bought a suitable trailer designed to carry passengers, applied for the necessary licenses, etc, then absolutely it could happen.

If he's just thought, "Ooh, I can make a quid or two here. I'll hitch the flatbed trailer up to the tractor, and off we go" then its a non starter.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I do wonder why none of the local farmers don't open up their land for parking on...
It probably wouldn't be practical. As soon as the ground starts getting wet it would get churned up and the farmer would probably have to spend all evening towing people out. Well that's my guess of why they don't do it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I do wonder why none of the local farmers don't open up their land for parking on...

Been saying this for a long time, 500 cars at £5 each, 23 matches equals £57,500 for leaving a field fallow for a year. What's not to like?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would think he will need some public liability insurance in case of accidents but tractor shuttles sound fun and already operate successfully at Goodwood Revival where they ferry people round the fields on the edge of the racetrack. Hope it happens :)

He runs a business so he will already have PL insurance. Just a case of advising them (no doubt an additional premium due to bigger exposure) and get the local authority to ok it. Can't see why they would object if he is insured!

As for making a field a car park, wouldn't he need to apply to change of use which would be unlikely if he is growing arable crops!!!!

Still, good luck to him. Not sure I would want a tractor ride in deepest darkest winter when the heavens open up!!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Been saying this for a long time, 500 cars at £5 each, 23 matches equals £57,500 for leaving a field fallow for a year. What's not to like?

There might be issues around access to the 'car park'...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He runs a business so he will already have PL insurance. Just a case of advising them (no doubt an additional premium due to bigger exposure) and get the local authority to ok it. Can't see why they would object if he is insured!

As for making a field a car park, wouldn't he need to apply to change of use which would be unlikely if he is growing arable crops!!!!

Still, good luck to him. Not sure I would want a tractor ride in deepest darkest winter when the heavens open up!!!

Bennett's Field was converted (temporarily) to a car park, and is planned to be returned to farming eventually. I wonder if the farmer there had any problems?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It probably wouldn't be practical. As soon as the ground starts getting wet it would get churned up and the farmer would probably have to spend all evening towing people out. Well that's my guess of why they don't do it.

That's why I mentioned about getting the plastic sheet 'things'. I think the reason they don't is because it would break about fifty rules and regulations.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That's why I mentioned about getting the plastic sheet 'things'. I think the reason they don't is because it would break about fifty rules and regulations.

I'm not sure what rules it would break, you can use land temporarily for any purpose (well aside from noisy motersports, shooting etc) for up to 28 days a calendar year without planning permission.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
image.jpg

Looks like he's cashing in already.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not sure what rules it would break, you can use land temporarily for any purpose (well aside from noisy motersports, shooting etc) for up to 28 days a calendar year without planning permission.

Actually that's quite encouraging and means we might be able to solve the transport problems by using all the empty fields by the Amex as temporary parking areas, rotating them round so they're not over-used. I bet opponents would still find some Rules and Regulations to stop it though, especially as it's in the South Downs National Park.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
H&S High Vis brigade will shut it down before it gets halfway across the first field.

Private land....social activity.....so they may be just out of the work related h&s restrictions that blight our lives and pollute our sightlines with luminous jobsworths.

Then again they probably have a way of closing him down....the club may say it requires a cut of the proceeds to help reduce the budget deficit.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think all of the fans from the Woodingdean areas should equip themselves with bicycles. job done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here