Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Showing the game on in ground screens

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
They do this in the Tax Payers Stadium too. But there you're so far away from the action it can be quite useful.
I don't 100% agree with it, but the instant replays coming up are good, especially if we score and get to cheer all over again.
VAR needs to be up on the screen

Reactions: SAC

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They do this in the Tax Payers Stadium too. But there you're so far away from the action it can be quite useful.
I don't 100% agree with it, but the instant replays coming up are good, especially if we score and get to cheer all over again.
VAR needs to be up on the screen
Bristol City did this the night of Sidwell's halfway line goal. Our cheering got louder with every replay :laugh:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
As someone currently without a season ticket, I can see merit to this - sitting in various parts of the ground, it is sod's law that something happens in the diagonally opposite far corner that you can't see what exactly is happening. It's why I tend to have an earphone in listening to JC and Warren's commentary.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Its to do with copyright stuff, you have to pay to show the game live. Not worth the club paying for it, as if you are there you are already able to watch in 4D.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It’s a bit random I know but I sit behind the press box and after a controversial incident not shown on the big screen and then going back to real time I find myself watching the game for a minute or two on the press box screens before I remember that I am am actually at the game. :shrug:

Don’t get old :lolol:
Getting old, no matter how bad, is better than the alternative.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It was useful at Palace, because the view is so shit you can't see a large chunk of the pitch.

Actually, not being able to see Palace would be a major advantage of not having big screens at Selhurst.

Didn’t they do a beam back a few years ago, and the screen was about as big as a normal television?
I seem to recall a lot of hilarity on here about it.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I had thought that showing live pictures during a game was outlawed, as it could influence refereeing decisions?

Every time I go to St Mary's I'm amazed by the tin-pottedness of them showing ADVERTS during play.
I took my daughter there a few years back and said the same thing, they had car adverts showing during the game, bloody weird!
it was my first experience of a pre match flame/floodlight show too....I'm sure the kids enjoyed it..

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The way they do the screen right now is fine. Replay a goal, but that's it. I'm not there to watch TV.

A list of the subs I suppose would be good

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I've never understood why they don't show the games on the concourse instead we get that please take your seats image even when the game is being televised.

Surely it makes commercial sense to keep people in the bars as long as possible.

For the Fulham game I had grub in Bruno's (crappy restaurant they've made in the MWB lounge) and it was awful on numerous levels and a big one was where the seat was. I was seat 1 in the West Stand so had a five minute walk between lounge and seat. Consequently I missed about 10 minutes of the second half whilst I drank my pint. Would have been more bearable had I been able to watch the game. Plenty of other clubs do it. I watched most of the second half at Arsenal in the league cup from the concourse with a beer adding to their coffers.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
West Ham show it live on a huge screen, except it has a seconds delay and is so off putting if on the lower terrace.
Also, I prefer the players names and numbers as a reference to the away players.

Reactions: Bod

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
West Ham show it live on a huge screen, except it has a seconds delay and is so off putting if on the lower terrace.
Also, I prefer the players names and numbers as a reference to the away players.
probably time for light to travel from screen all the way to the lower terrace.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Torn. Most Allsvenskan stadiums are showing the games while they're on but too often I find myself looking at the screen rather than on the pitch which sort of annoys me but happens automatically. Can see how it is necessary in some stadiums but generally speaking, less tech is better.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
probably time for light to travel from screen all the way to the lower terrace.
There’s also a delay at Palace which I’m reliably informed is because they had to re-route the cabling when they built that massive, modern new stand.

WHAT?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
why dont they show half times on screen. At least at Goldstone we had somebody walking round with a board

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here