Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we threaten to pull out 2018 World Cup if we qualify

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Britain Holland and Germany.....why?......dont know really,ive had a couple of stellas ......just thought they are generally good eggs.

would have included Australia but couldnt bring myself to do it :shrug:

Ice cold farmhouse cider for me. That was not available in Australia. So I agree with your last sentence.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I recently read that homosexuality is illegal in 81 countries. Often punished very harshly, and in most leading to cultural isolation. The situation in Russia is very difficult for some people, but far more bearable than most of those. These issues are all too often raised in an arbitrary way.

But then the majority of those 81 countries have such a law (and punishments) justified by 'religious reasons', not to mention the fact that a good 75% or more of those countries cannot be considered as anything more than 'third world'.

Russia is meant to be one of the top 10 most powerful countries in the world, yet they are the only country of such calibre that is completely intolerant of anyone foreign, non-white or gay. Their people are brainwashed by Putin's minions in the media, openly mocking people for not fitting in with their ideology.

Russia's stance on the LGBT community is prejudice for the sake of prejudice.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But then the majority of those 81 countries have such a law (and punishments) justified by 'religious reasons', not to mention the fact that a good 75% or more of those countries cannot be considered as anything more than 'third world'.

Russia is meant to be one of the top 10 most powerful countries in the world, yet they are the only country of such calibre that is completely intolerant of anyone foreign, non-white or gay. Their people are brainwashed by Putin's minions in the media, openly mocking people for not fitting in with their ideology.

Russia's stance on the LGBT community is prejudice for the sake of prejudice.

Russia's intolerance is more a cultural issue than a religious one, as your response indicates. But religion permeates culture, even if only as a historic residue of conditioning. Many of the laws that discriminate against gay people in a large number of nations are a legacy of colonial rule, with its religious teaching, as opposed to pre-existing cultural attitudes, so the irony is that the those who now judge from a distance were responsible for their original instigation...

My point here is not really to challenge though, more to highlight the hypocrisy of the 'western' approach to such matters. When Uganda introduced its anti-gay bill there were threats of this and that. Yet countries of strategic interest have been almost totally exempt from such criticism and uncompromising threats. Surely we cannot, however unintentionally, justify a two tiered approach towards an issue so uncomplicated in our view of standards and values. If we consider that it is wrong to persecute people on account of their sexuality, then that view should transcend religious thought or edict, lest we be of the view that religion be the highest moral judge-thus, by default, agreeing that homosexuality is wrong, yet somehow endorsing it at the same time.

Last edited:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Perhaps we should announce this before any investigation has taken place and save ourselves the bother of the qualifiers. That would serve those commies right!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or maybe we should be denied entry to the World Cup until we can explain why we invaded a country on the pre-text they had threatening weaponry, and had the intention of using it, only to find they didn't, and set off a chain of events that has made the world a far less stable place, ultimately costing the lives of thousands more of people than its wicked regime had ever taken. :shrug:

This nation is in no position to claim the lofty prize of moral arbiter to the rest of the planet.

You have no evidence that the world is a worse place because of the invasion. You seem to conveniently forget that before the war was the worst terrorist outrage ever committed. Also, has the war in Iraq been the catalyst for more fundamentalism or was it the war in Afghanistan where the aim was to destroy Al Qaeda's ability to wage terrorism. In other words, we don't know whether, in the absence of the two wars, there may have been even more terrorist outrages.

To be fair, we don't actually know it was Russia at this point, perhaps we [the public] never will know who was responsible.

But more importantly - politics has no place in football.

Seems clear to the vast majority that it was almost certainly Russian supplied equipment in the hands of the amateur rebels. What is also clear is there is a deliberate attempt to keep the investigators from the evidence by the Pro Russian rebels.

My worst three are Pakistan,Nigeria and Spain if that helps

Thought you were being serious then I saw Spain!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Pull out of all of them. Surely we can find enough excuses to cover our ineptitude.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I found it interesting that the Ukrainian troubles came to the fore just after the Winter Olympics finished in Russia...so maybe major sporting events do effect there ''alleged'' actions

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
This is the third civilian airliner shot down 'by accident', the only thing that was done in the other two incidents was the wrong country was bombed, leading to more innocent civvys being killed, so I'm not holding my breath

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland all in with a shout. Not so sure about Germany - they did have some serious human rights issues last century.

I think it's fair to say Sweden, Norway an Denmark all have a higher standard of living than the UK.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
To be fair, we don't actually know it was Russia at this point, perhaps we [the public] never will know who was responsible.

But more importantly - politics has no place in football.

Agreed. But it did have at the Moscow Olympics in the 80's when USA etc all boycotted.

Dandyman

In London village.
You have no evidence that the world is a worse place because of the invasion. You seem to conveniently forget that before the war was the worst terrorist outrage ever committed.

!

Which has precisely nothing to do with the Iraqi regime.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes by fook_, if those on here have 'concerns' about Israel and their perceived blatant militarism, surely those same gents should stand abhorred by Russia's flagrant disregard of the rules of conflict and political shenanigans.?!?

that along with the yanks who blew some of our soldiers to bits in so called "friendly fire" where are they now?, in fact who are they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here