Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we of had a pen in the second half?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I didn't see the lino put his flag across his chest as I was too busy screaming for the decision with everyone else. If he didn't put his flag across his chest then he didn't give it, surely.

Linesmen do not put the flag across their chest for a penalty any more. They signal and run to the corner flag, which is exactly what he did. Was definitely over-ruled by the ref. They do not wave their flag above their head when it's just a corner. Whether it was a penalty or not, no idea as I haven't see it again - but was furious at the time as the linesman clearly thought so and for the second time was disregarded.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Linesmen do not put the flag across their chest for a penalty any more. They signal and run to the corner flag, which is exactly what he did. Was definitely over-ruled by the ref. They do not wave their flag above their head when it's just a corner. Whether it was a penalty or not, no idea as I haven't see it again - but was furious at the time as the linesman clearly thought so and for the second time was disregarded.

This.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No he didn't but I suspect he got the word from the ref or saw that the ref was giving a corner cos I've never ever seen a corner given by the lino flagging like crazy.

Fair enough. As I say, I never looked at the linesman at the time. In fact I rarely immediately look at the lino when decisions are given, so just assumed the flag across the chest was still the given sign for a penalty.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ah, the famous verb ' to of'.
Yes, that's the one! Future tense:

I will of
You will of
He/she will of

We will of
You (pl) will of
They will of.

Past tense:
I ovved
You ovved
He/she ovved

We ovved
You (pl) ovved
They ovved

Didn'cher learn grammer at skool?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
The ONLY pen we should HAVE had was a BALLPOINT pen in the SECOND HALF of JANUARY. TOO TIGHT to spend BIG and NO PROVEN goal scorer. GAME over.

Or words to that effect.

UNrest.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I didn't see the lino put his flag across his chest as I was too busy screaming for the decision with everyone else. If he didn't put his flag across his chest then he didn't give it, surely.

The signal for a linesman (assistant) has changed, they no longer put the flag across the chest, but flag as normal and then move towards the corner flag keeping the flag raised

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
That corner/goal kick was a ludicrous decision by the ref. The lino had given a corner, was much closer watching it and the ref (who was by the 18 yard line) overruled him. The north stand was in uproar.

From WSU the goal kick decision looked a reasonable one, and the ref had a better view than his assistant. From replays the no penalty decision was spot on.
I think the ref did well to overrule his assistant twice.
My problem with his performance today was inconsistency (Christie really should have walked, we all know that; no censure for Martin's part in the Bruno/Ince incident, warning AK for kicking the ball away but ignoring Derby's constant interference with our dead ball situations etc) and the way he allowed Derby to get up to their usual tricks - constant fouling in the middle third and then walking away with the ball to break up our momentum, diving and play acting and time wasting. "The Derby Way" eh?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I was sat 5m away in the North. Absolutely no way a pen. Knocky dived and got touched when he was 75% of the way down after the defender got the ball. I was surprised he wasn't booked tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here